The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 27, 2021, 08:05:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That 'big project' I've been banging on about for a few years now....  (Read 32498 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #375 on: July 09, 2020, 12:21:19 pm »

I'm calling a halt there for the week. 

I've achieved;

- circa 23' of skirting board sanded down;
- two doorways sanded down (one completely to bare wood the other to about 90% of what I want);
- radiator taken down ready for the plasterer;
- loose tiles in the floor relaid;
- decision on the final paint colour made;
- all the wallpaper taken down for first phase of the hallway redecoration;
- plastic trim around the front door taken down;
- plasterer booked in;
- guttering guy booked in. 

I'm just going to clean up now and call a halt there.  Something that may or may not need doing I've learnt is a replacement boiler.  The current one shuts itself down everytime I shower, the plumber reckons it's a symptom of some or other component being worn out and advises not to do anything rash yet but he'll make a few calls and get back to me. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #376 on: July 09, 2020, 01:44:52 pm »

You are doing very well, though, James!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #377 on: July 09, 2020, 01:59:57 pm »

I'm tired. I'm just so very, very tired.  I could really have done with- well in an ideal world without pague striking literally a few weeks after I moved in- not so much spending money on furniture or paint or anything like that, but just getting the trades in to give their assessments and spending this year getting things like the plumbing and the guttering and the plaster sorted out.  I did actually start off with that intention- you might recall I had an electrican come round and given a list of jobs and a carpenter came round and was given a list of jobs- and then this bloody thing struck didn't it and what I've done so far is and was basically born out of frustration at nothing else getting done.   
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #378 on: July 11, 2020, 06:22:50 pm »

A few days away from it (and back to work on Monday), I think tomorrow I'll just clean the woodwork down with sugarsoap and then water to make sure it's all cleaned up.  No point staining the wood until the plasterer has done his work.  Once the plasterer has been though, I should hopefully be in a situation where all I need to do is paint the walls, reinstate the radiator and clean the floor up and then- done (for a given value of). 

There will still be the small matters of a radiator cover (I'm looking through photographs and blueprints, what I want to build - and it will need to be a bespoke one- is something inspired by Mackintosh or Stickley) and a new light fitting. 

And then of course in a week's time the guttering guys are coming to do the guttering on the garage and the rear half of the house. 

And then onto the front garden.  I have ideas for this (I've shared them before) but of course the longer you sit on them the more you refine them.  I'm now thinking of slightly lowering the level of the gravel area- which means a bit of digging out (and that spoil I'll move onto the back in readiness for my plans there) and, if my budget runs to it, breaking out the concrete pad and footpath and going for brick or tile.   
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #379 on: July 12, 2020, 07:57:25 am »

I know you have had a few hits and misses with your personal work (in Victoria there has been an increase of DIY injuries during our shutdown), but you are contributing to maintaining the income of your tradies. That, and hopefully the quality of the end result, is a positive (even though it is a negative on your wallet) .

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #380 on: July 12, 2020, 08:23:33 am »

The current one shuts itself down everytime I shower, the plumber reckons it's a symptom of some or other component being worn out and advises not to do anything rash yet but he'll make a few calls and get back to me. 
Is it ONLY the shower, or when other hot taps are run, the boiler shuts down?

IF only the shower, try running without the head on, hose only, if it works, clean the holes in the shower head with viakal, worth a try 3 minutes, 3 quid versus 3 grand. May not be enough water for the flow switch to kick in.

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #381 on: July 12, 2020, 09:27:45 am »

It tends to be just when the shower is running, I'll give that a go with the viakal. 
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #382 on: July 12, 2020, 09:33:59 am »

Do take the head off and try with the hose only first, if ok try cleaning the head, or purchase a new better one, suggests the shower rather than the boiler to me.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #383 on: July 12, 2020, 11:14:44 am »

Well I took the shower head and ran it, I kept the boiler cabinet open so I could so what was going on there too as I was doing so. 

The boiler pressure starts fluctuating madly.  It usually runs somewhere between 1.5 and 2 bar, it plunged down to about 0.8 then built back up to 2, then fell again to about 0.8 and then went up toward 2.8 to 3 bar and then locked out.  Hmmmm......
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #384 on: July 12, 2020, 12:39:32 pm »

That ain't right, oh well, bang goes my theory (hope the boiler doesn't do the same), worth a go tho.

see what solution your Plumber comes up with.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #385 on: July 12, 2020, 12:52:30 pm »

It was worth a try though. 

It could be something as simple as last time I had an emergency plumber out they didn't repressurise the system fully (ie- air got in or out or whichever it is), or it could be something more.  I've no inclination to go tinkering with it understandably so shall see what the plumber says.  I think a new boiler though would give me complete peace of mind. 

It never rains but it pours, eh?
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #386 on: July 12, 2020, 02:31:45 pm »

Pressure fluctuation?
Maybe there is something wrong within the valves.
Seems to me that the valve is too slow to react, so the pressure drops, then over-reacts and starts oscillating until it trips the pressure warning.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #387 on: July 13, 2020, 09:10:52 am »

Fluctuations in pressure would suggest (to me) a few of possibilities:

• System is air locked (the same thing would occur if you ran the heating but you haven't need too because it's summer) this should be an easy fix, turn on heating (to open up the boiler's heat exchange loop to the central heating system) and bleed all radiators, re-pressurising using the boiler fill loop when needed, repeat until the air is gone. (though this may be more difficult with radiators missing/capped off)
  • One of the pressure reducing valves in the boiler has failed/is failing, it will be plumber job but these tend to be bought-in components and are (usually) fairly easy to obtain.

Can you tell if when this happens the burner is shutting on/off each time? (leave shower running and listen to the boiler to see if you can her the gas going on/off).  If it is, that might point more towards some sort of temperature sensor/thermocouple issue

"Any machine is a smoke-machine if you screw up badly enough"
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #388 on: July 13, 2020, 05:15:12 pm »

Yep, definitely.  Turn the shower on and the boiler comes on (you can hear it fire up, much the same as turning a tap on). Given a few minutes it starts making wheezing noises (air/water in the pipes) and then it goes quiet, and the lock-out light comes on.  Generally I have enough time to get it warm and wash my hair, and then everything else has to be doen with cooler/ tepid/ cold water.

When running the taps, it seems to take ages to warm up and then you get a wheezing noise and then hot water carries on with no real problem.  I've not yet been able to get the boiler to lock out just through running the taps (but then again I'm trying to avoid that as knowing my luck I'd break the boiler completely as a result of experimental efforts to diagnose the issue). 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #389 on: July 14, 2020, 06:11:58 pm »

I've decided to bite the bullet and asked the plumber to source and install a new boiler.  It's coming next Thursday and that will, I hope, give me complete peace of mind.  Currently I'm going upstairs everytime I run a tap to make sure it's not locked itself out. 

Of course, a few hours after I took that decision the oven decided it didn't want its door any more, and threw that on the floor and smashed it.  So now I've had to buy a new oven too, as the door was nearly half the cost of a complete new appliance. 

I've not had a good time of it of late. 
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #390 on: July 14, 2020, 07:50:11 pm »

I've decided to bite the bullet and asked the plumber to source and install a new boiler.  It's coming next Thursday and that will, I hope, give me complete peace of mind.  Currently I'm going upstairs everytime I run a tap to make sure it's not locked itself out. 

Of course, a few hours after I took that decision the oven decided it didn't want its door any more, and threw that on the floor and smashed it.  So now I've had to buy a new oven too, as the door was nearly half the cost of a complete new appliance. 

Well it may be scant comfort, but they do say bad things come in threes so by my reckoning you're in the clear. But I understand it may well be an uncomfortable time.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #391 on: July 14, 2020, 08:01:09 pm »

In all honesty sometimes I wonder if the Universe is planning to thoroughly demoralise me then put a train through the back garden. 

Othertimes, this feels remarkably apt. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPxAgOYoIzw
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #392 on: July 14, 2020, 08:19:07 pm »

In all honesty sometimes I wonder if the Universe is planning to thoroughly demoralise me then put a train through the back garden. 

Othertimes, this feels remarkably apt. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPxAgOYoIzw

Somewhat reminds me of this..

GEORGE FORMBY: It Serves Me Right (I Shouldn't have Joined)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #393 on: July 15, 2020, 03:10:12 pm »

You're just experiencing an appliance laboral strike.

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #394 on: July 15, 2020, 03:44:52 pm »

You're just experiencing an appliance laboral strike.

I was replacing appliances and fittings even before I even moved in to my house! Had to replace the toilet pan, which was cracked - neither the real estate agent or the owner had noticed that. Then, first time I used the stove two (of four) hot plate elements and the oven were broken. Couldn't test those before I moved in as the electricity wasn't connected at that stage. Next was a wood burning stove for the lounge room, and about twelve months after that I had to replace the gravity fed hot water service (boiler) that lived in the roof space  with a new mains pressure external hot water service! What a start! Then, add in the 50-60 thousand for all the renovations between 2013 and 2016 ....!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #395 on: July 16, 2020, 05:57:19 pm »

I'm in a slightly better mood tonight.  Tomorrow

1) The guttering guys sort out the rear half of the house and the garage;
2) The new oven arrives;
3) The plasterer comes to have another look at the hallway (after some more wallpaper was removed).

Slowly, very slowly, at least some of the jobs are getting looked at. 

Meanwhile I'm wondering if there is anything to be gained quite yet from removing the stair carpet.  No, perhaps wait until after the plastering is done. 
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #396 on: July 17, 2020, 04:54:30 pm »

Oh go on, take up the stair carpet, you know you want to.

Besides you might find something interesting - my mother-in-law used to put ten and twenty pound notes under hers ("to keep them safe") and sometimes used to 'lose' them if they got pushed too far in.  Fortunately she told us this after she'd moved into sheltered housing but before we sold the house.

We found enough to have made it worth looking!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #397 on: July 17, 2020, 05:19:42 pm »

Oh go on, take up the stair carpet, you know you want to.

Besides you might find something interesting - my mother-in-law used to put ten and twenty pound notes under hers ("to keep them safe") and sometimes used to 'lose' them if they got pushed too far in.  Fortunately she told us this after she'd moved into sheltered housing but before we sold the house.

We found enough to have made it worth looking!

Sure beats finding only loose coins in the sofa  Grin

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #398 on: July 17, 2020, 05:25:10 pm »

The only things I've found so far have been huge lumps of rubbery gunk someone thought was a good idea to fill the joint between the plaster and the skirting boards with  Cheesy

Today's activities:

The new oven arrived, and had to be unpacked to get it inside (it's now going to sit in a corner of the kitchen for a week until the plumber can fit it).  The garage and the rear of the house have been fitted up with new fascia board and guttering (photos later), which is a relief. 
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #399 on: July 17, 2020, 05:28:33 pm »

Not inquiring into any specific numbers but.....gosh o'mighty I'll bet your credit card/bank account is throwing a hissy fit right now.  Shocked
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: