The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 18, 2021, 02:40:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That 'big project' I've been banging on about for a few years now....  (Read 28038 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #200 on: May 16, 2020, 09:08:15 pm »

The weekend's activity is repainting the window sill and reveal.  I've got some eggshell brilliant white paint, which seems to be going down really well.  Efforts to sand *all* of the existing paint off the reveal were terminated as successive coats of paint stripper removed increasingly less paint, it reached the point where the effort wasn't worth the result.  So I washed it all down- the stripper did at least do a good job of removing the worst excesses of the existing paint, which had deep runs and ridges in it- and set to with paint brush.  I think another coat on the window sill tomorrow and that part will be done.  And then onto cleaning up the cornices with some emulsion.

Thinking ahead to when damnable plague is finished I'm starting to look at brass- or even oak- electrical sockets and switches.   

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #201 on: May 17, 2020, 01:47:54 pm »

Window reveal and sill are done- next stage is cleaning up the cornices.  Tried white emulsion on these, it was next to useless so the eggshell brilliant white was brought onto the job.  It's done quite well but it will need a second coat (rapidly coming to the conclusion that phrase should be the subtitle for the thread) and trying to paint in the very bottom of the cornice- the underside- is an exercise in futility.  So when I touch in the blue paint- probably next week- the underside of the cornice will probably remain blue and then the white will come in at the lowest point of the vertical plane.  When that is done there is still the skirting board to attend to, which needs at least partially stripping down and repainting (and given how quickly the eggshell paint is diminishing I think I'll need a second tin of it to be sure of being able to finish the job), but when that is done- and when the shelf brackets have been cleaned up (I'll need to lay in a stock of black metal paint for those) and the mantelpiece has been cleaned down, I'll have taken it as far as I personally can.  We'll then be in the hands of damnable plague as everything else needs to be done by tradespeople who obviously can't come right now. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #202 on: May 17, 2020, 03:53:16 pm »

Today's activity has been to start cleaning up the cornices.  However, in other news, I may have been able to pin down the date of the house a little more.  

Now, this is a bit convoluted, so bear with me.  

The particular area of Stafford where I live has a local history website, part of which gives details of the people who appear on the local war memorial and roll of honour.  One of those people is listed as 'killed in action 1917, the son of ------, of 267 Ventnor Terrace.'  Now I have noticed that most of the larger houses in the street have names- I always have a private chuckle at one of them because it's the name of the slum estate where my Mother grew up....

But I've never noticed a Ventnor Terrace and I've been wondering why my own terrace doesn't seem to have a name, like the others.  I'd also point out that the current no.267 is a terraced house.  In fact it's a few doors further down my own terrace.    

So I signed up for a trial period on a genealogy website and trawled through the 1911 Census.  It turns out 'Ventnor Terrace' was a terrace of nine houses.  None of them are identified as No.267.  My terrace is also, a terrace of nine houses... further, if I look at the 1923 Ordnance Survey map, there's only one terrace of nine houses- and wouldn't you know but it's my terrace.  

It's all conjectural of course as there's no definitive proof, but there's substantial circumstancial evidence, I would argue, that the following is true:

- The current No.262 - No.270 constitute what was formerly known as Ventnor Terrace;
- Being on the end, my house would either have been No.1 or No.9;
- As both No.1 and No.9 are listed as occupied in the 1911 Census it must therefore follow of course that the house predates that.  

~Addendum~ supposition confirmed.  Typing "Ventnor Terrace, Doxey" into Google brings up a deadlink but of course the first few lines appear on the Google search page.  "Number 50, Doxey still bears a faint sign indicating Hawthorne Terrace. Opposite was Ventnor Terrace including the houses from the junction with The Crescent...."

The Crescent is the name of the street running down the side of my house, No.50 is only a few yards donw the road from my house- on the opposite side- and the faint sign is actually painted on (the bricks are painted a dull cream colour and the text is largely washed out).  So the next question now is- is there any evidencethat my house would have had a similar sign?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 04:47:44 pm by James Harrison » Logged
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #203 on: May 17, 2020, 07:21:18 pm »

Always interesting to find out the history of a house. As a student I once lived in a house where the roofline was very slightly different to the houses either side. I found out from chatting to neighbours that the houses on the road had all been individually built (despite being a terrace) and the one we were in was the first built. Interesting but also a pain as the different roof angles resulted in lots of leaky lead flashing!

"Any machine is a smoke-machine if you screw up badly enough"
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #204 on: May 17, 2020, 07:26:22 pm »

Oh absolutely it's interesting.  I've just been looking up whether I could reinstate the 'Ventnor Terrace' moniker.  Well, after a fashion I could, but it would cost money that's arguably better spent elsewhere and at the end of it I'd have an address that looks odd, if I could get [number] Ventnor Terrace, [address] I probably would but it looks like it would have to be the format Ventnor Terrace [number] [address] which is wrong no matter which way you cut it. 
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #205 on: May 17, 2020, 11:39:23 pm »

Oh absolutely it's interesting.  I've just been looking up whether I could reinstate the 'Ventnor Terrace' moniker.  Well, after a fashion I could, but it would cost money that's arguably better spent elsewhere and at the end of it I'd have an address that looks odd, if I could get [number] Ventnor Terrace, [address] I probably would but it looks like it would have to be the format Ventnor Terrace [number] [address] which is wrong no matter which way you cut it. 

Please do keep on with the search - I do love an historical mystery! My own house was built in 1968/9 by the owner/builder, and doesn't have any kind of mystery about it at all, apart from why on earth they built it with the bedrooms on the side facing the noisiest side of the house next door - the kitchen and living room!
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #206 on: May 18, 2020, 10:03:12 am »

Why not go for a purely decorative name plate by the door such as "Ventnor Villa" or some such? I remember plenty of houses/terraces in my home town which had stone 'builder's plates' with a name and date such as "[X] Villa 19XX" set into the front.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #207 on: May 18, 2020, 05:45:15 pm »

That's one option, but I'm not sure if it comes under the Council's definition of naming/ changing the name of the house.  I think for the present I'll just informally refer to it as 'Ventnor Terrace' in conversation rather than start adding it to my address.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #208 on: May 18, 2020, 08:43:13 pm »

This might be of some help to you, James. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/advice/4209325/Property-advice-How-to-change-the-name-of-your-house.html. Or just ask the P.O. & L.A. for more info.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #209 on: May 18, 2020, 09:23:05 pm »

This might be of some help to you, James. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/advice/4209325/Property-advice-How-to-change-the-name-of-your-house.html. Or just ask the P.O. & L.A. for more info.
I get 404 on that link.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #210 on: May 18, 2020, 09:40:08 pm »

So do I as well,strange it worked earlier.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #211 on: May 19, 2020, 06:10:19 pm »

I can't access that link either  Sad

The main difficulty I foresee- should I decide to pursue reinstating the old name- is that the house is one of a terrace of nine.  Maybe, when this damned plague is over, time to meet the neighbours and sound them out on it.  It'd be very odd if only the one house in the terrace used it. 
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #212 on: May 20, 2020, 01:00:54 am »

Would you want to have your place just being one of 9, or somewhere unique?

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #213 on: May 20, 2020, 05:29:05 pm »

The name applies to all nine though, hence the 'Terrace' bit.  You can't have one or two houses in the row using the name and the others not bothering, it makes nonsense of it. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #214 on: May 20, 2020, 07:15:44 pm »

Update: the blue paint is just about finished.  There's just a few areas of white cornice to clean up (again) and then to source some black Hammerite or hobby paint for the brackets.

~Addendum~ white paint cleaned up.  This has been a saga, trying to repaint a whole room by myself. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 09:03:32 pm by James Harrison » Logged
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #215 on: May 20, 2020, 09:07:23 pm »

9PM, May 20 2020, and the walls are done- basically the stuff to be done now is smaller cleaning up jobs, a new light and new radiator (and painting behind that, when the existing radiator is removed).  Two days shy of having been here for three months.   
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #216 on: May 21, 2020, 12:00:21 am »

James, what a lovely room! That is looking really beautiful - "Proper job", sir!!
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #217 on: May 21, 2020, 06:34:43 am »

I'm gonna have to eat my previous words of doubt.

That looks really good!

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #218 on: May 21, 2020, 09:34:56 am »

I'm gonna have to eat my previous words of doubt.

That looks really good!

James, what a lovely room! That is looking really beautiful - "Proper job", sir!!

Thanks! I think what I'm finding is why I failed as a wannabe architect 15-some-odd years ago. I have these ideas which can work well in execution, but when it comes to describing them either orally, written or drawn I find of struggle to get my intention across. The other rooms of course will need to be treated a bit lighter as I just won't get the same levels of sunlight or even daylight, but I'm holding off doing anything until I have a concept for what I want to achieve.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #219 on: May 21, 2020, 12:25:49 pm »

That sounds like a good plan!

I have plans for my place if I can get enough money together to see the project through! Stages 7 to 10 in the renovation plan!!
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #220 on: May 21, 2020, 03:25:21 pm »

That does look rather splendid
SeVeNeVeS
Master Tinkerer
England England

« Reply #221 on: May 21, 2020, 04:07:59 pm »

That sounds like a good plan!

I have plans for my place if I can get enough money together to see the project through! Stages 7 to 10 in the renovation plan!!
10/20 years in, a sudden, unexplained brainfart in the middle of the night ruins all previous plans and when put into action covers the whole house in brick dust and rubble, which takes the next year to clean............ Bin there, done that  Roll Eyes
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #222 on: May 21, 2020, 05:42:11 pm »

I hope not, I really do.  I'm thinking at the moment 'how splendid it would be' if I were to lower the upstairs ceilings and install a second staircase to turn the attic space into a habitable room.  Realistically- I don't have the money to employ somebody to do it, nor the wherewithall to do it myself.  Mind you, by the time I'm ready to look at the upstairs rooms- the bathroom and the bedrooms (which are almost at the bottom of the list), I might be able to afford it. 

No, I think if I'm going to go into the tear own and rebuild side of things I'd be looking at adding a conservatory down the side of the kitchen and a small summerhouse by the garage- or even installing a second floor over the garage space.  But this is extra room I don't need yet. 
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #223 on: May 22, 2020, 08:58:31 am »

9PM, May 20 2020, and the walls are done- basically the stuff to be done now is smaller cleaning up jobs, a new light and new radiator (and painting behind that, when the existing radiator is removed).  Two days shy of having been here for three months.   
Nice colour combination. Blue on white and brown or possibly orange-brown. Sounds odd, but it's a combination I know very well, because we had it all over at my childhood home to great effect.

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #224 on: May 22, 2020, 05:40:46 pm »

Funny you should mention brown because that's the colour of the curtains that were left behind when I moved in.  I did think they might need replacing but having put them back up a few nights ago as an interim measure whilst I draw breath (and wait for payday) I've actually noticed they complement the blue quite well, so they're probably going to stay.

The last few bits I'm planning to look at are cleaning up the fireplace and the shelf brackets; I was able, yesterday, to buy a tin of black eggshell paint so that's going to be this weekend's chore.  There are 40 brackets to repaint and so far I've done 6 of them, and my assessment of the task is that watching paint dry would be less mind-numbingly dull.   
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: