The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 19, 2020, 09:59:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That 'big project' I've been banging on about for a few years now....  (Read 537 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2020, 10:29:11 pm »

Excellent idea.
James, if you'll provide the tea I'll bring the brandy.

Do let us know when the housewarming party starts.  I'll bring scones. Wink

I'll let you know when the corporeal Brassgoggles clubhouse opens its doors.  I'm hoping to organise an open-house style event in the summer for people who want to come visit. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2020, 10:49:26 pm »

Wasn´t the idea to have the party at Cremorne & Pittance staton?
Waiting room should be big enough.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2020, 04:36:01 am »

The move-in has begun; a couple hundred books have gone over (and it still looks like I've three times as many to actually shift...)

In other news, a television stand arrived (that's going in the alcove in the front room), as did a rather nice table and chairs (for the dining room) and a bed is turning up tomorrow.  So I have at least the rudiments of some furnishings.  I'm looking at a nice leather Chesterfield sofa too- if it can be made to fit- but that's a purchase for next month.  

First thoughts for the front sitting room/library.

For the dining room I have in mind lighter colours (it faces north so needs all the help it can get) with a picture rail and frieze, a nice arts and crafts style wallpaper (probably not a Morris original as they're £80 a roll at least) down to chair rail level and then matchboard panelling below that.  

Complete with puppy, James?
I have a dog now - I think she will look lovely on a rug in front of the wood-burner this coming winter (if we get one, that is!)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2020, 12:08:51 am »

I'm allergic to dogs, sadly.  Which is a damn shame as I absolutely adore them. 

The move is tomorrow and then- I will probably 'go dark' for a few weeks as I won't have internet until early March...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2020, 08:17:16 am »

I'm allergic to dogs, sadly.  Which is a damn shame as I absolutely adore them. 

The move is tomorrow and then- I will probably 'go dark' for a few weeks as I won't have internet until early March...

Cat? They look really good in front of a fire too!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2020, 02:41:53 pm »

Cat- I'm not sure about.  I like cats.  But I've not been around one long enough to know if it will kick off my allergies. 

We moved most of the stuff over yesterday, which was a long and exhausting exercise, but that took so much time that there was none left in which to build what furniture I have.  So that can be next weekend's task, when I plan to move in.  This week I'll be roughing it with the bare minimum of belongings. 
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2020, 10:41:53 pm »

Cat- I'm not sure about.  I like cats.  But I've not been around one long enough to know if it will kick off my allergies. 

We moved most of the stuff over yesterday, which was a long and exhausting exercise, but that took so much time that there was none left in which to build what furniture I have.  So that can be next weekend's task, when I plan to move in.  This week I'll be roughing it with the bare minimum of belongings. 

Many people with "cat" allergies are not really allergic to cats, but to cat spit, which gets on their coat when they groom. A daily wipe over with a damp cloth usually takes care of that problem, or if allergy is sever, twice a day. Or you could get get a couple of rabbits (desexed males are best!) - they can be litter trained, like cats!
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2020, 08:15:42 am »

A daily wipe over with a damp cloth usually takes care of that problem......

And who takes care of the claw marks you receive during that process?
(Our furball would take revenge if you approach her with anything wet).
Wearing chainmail is impractical for catching the cat.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2020, 08:28:48 am »

Wearing chainmail may be the only way to keep from getting scratched - outside of your face, which will shurely be targeted first.

Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2020, 08:52:14 am »

Good luck with this James, I bought a mid-terraced house just over a year ago. Mine was built in 1997 to a vaguely Victorian style (but with the addition of a double length garage in place of the cellar). I am slowly Victorianising/Steampunking it internally.

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2020, 09:36:21 am »

Wearing chainmail may be the only way to keep from getting scratched - outside of your face, which will shurely be targeted first.

If you start when the cat is a young kitten they get used to it, and its more or less what their mothers did when they were babies. Im not allergic, but I do give my boys a wipe down with a damp cloth - and they are both rescues!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2020, 09:12:18 pm »

I was working from home today (because the country that invented the railway grinds to a halt when it rains) and my mother was dog-sitting for my brother.  Charlie likes cats.  Cats don't like Charlie.  If I had a cat it would have to be a nice cat. 

Most of my stuff got moved in on Saturday, but it took so long that there was to time to build or organise the furniture.  I'm roughing it until next weekend when there will be another determined effort to move the last bits and pieces in and start making headway on clearing things away. 

It might be a few months yet before I make a determined start- much as I want to just grab a brush and some paint and get cracking- I have this determined idea what I want (which I call 'Edwardian' even if it might not be- it's the feel of the thing I tend to go for rather than making sure every detail is absolutely correct).  The problem is, if I jump straight in, I'll end up with all of the rooms in a state, not knowing where to turn and things will stall.  This is why I tend to build my models one at a time (or at least try to). 

The other thing of course is- the cost!  There's been an awful lot of money spent this month already without throwing more of the stuff around. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: