The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 25, 2021, 11:27:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That 'big project' I've been banging on about for a few years now....  (Read 28955 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #500 on: August 15, 2020, 11:18:56 am »

That's exactly what I've done, and it di the job beautifully. The only bits left now, really, are the trim under the edge of the tread. 

It's a bit awkward to photograph- especially at the top where there is no light- but this is the current state of play. 

I'll probably use my dremel to get into that moulding- so now I just need to go out for some sanding bands.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #501 on: August 15, 2020, 04:25:59 pm »

Looking fantastic James!, well worth all that hard work........not sure if the hand banister needs to stay though. Undecided

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #502 on: August 15, 2020, 05:14:36 pm »

The handrail is staying- at least for the moment- as I don't have anything better to replace it with.  I'll have to do some research into period-appropriate handrails.  Definitely it was worth all the work- I can say now that I'm out the other side of it- I think it is about ready to be stained.  I've cleaned it down with white spirit this afternoon (the instructions for the stain say to wash it with white spirit first and it let it dry out)- so hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to make a start on improving the colour. 
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #503 on: August 15, 2020, 06:59:16 pm »

I take my hat off to you, not only on the job you've done, but the fact you have achieved it in this heat!

(Yes, yes, I know, cue for those of you in hotter climes to have a chortle ...)

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #504 on: August 15, 2020, 07:08:51 pm »

Thank you (though actually, this was very shaded and the only heat I had to contend with was generated by myself)....

I think now that I'm about to start putting the whole thing back together I'm turning a corner with this little part of the project, there's still a lot to do but I can see the end of this bit of it.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #505 on: August 15, 2020, 07:29:06 pm »

I take my hat off to you, not only on the job you've done, but the fact you have achieved it in this heat!

(Yes, yes, I know, cue for those of you in hotter climes to have a chortle ...)

It's not a chortle, more like a snort and a pffft!  Grin

That's exactly what I've done, and it di the job beautifully. The only bits left now, really, are the trim under the edge of the tread. 

It's a bit awkward to photograph- especially at the top where there is no light- but this is the current state of play. 

I'll probably use my dremel to get into that moulding- so now I just need to go out for some sanding bands.

That's a very good job, but be careful with the Dremel, it'll eat a lot of material fast or leave round marks.

The photos give a lot of information on what to do. A darker color may be in order, as all that wood "wear" would blend in well with something like a mahogany colour. There's no reason why the staircase tone should match the other moulding in the house,being that it's a stand alone feature. It would contrast with the carpet.

Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #506 on: August 15, 2020, 08:16:54 pm »

Looking fantastic James!, well worth all that hard work........not sure if the hand banister needs to stay though. Undecided

I can see keeping the hand banister for assisting anyone who is unsteady on his feet, whatever the reason for the unsteadiness (age, health, blindness/poor vision.)
I've watched toddlers climb stairs and they always use the banister.
Admittedly I prefer its absence for aesthetic reasons, but sometimes aesthetics have to give way to practicality (and the vicissitudes of life  Tongue)

« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 08:20:13 pm by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #507 on: August 15, 2020, 08:17:55 pm »

I spent all of five minutes with a dremel on it.  I got a wrecked sanding belt and the smell of smouldering wood for my efforts.  Then I put it away and decided that it's good enough.  
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #508 on: August 16, 2020, 04:00:06 am »

I can see keeping the hand banister for assisting anyone who is unsteady on his feet, whatever the reason for the unsteadiness (age, health, blindness/poor vision.)

If the wooden bannister is too thick and dark, how about replacing it with a smaller diameter metal one, a bit further down the track?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 04:03:27 am by Banfili » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #509 on: August 16, 2020, 05:07:39 am »

SNIP

That's a very good job, but be careful with the Dremel, it'll eat a lot of material fast or leave round marks.

The photos give a lot of information on what to do. A darker color may be in order, as all that wood "wear" would blend in well with something like a mahogany colour. There's no reason why the staircase tone should match the other moulding in the house,being that it's a stand alone feature. It would contrast with the carpet.

I spent all of five minutes with a dremel on it.  I got a wrecked sanding belt and the smell of smouldering wood for my efforts.  Then I put it away and decided that it's good enough.  

Don't give up! The speed of the Dremel is too high. That's why it's burning. Do you have speed settings on your Dremel? Either way the only way to tackle that bit properly is by hand, wrapping a 150 grit piece of sandpaper around a rectangular block of wood so you get straight edges. That way you don't gouge the profile of the moulding.

If you insist on using the Dremel, then you should do that kind of detailing with a circular wire brush attachment, Dremel #428. It'll still gouge the wood a bit, but it's more likely not to burn the wood and reach all the nooks and crannies.

https://widgetsupply.com/product/bat66-428-ops.html
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 05:29:17 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #510 on: August 16, 2020, 05:11:02 am »

Admittedly I prefer its absence for aesthetic reasons, but sometimes aesthetics have to give way to practicality (and the vicissitudes of life  Tongue)

Banisters are a necessity, especially on steep staircases. I though there would be local legislation on their use, whether it's the UK or anywhere else for that matter!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #511 on: August 16, 2020, 05:26:05 am »

If the wooden bannister is too thick and dark, how about replacing it with a smaller diameter metal one, a bit further down the track?

I have a feeling that all that aging on the staircase requires a darker colour, might as well darken the banister, but the finish will be a problem (looks too polished), and you'd have to strip the finish off the banister. After all, what do we care, as long as James is doing all the work?  Grin  Cheesy Cheesy
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #512 on: August 16, 2020, 09:24:55 am »

I have a feeling that all that aging on the staircase requires a darker colour, might as well darken the banister, but the finish will be a problem (looks too polished), and you'd have to strip the finish off the banister. After all, what do we care, as long as James is doing all the work?  Grin  Cheesy Cheesy

When this.... (gestures outside).... madness is over, I'll organise a weekend working party and you can all come over and do it for me  Cheesy

Yes, that staircase is almost a 1 in 1 climb (possibly even a bit steeper than that), it's definitely the sort of thing you want a handrail on because one slip and there is no way you'll be able to stop yourself going all the way to the bottom. 
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #513 on: August 16, 2020, 11:09:59 am »

....Yes, that staircase is almost a 1 in 1 climb (possibly even a bit steeper than that), it's definitely the sort of thing you want a handrail on because one slip and there is no way you'll be able to stop yourself going all the way to the bottom. 
         Falling down the stairs
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #514 on: August 16, 2020, 11:27:09 am »

....Yes, that staircase is almost a 1 in 1 climb (possibly even a bit steeper than that), it's definitely the sort of thing you want a handrail on because one slip and there is no way you'll be able to stop yourself going all the way to the bottom.  
        Falling down the stairs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k1rQIwuF4lQ
Yeah. I think you're almost there. With a dark enough stain you can reincorporate those dark tones into the wood. It's just the white bits that will be trouble. Try the Dremel #428 rotary brush attachmen, might be worth your while. One warning though: wear plastic eye protection, those wire brushes tend to break apart sending random bits of wire alongwwith whatever you're scraping, and you don't want any of it to get to your eyes.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 11:40:33 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #515 on: August 16, 2020, 11:54:38 am »

Those remaining white bits could be gone with, you already have paint stripper and a heat gun, add a Combination Shave Hook and BINGO, possibly, maybe...........
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #516 on: August 16, 2020, 12:16:38 pm »

The worst of the remaining white has proved quite brittle in some areas and has just crumbled off with a bit of coercion from the paint scraper.  Largely it's confined to the underside moulding on just the bottom four or five steps, so if I can sort out some of my files and other scrapers it might just drop off quite nicely. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #517 on: August 16, 2020, 01:08:01 pm »

At long last!!!

It's going to need three coats (so sayeth the tin), it's an external woodstain (which is that the shop had, however considering this is going to see quite a lot of traffic....) and in maybe four hours I'll be able to go back and do the steps I've missed.  Hopefully a two and half litre tin will be enough to completely do the staircase.
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #518 on: August 16, 2020, 01:36:05 pm »

Just an idea here.

Have you thought of caulking the gaps in the floorboards? Could prevent cold winter draughts up your trouser legs in the future.

I read somewhere, many years ago, a simple mashed up newspaper mixed with pva teased into the joints, allowed to dry will take stain and foot traffic.

As I say, just a random thought.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #519 on: August 16, 2020, 01:47:07 pm »

Those gaps are into an internal service space anyway- they come out onto the ceiling of the cupboard under the stairs.  I haven't noticed any draught from them- yet. 
Long term they may well be replaced, if a like-for-like replacement can be sourced. 
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #520 on: August 16, 2020, 03:54:15 pm »

TBH, the banister might be the perfect opportunity for a slight bit of anachronism. Based on my recollection of growing up in a similar house, and my own experience of working in historic properties, I can't recall seeing a contemporary example of a wall mounted banister rail, so you might be better off finding a modern style you like which matches the stain on the stairs, or otherwise decorating it in a Vicwardian/SP manner.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #521 on: August 16, 2020, 06:49:45 pm »

The bannister rail, truth be told, doesn't really bother me too much.  Yes it's quite bulky but it matches with the balustrade along the top, which is also quite chunky sections of timber.  If I can find something more period-appropriate- fantastic.  If not, which so far I've drawn a blank and what you've said suggests I'm not going to get much luck, I can at least live with it.  It might need another coat or two of stain as it's a little work-worn but it's not something abominable. 

The current state of play with the staircase is that the whole lot has been given one coat of stain, and half of it has been given a second.  I think I'm going to call it a night there.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #522 on: August 16, 2020, 11:05:54 pm »

The bannister rail, truth be told, doesn't really bother me too much.  Yes it's quite bulky but it matches with the balustrade along the top, which is also quite chunky sections of timber.  If I can find something more period-appropriate- fantastic.  If not, which so far I've drawn a blank and what you've said suggests I'm not going to get much luck, I can at least live with it.  It might need another coat or two of stain as it's a little work-worn but it's not something abominable. 

The current state of play with the staircase is that the whole lot has been given one coat of stain, and half of it has been given a second.  I think I'm going to call it a night there.

I wouldn't worry about matching eras. This is an antique house, it's meant to show the passage of time! And the stain you chose was taken wery well by the patina on the staircase. Did you choose the colour to match the banister? Because from this vantage point the banister blends perfectly with the staircase. Definitely looking good. The staircase will look like an antique but in a most pleasing way!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #523 on: August 17, 2020, 01:08:31 pm »

The handrail and balustrade rather dictated the stain, as I wanted the whole lot to match. It's keyed in a lot better than I thought it would- I was expecting two subtly different shades. It looks very promising at the moment.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #524 on: August 18, 2020, 12:30:45 am »

The handrail and balustrade rather dictated the stain, as I wanted the whole lot to match. It's keyed in a lot better than I thought it would- I was expecting two subtly different shades. It looks very promising at the moment.

It definitely is. Though a "weathered" or "worn" look is more of a contemporary affectation. In the past people wold be more likely to just paint over it. But that is exactly the problem, isn't it? People didn't have an appreciation for the past, the history. Now that old things are rare, we're proud to show the patina.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: