The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 07, 2020, 09:24:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: How bold do I go with the front entrance?
Go with the retro flow - 2 (22.2%)
Get a little creative - 1 (11.1%)
Use a touch of imagination - 1 (11.1%)
Give full artistic licence - 5 (55.6%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Has Inhabited another Home with a History  (Read 2363 times)
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2020, 04:48:13 am »

I would love an Art Deco home - my favourite design period, although I do have a soft spot for the Pre-Raphaelite genre.

Very little can be done with a 1968 weatherboard bungalow, although if I could afford it I would have it clad in (fake, but good fake) stone   with slate-impressed pressed steel Colourbond roofing - my own little stone cottage in the country!! The inside would have to be redecorated, and the carpet would most definitely have to go!!

Ditto, Banfili. Our Perth house had been a complete Art Deco and we enjoyed bringing it back from the atrocities of previous owners. We now live in a 1980s house... the era where architraves and cornices and skirting boards were small, mean and painted mission brown. There were pink tiles on the kitchen floor - the whole catastrophe. A 1968 weatherboard sounds wonderful!

The previous owner ripped out a perfectly good, almost brand new 1968 kitchen to put in a mission-ish brown laminex monstrosity! Used upholstery tacks to fasten down the edges of the two pieces of remnant Lino they covered the floor with, AND used the wallpaper from Mrs Brown's utility room in Finglas, Dublin, on every wall, top to bottom!! I managed to peel most of the top layer of the wallpaper off most of the walls, but wasn't climbing up on the cupboards to peel off the rest!

You win!  Grin

Didn't think it was a competition!! Grin Grin

However, there are compensations. The rooms are reasonably large, and the ceilings relatively high for a 'modern' house. The Kitchen and living room came equipped with ceiling fans, although the controllers were installed back to front. If you want them on in the summer, you have to put them on winter settings!! Living room has an air conditioner - essential in this climate.

The land it's built on is a double block - .13 of a hectare, and, prime requirement for me, it is relatively flat. It came with a dodgy lean-to down the back yard attached to an equally dodgy mesh-sided 'shed' for want of a better word, with a sloping concrete floor. The front is a later addition, & I think it was the original carport before they built a decent shed with attached carport, and another carport attached to the side of the house. It had a paved patio area, with steps up to the back door, now covered by a large deck, with ramp up the side.

Once I had the deck built and the ramp installed I realised that I could not use the carport for the car - the ramp took up the legislated space, which meant that if I parked the car right in, I couldn't open the door to get out! Stage 5 of the renovations was to extend the carport to the front of the house & shift the gates, and put a side window in the front bedroom, which I use as an office, & the car now has protection!!
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2020, 03:44:30 pm »

Is it made of Bakelite?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2020, 06:35:42 pm »

Mr Wells, I believe it is original bakerlite from the 40s . There is a mix of fittings from various era  throughout the house . A couple of sockets are blended. The small kitchen has  at least  6 socket/ switch sets, most of them double.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2020, 06:42:50 pm »

My dog is a stickybeak - also a curtain twitcher - has to know what is going on outside like some old nosey parker...

Nosey Parker -  haven't heard that in years . By Crikey. I'm glad I came in for a look see
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2020, 08:45:25 am »

I found an article on Architectural Digest about how to convert an interior to Art Déco. Unfortunately all the pictures shown were of interiors on white and black... I'm sure there were more colors in the Jazz Era...

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2020, 09:37:33 am »

I found an article on Architectural Digest about how to convert an interior to Art Déco. Unfortunately all the pictures shown were of interiors on white and black... I'm sure there were more colors in the Jazz Era...

Jade green and onyx were both popular.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2020, 09:23:21 pm »

Jade green and onyx were both popular.

My grandfather used to own a couple of apartment buildings in Mexico City, at Nápoles Borough, these were Art Déco buildings from the late 30s, and I remember a lot of granite with brass inserts between the tiles and details mixed in the rails of the staircase. Curved walls everywhere and glass blocks
Deimos
Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2020, 02:43:08 am »

And now we have......this...
https://fineartamerica.com/featured/state-farm-at-tempe-town-lake-dave-dilli.html
*sigh*
The uglification continues....makes me want to vomit.
(Near AZ State Univ.--aka ASU-- about 8km from my house if anyone is curious of location)  

So Annie, do whatever you can to combat the lack of imagination in current architecture by going radically individual in your renovation. Quite.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 05:27:39 am by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"Only the paranoid survive."
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2020, 04:58:39 am »

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/state-farm-at-tempe-town-lake-dave-dilli.html
*sigh*
(Near Az State Univ. about 8km from my house if anyone is curious of location) 

So Annie, do whatever you can to combat the lack of imagination in current architecture by going radically individual in your renovation. Quite.

