The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 28, 2020, 11:09:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: How bold do I go with the front entrance?
Go with the retro flow - 2 (22.2%)
Get a little creative - 1 (11.1%)
Use a touch of imagination - 1 (11.1%)
Give full artistic licence - 5 (55.6%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Has Inhabited another Home with a History  (Read 5042 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2020, 05:10:19 am »

Mr Wilhelm. There is a massive housing shortage in New Zealand right now. Resourse and other consents are a major obstacle to building. It creates delays and prohibitive costs. Subdivision homes are pressed out of a mould and put together with staple guns by cabinet makers and labourers. " Brick" homes  popular in the urban tracts, are no more than thin cladding hanging off a timber frame. Most weather board is modular plastic or thin stucco . Government homes are of an even lower standard.   New builds are a disgrace. I used to watch wooden houses being built by real carpenters , as a small child.  There is none of the old craftsmanship . No pride in their work
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2020, 05:12:51 am »

Ms Annie, Naiper looks bloody great, what with the cars & buildings to boot!

Lets hope that developers/architects will never be allowed to get their filthy mitts on the area.

That is the fancy stuff for the tourists. Those homes will be mostly heritage listed and fairly safe from the wrecking ball. The out skirts of town will no doubt soon be built up with   homes made out of ticky tacky .

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2020, 08:18:50 am »

Aren't there towns in NZ (North Island I think) that were wiped out by earthquakes/volcanos around the time of Art Deco, so it was the style that was popular when they rebuilt?

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2020, 03:37:55 am »

Aren't there towns in NZ (North Island I think) that were wiped out by earthquakes/volcanos around the time of Art Deco, so it was the style that was popular when they rebuilt?

Sorontar

Yes Sorontar . No major volcanic action for several hundred years , only a handful of minor localised eruptions.  We do have massive volcanic fields that have created most of the North Island  a few millennia ago. It joined the dots , NZ used to be many small  islands. Auckland alone has approx 55 volcanic hills . Suburbs are all MT this MT. The Taranaki here has one big volcano.

NZ is  A.K.A.  " the Shakey Isles " . We have earthquakes everyday somewhere . Some parts it's daily. There are massive and small faul tines  running up the country.  Occasionally we have high magnitude ones . The Christchurch quakes of a few years ago
{2016 ?} did much damage . Particularly the 7.1 quake. The city is bring rebuilt in bland 2020  construction.

The  notorious "Napier quake "  though precipitated the famous Deco rebuild the East coast has a reputation for.  Civic buildings, houses , industrial premises . I've never been, my late dad loved the place on his frequent business trips there .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1931_Hawke's_Bay_earthquake

https://www.napier.govt.nz/napier/about/history/napier-earthquake-1931/

https://teara.govt.nz/en/historic-earthquakes/page-8

https://theculturetrip.com/pacific/new-zealand/articles/architecture-art-deco-and-earthquakes-in-napier/

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2020, 08:39:27 am »

By any chance were any of Phryne Fisher's mysteries filmed on location?  Grin. I haven't seen much of the series, but you have to find Art Déco locations...

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2020, 07:55:24 am »

Most of the Miss Fisher's series were filmed here in Melbourne. That is where Kerry Greenwood, the original author and creator of the character, lives and she played a limited role in the series (she and her long-term partner David "Daffyd" Greagg can be seen in the movie at a table in the ball/party).

Sorontar
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: