Author Topic: That 'big project' I've been banging on about for a few years now....  (Read 95631 times)

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
Re: That 'big project' I've been banging on about for a few years now....
« Reply #1275 on: June 04, 2022, 02:52:33 pm »
What needs to be understood though is that the eye doesn't just concentrate on oneof these, … you find your attention darting across it rather than just focussing on one small area.  The mind takes in the overall effect …

I had actually noticed that in the wide-angle shots. I was just curious how much work went into it.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #1276 on: June 05, 2022, 12:18:50 am »
It actually gets better and better - just looks totally 'right'. As if the house is controlling its own decoration.

James Harrison

• Immortal
  • Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences
« Reply #1277 on: June 05, 2022, 04:06:22 pm »
I'm not really too surprised by that, because the decor of this particular room is at least informed or 'inspired by' period photographs of contemporary interior design.  The sitting room and the hallway, on the other hand, are more based on my own ideas (the sitting room) or a few photos of modern recreations (hallway). 

So long as the whole all hangs together though I'm taking a fairly laissez-faire approach to my influences and inspirations.  I'd hesitate before pigeon-holing the project as 'conservation', 'restoration' or mere 'refurbishment', as there are elements of all three (and a lot more besides) going on as I deem appropriate.  Perhaps the closest description I've yet come up with is that it's a modern take on Viollet-le-Duc's philosophy of 'restoration to a state of completion that may never have originally existed'- I'm under no illusion that if I treated this as a true restoration project the bathroom would become a third bedroom and be replaced by a tin bath in front of a fireplace, for instance. 

I think I'll stop myself there, as this is another instance where sadly we simply don't have time for my three-hour lecture on building conservation philosophy and it's practical application to working buildings as opposed to museums. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

frances

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #1278 on: June 05, 2022, 06:23:55 pm »
This room is looking very livable-in.  Well done you.

James Harrison

• Immortal
« Reply #1279 on: June 05, 2022, 06:39:12 pm »
This room is looking very livable-in.  Well done you.

Thanks- it's getting there. 

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #1280 on: June 06, 2022, 02:15:35 am »
I'm not really too surprised by that, because the decor of this particular room is at least informed or 'inspired by' period photographs of contemporary interior design.  The sitting room and the hallway, on the other hand, are more based on my own ideas (the sitting room) or a few photos of modern recreations (hallway). 

So long as the whole all hangs together though I'm taking a fairly laissez-faire approach to my influences and inspirations.  I'd hesitate before pigeon-holing the project as 'conservation', 'restoration' or mere 'refurbishment', as there are elements of all three (and a lot more besides) going on as I deem appropriate.  Perhaps the closest description I've yet come up with is that it's a modern take on Viollet-le-Duc's philosophy of 'restoration to a state of completion that may never have originally existed'- I'm under no illusion that if I treated this as a true restoration project the bathroom would become a third bedroom and be replaced by a tin bath in front of a fireplace, for instance. 

I think I'll stop myself there, as this is another instance where sadly we simply don't have time for my three-hour lecture on building conservation philosophy and it's practical application to working buildings as opposed to museums. 

So it's not just me then! Spouse and I have many discussions on the 'restoration' of bathrooms - keeping everything looking (as they imagine) like it was in some era or other and failing completely by making them so uncomfortable they would be horrible to use...

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #1281 on: June 06, 2022, 04:19:45 am »
… it's a modern take on Viollet-le-Duc's philosophy of 'restoration to a state of completion that may never have originally existed'…

Isn't that the essence of Steampunk? — "Recreating a future that never existed."

James Harrison

• Immortal
« Reply #1282 on: June 09, 2022, 06:37:45 pm »
So by that measure then the house is a Steampunk project, with nary a gear in sight.

Things are going to go quiet a little while as I've other demands on my time for a few weeks, bt when I get going again I'll be finishing off the painting and doing something with the floor.

James Harrison

• Immortal
« Reply #1283 on: June 21, 2022, 04:22:50 pm »
Exams over, back to the house.  Right, priorities. 
1) Finish the stencilling. 
2) Get the garage wiring sorted out (guess who managed to throw the wrong switch over the weekend....)
3) Order the new radiator.
4) Sort out the flooring.

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Poking the i's and drinking the t's
« Reply #1284 on: June 21, 2022, 06:14:23 pm »
There's a quick and easy way of making bespoke parquet patterns on a real wood board that you can lay as (or more) easily as laminate, if you're interested...
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

James Harrison

• Immortal
« Reply #1285 on: June 21, 2022, 09:13:39 pm »
There's a quick and easy way of making bespoke parquet patterns on a real wood board that you can lay as (or more) easily as laminate, if you're interested...

Oh? Do tell please!

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #1286 on: June 22, 2022, 06:45:24 am »
Fake parquet

First, measure your floor and work out how many 8’x4’ boards would be needed to cover the floor. The plan is to buy sheets of pale plywood (birch or poplar usually), without too many 'plugs' or repairs (Be fussy). Some builders’ merchants sell pale as standard, but many only sell dark, hardwood-faced boards - you need to look around. Also, prices of ply at the moment are changing rapidly due to supply problems, so even more reason to shop around. You can use any thickness of ply, from 3mm upwards, just be aware that if you use 3mm, it would probably be a good idea to lay a cheaper board underneath it for strength. It's probably still very cheap compared to most floor coverings.

Next draw up a pattern that you like to fit the floor. The real parquet I was copying was made of 2.5in. by 5in. blocks, which I think was standard. It doesn’t have to be parquet, it’s just that that fits the aesthetic well and straight lines are easiest to scale up and cut).
The internet has a wealth of samples of parquet designs, but you could also look up inlay patterns or marquetry designs. It is a rather enjoyable rabbit hole, I found.

So once you have your design, scale it up. You can do it from measurements, printing out a jigsaw of rectangular sections or however you think best. Mark up the board in pencil then, using a Stanley knife or similar (with a sharp blade - and change the blade often, this blunts them quite fast), cut along the lines. You only need to cut through the top layer of ply and into the glue between it and the next in the board. But you need to do this for every line and for there to be no gaps, even at the corners.
For further authenticity, you can go over the lines with something slightly thicker like a pen knife or a sharp-edged trowel, to thicken the grooves and make the pieces look more separate.

When that’s all done and your arm and shoulder have healed, dye the different pieces in a set of slightly different coloured stains. Five or so should give a good random effect.
 When all the stains are done and dried, it’s time for varnish or floor wax. It is important to use a different medium for the stains and the varnish/wax or the pieces will bleed into each other. In other words, if you want to wax it or use yacht or other solvent-based varnish then use water-based stains. Conversely, if you want to use polyurethane varnish (water-based) then use solvent-based stains.

I hope that made sense. Any questions, ask away.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 06:48:38 am by Sir Henry »

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #1287 on: June 22, 2022, 07:07:17 am »

It sorta makes sense. So what you end up with is simulating the contrasting wood tones without the contrasting wood grains?

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #1288 on: June 22, 2022, 08:59:55 am »

It sorta makes sense. So what you end up with is simulating the contrasting wood tones without the contrasting wood grains?
Yes, but the stronger the contrast between the pieces, the less obvious it is that it's all one piece of wood.

99% of the time people don't look that closely at the floor, just seeing the pretty pattern. When I put the first one I made down in a rental property, a building inspector friend told me I was an idiot as it would take a lot of money and time to restore the floor when we left. When I picked it up and walked out of the room with it he was 'a bit upset'.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 09:03:18 am by Sir Henry »

James Harrison

• Immortal
« Reply #1289 on: June 22, 2022, 05:19:26 pm »
I like the idea, I'll bare it in mind when I get around to the summer house I have in mind for the garden...

James Harrison

• Immortal
« Reply #1290 on: June 24, 2022, 07:12:32 pm »
Stencilling is now- finally- finished.  It's funny how the closer a long tedious bit of work gets to the end, the more laborious the thing seems to get. 

Now I imagine installation of the new window isn't a million years away, and as my vague idea is to book a week off work just so soon as I have an installation date, I guess I need to start looking at ordering the new radiator, so I can get two jobs done in one holiday.

Madasasteamfish

• A clanger waiting to be dropped......
  • Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #1291 on: June 24, 2022, 07:22:59 pm »
Very nice. Not quite to my own taste but very attractive nonetheless
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."