Should have come with a warning, Deimos... I LOOKED at it, and now can't un-see it, my eyes are ruined! (back of hand to the brow in dramatic fashion).
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2020, 05:15:59 am »

*sigh*
(Near Az State Univ. about 8km from my house if anyone is curious of location) 

Should have come with a warning, Deimos... I LOOKED at it, and now can't un-see it, my eyes are ruined! (back of hand to the brow in dramatic fashion).

Ye gods! That is horrible!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2020, 06:38:12 am »

*sigh*
(Near AZ State Univ.--aka ASU-- about 8km from my house if anyone is curious of location)  

I took a meander down the river bank today . I was pleased to note that most character homes were intact and undergoing regentrification rather than demolition. Not that is a big river  or grand waterfront . A few streets of Victorian, Edwardian workers cottages and bungalow and 40s residences with the occasional 70s  homes.

No doubt the shacks and old beach houses round on the coastal  frontage will be eventually torn down and replaced  by tasteless  2 story  tragedies
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2020, 06:44:35 am »

Unfortunately there is a trend towards really impersonal and ugly glass buildings as of late. Now, let me be clear: I'm not anathema towards contemporary construction. But there is a difference between creative construction and Borg Collective cubes. I have seen international architecture firms place ugly glass buildings in lieu of shopping centers in downtown Mexico City and Singapore. I have to say I'm impressed with the ability of architects to make cookie cutter glass towers. Often times, they don't even bother to polarize them to block the view of office cubicles and the like. At least the tower you show is all "chrome."

Let me show you. A video from less than a decade old buildings in downtown CDMX to give you an idea of what I'm talking about; this is Polanco neighborhood, founded in the late 1890s, and an area that became famous in the 1930s becauseof the  celebrities who lived there, basically the equivalent of RodeoDDrive, in Beverly Hills in the US. Because of the time-frame when the borough became a swanky location, a number of Art Déco and Neo Baroque buildings sprouted during the Jazz Era, and that is what the neighborhood is most famous for (plus the elegant ultra expensive shops)

What I'm showing you in the first video is an area that was built around Soumaya Museum, dedicated to the wife of Lebanese-Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim - that used to be his *personal *art collection  Roll Eyes In that area you'll find, if course, the headquarters of Nestlé in Mexico and one of the Apple Stores. It's the latest construction (2010s) in the area. Modern it is. But pretty is not. Downright ugly, I'd say and it sticks out like a sore thumb from the rest of the neighborhood (second video)

Area around Soumaya Museum, Polanco, Mexico City built in the 2010s - by international architect firms
4K WALK Arte y Urbanismo en MEXICO CITY CDMX travel 4k video

Older (1990s-2000s) shopping complexes in the same area - Iron Palace Department Store - like saying Macy's in the US.
The architects of the triangular building and shopping centre are Mexican
【4K】WALK POLANCO at night MEXICO CITY CDMX slow tv TRAVEL VLOG

Can you spot the difference? It's subtle but in spite of being contemporary in style, they look very different. You can spot the Mexican architects' buildings a mile away.

To put things into perspective, look at the older areas. The old part of Polanco looks a lot more like the video below of Condesa Borough, which is right next door (Roma, Condesa and Nápoles are right next to one another and they were late 19th foreigner enclaves originally. Some of the older 19th century architecture is still there mixed in with the 29th century Art Déco and Neo Baroque) .

4K WALK Mexico City La Condesa CDMX slow tv Mx TRAVEL VLOG

Deimos
Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2020, 09:07:25 am »

"I took a meander down the river bank today . I was pleased to note that most character homes were intact and undergoing regentrification rather than demolition. Not that is a big river  or grand waterfront . A few streets of Victorian, Edwardian workers cottages and bungalow and 40s residences with the occasional 70s  homes.
 No doubt the shacks and old beach houses round on the coastal  frontage will be eventually torn down and replaced  by tasteless  2 story  tragedies "

"Abominations" ...the word you are looking for is "abominations". :-p
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2020, 02:28:43 pm »

Some of the older 19th century architecture is still there mixed in with the 29th century Art Déco and Neo Baroque .

29th Century?  Shocked

So what is life like in the 2800s?  Smiley
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2020, 11:11:41 pm »

Some of the older 19th century architecture is still there mixed in with the 29th century Art Déco and Neo Baroque .

29th Century?  Shocked

Aaah! That timey wimey thing strikes again! Well, no matter, I meant 20th century. It's the fault of the auto-spell in my iPhone 345, quantum dark matter edition.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2020, 09:44:57 am »

29th Century?  Shocked

Aaah! That timey wimey thing strikes again! Well, no matter, I meant 20th century. It's the fault of the auto-spell in my iPhone 345, quantum dark matter edition.

Your jig is up  J Wilhelm !  Our sneaking suspicions are  confirmed. You are obviously an anthropologic nvestgaotor  from a nother time continuum many light years ahead . Here to research the human race by immersion in our cyberscape .

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: