The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 19, 2020, 09:58:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pater Noster Lift  (Read 448 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: January 23, 2020, 06:28:53 pm »

A Nice Concept:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paternoster

https://youtu.be/KoCQ6tq5wJE

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 09:30:30 pm »

There used to be one of those at the library of the Birmingham University. Occasionally the established students would play a trick on the new first years by riding up to the top and whilst hidden from view quickly switching to a handstand for the jouney back down...

Yours,
Miranda.
Anselmofanzero
Gunner
Germany Germany

Custom Builds on Request

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 10:39:43 pm »

You never saw one before?
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 02:25:51 am »

You never saw one before?

This may explain why (wiki)

he construction of new paternosters was stopped in the mid-1970s due to safety concerns, but public sentiment has kept many of the remaining examples open.[3] By far most remaining paternosters are in Europe, with 230 examples in Germany, and 68 in the Czech Republic. Only three have been identified outside Europe: one in Malaysia, one in Sri Lanka, and another in Peru.

So if you're younger than say about 50 years of age and don't live in Europe, Peru Sri Lanka or Malaysia,  chances are you've never seen one.

Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 02:30:27 am »

One of the smaller varieties (with rungs instead of compartments, and called a manlift belt as well as a paternoster) is still in use in at least one building here in San Antonio, Texas.

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Astalo
Zeppelin Captain
Finland Finland

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 07:45:59 pm »

Parliament House of Finland have some paternoster lifts. Quite rare system in nowadays at least in this country.
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 10:02:17 pm »

There's still one in the Arts Tower at the University of Sheffield, people used to do exactly the same thing. That one is 21 floors, it takes an absolute age to ride it the entire way, though if you ride it over the top there is some pretty cool looking machinery.
There used to be one of those at the library of the Birmingham University. Occasionally the established students would play a trick on the new first years by riding up to the top and whilst hidden from view quickly switching to a handstand for the jouney back down...

Yours,
Miranda.

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 02:49:37 pm »

Although there are two remaining in use in the U.K. I've never seen them and the only one I ever saw was in Vienna.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 12:55:08 am »

Ah, the curse of living in a flat country...
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 07:56:05 am »

Ah, the curse of living in a flat country...

You can always dig holes  Wink  Grin
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 09:14:10 am »

Greetings My Dear Netizens

I have only seen these lifts on the telly box, and frankly, they scare the living crap out of me.
I have been around too much "unguarded" industrisal machinery as a sprout, and I really like all my
hands, fingers, toes, and other bits staying attached.

yhs
prof amrvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 02:23:08 am »

I must say, I can't recall any of them ever being in Australia. I am sure there must have been one, but most of the large buildings in the major cities are quickly modernised and have so many occupants that these would be too slow. There may have been a small one for moving packages between floors in some of the buildings. Not sure.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: