The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 27, 2020, 05:30:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: How bold do I go with the front entrance?
Go with the retro flow - 2 (22.2%)
Get a little creative - 1 (11.1%)
Use a touch of imagination - 1 (11.1%)
Give full artistic licence - 5 (55.6%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Has Inhabited another Home with a History  (Read 1326 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: January 19, 2020, 10:58:47 am »

I recently relocated to a new residence. I had a sirens call to be nearer the sea.The suburbs were stifling me. I've moved to the midst of the misfits, misunderstood, maladjusted, and malfeasant. It's a picturesque place and a former portside town that runs either side of a river bank.

What was a post WW 2 cottage grew to a 70s des res with a sunken lounge and games room. It hasn't been renovated since. It has retrospectively retained a number of it's original features from both eras. The old girl is ready for a revamp. Relandscaping is in progress , in step with it's 60s subtropical style. The arresting policeman's pants blue on the perimeter is being painted over. In the spirit of regentrification, the front entrance needs to make a statement. A series of colour schemes are under contemplation.

All suggestions will be considered [then roundly rejected by fellow forum posters , in keeping with customary manner] .

Modified to add: BG is rejecting the images. For brief description. The current porch andvdoir resemble a TARDIS  somewhat. Small post war board and batten entrance porch. Dark Cobalt blue steps and door surround with glass panels. White house .  

edit: picture heavy montages of home features in their faded grandeur can be found on page 2

« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 02:37:01 am by Hurricane Annie » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 12:02:16 pm »

I too feel the siren call to the sea, but not here! I would love to live in a place not given to being burnt to a crisp in the summertime - I'm thinking the west coast of Ireland - Connemara in West Galway, or West Clare - a relocation for which I require copious amounts of dosh, none of which is forthcoming to date - but I continue to plan!
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 01:10:50 pm »

A series of colour schemes are under contemplation.

All suggestions will be considered [then roundly rejected by fellow forum posters , in keeping with customary manner] .

Well in that case why not go for sky-blue pink with purple dots  Wink

Sounds like a marvellously mellifluous transmogrification is underway.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 01:27:27 pm »

I think you should let your artistic side have full sway!

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 07:03:13 pm »

A series of colour schemes are under contemplation.

Well in that case why not go for sky-blue pink with purple dots  Wink

Sounds like a marvellously mellifluous transmogrification is underway.

Thank for your suggestions . I have considered  amoungst other schemes 2 tone purple and  a  lilac / yellow combo . You have me  visualising a chequered pattern on the steps  or porch concrete. BG won't let me post an image  , there is though a large  inverted square in the centre of the small  porch floor. 
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 07:05:15 pm »

Be very careful about daring me to commit acts of a socially contraversial nature. It usually ends in someone's outrage
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 07:10:39 pm »

I too feel the siren call to the sea, but not here! I would love to live in a place not given to being burnt to a crisp in the summertime - I'm thinking the west coast of Ireland - Connemara in West Galway, or West Clare - a relocation for which I require copious amounts of dosh, none of which is forthcoming to date - but I continue to plan!

Our summer was stolen this year. A move south might give you are more mellow climate ,  though would Canberra or  Tasmania  really be a  a forward move? The moody  west Irish coast with crashing surf and rolling thunder does have appeal .  A castle on a cliff perhaps
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 09:03:08 pm »

Dear Hurricane,
You new abode sounds wonderful - so much potential! The sunken lounge must add so much to the living space; the eye always finds differing levels so much more interesting than everything being on one level. I do hope you can batter the forum into displaying the pictures as it would be lovely to see all these features.

Yours,
Miranda.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 10:32:35 pm »

Dear Hurricane,
You new abode sounds wonderful - so much potential! The sunken lounge must add so much to the living space; the eye always finds differing levels so much more interesting than everything being on one level. I do hope you can batter the forum into displaying the pictures as it would be lovely to see all these features.

Yours,
Miranda.

Thank you for the encouragement Miss Miranda . On the revamp and the battle to share photos. I may have to bang away on another device
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 10:55:09 pm »

My Dear Annie

i would love to see it!

do you get any errors or whathaveyou from brassgoggles? perhaps we can help.

just my thoughts, generally, I expect that any photos I post anywhere on the web will either
be stolen, used in way that I don't like, or dissappear (in god we trust, all others pay cash) .
By having , shall we say "low expectations"  (ie hope for the best , plan for the worst)
I am rewarded with "no unpleasant surprises.

I don't mind posting vacation photos or photos of rooms, houses, gardens, outfits, accouterments,  projects, etc.  

OTOH And I like what little privacy I have left. so, I just don't post anything I would consider "personal"  if you know what I mean.

Rant Warning
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, having blithered on about that,  you might check out here

imgbb.com
and
https://makeawebsitehub.com/free-photo-hosting/

until we can get goggles (not googles) working for you.

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 03:37:20 pm »

Be very careful about daring me to commit acts of a socially contraversial nature. It usually ends in someone's outrage

Excellent.  There's nothing wrong with a bit of outrageousness. (Or even a lot of it ....)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 08:15:53 am »

My Dear Annie

i would love to see it!

do you get any errors or whathaveyou from brassgoggles? perhaps we can help.

just my thoughts, generally, I expect that any photos I post anywhere on the web will either
be stolen, used in way that I don't like, or dissappear (in god we trust, all others pay cash) .
By having , shall we say "low expectations"  (ie hope for the best , plan for the worst)
I am rewarded with "no unpleasant surprises.

I don't mind posting vacation photos or photos of rooms, houses, gardens, outfits, accouterments,  projects, etc.  

OTOH And I like what little privacy I have left. so, I just don't post anything I would consider "personal"  if you know what I mean.

Rant Warning
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, having blithered on about that,  you might check out here

imgbb.com
and
https://makeawebsitehub.com/free-photo-hosting/

until we can get goggles (not googles) working for you.

yhs
prof marvel

Dear Prof. I am with you on the Google Street scenes. I travel via Google Earth on a regular basis . While I haven't seen anyone I recognise, I have seen enough to recognise an individual or vehicle if I  had seen them before. This open viewing  could  compromise personal safety .

I did try to copy images from my Pinterest account, as I have done so on Brass Goggles in the past . They are not showing up in the preview or post .  I shall investigate further . Perversely I do know the front of my property is openly  on Google Earth
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 08:17:23 am »

Excellent.  There's nothing wrong with a bit of outrageousness. (Or even a lot of it ....)

My Good Cora , I shall take that as a challenge

Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 08:41:26 am »

There is a certain blue and a certain green seen in occasional white painted Greek villages that just SMACKS you with seaside joy... The stark white in the brilliant sun is the perfect back-drop to a splash of outrageous colour - almost fluro in intent.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 08:51:37 am »

Because as Prof. Marvel  has pointed out, there is no privacy afforded  by Google, I loaded my neighbour's address in the search bar to find and image of my home. My residence has several addresses attached to the title, which has totally confused all the property information websites. They have pictures of my place on all my neighbour's addresses- while not listing my property at all . Alas there is none from inside of the  ecclectic vintage interior decor  

I've done away with all the  blasted electric blue.Torn down the arch. Ripped off all signs of vicious dogs and paranoid people. The  grounds have been re landscaped some what .

This is  the premises where I am currently stationed.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2020, 08:56:31 am »

There is a certain blue and a certain green seen in occasional white painted Greek villages that just SMACKS you with seaside joy... The stark white in the brilliant sun is the perfect back-drop to a splash of outrageous colour - almost fluro in intent.

The beautiful Mediterranean panorama .   With it's wonderful  simplicity and  vibrant  Technicolor .

Unfortunately I'm in regional New Zealand and paint  colours  just smack you in the face  with blinding bland bad taste
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2020, 12:50:32 pm »

The beautiful Mediterranean panorama .   With it's wonderful  simplicity and  vibrant  Technicolor .

Unfortunately I'm in regional New Zealand and paint  colours  just smack you in the face  with blinding bland bad taste

Not all that dissimilar in style from my very regional abode in the mountains. Mine is also white, but worn, and has a tin roof, and my big extension from the seventies is out the back. I recently (2013) had the verandah built in, and now have a lovely sunroom to sit in on summer mornings and winter afternoons! The house was built in 1968.
It is also on Google earth - sigh!
Deimos
Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2020, 06:10:08 pm »

Very nice abode...

So.....1) what is the roof material? (looks like metal)

2) Exterior siding material? Don't know if you all call it "siding".

In the US house exteriors can be brick, [concrete] block (like mine), stucco (which I hate... houses that are stuccoed  typically have clay tile roofs--the whole thing being a [faux]  "southwestern" look--I call them "yuck-o houses with vile roofs"...but I digress), or they can be clapboard exteriors, or [treated] wood or vinyl siding. I've even seen some pseudo log cabin exteriors.

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2020, 09:02:06 pm »

Not all that dissimilar in style from my very regional abode in the mountains. Mine is also white, but worn, and has a tin roof, and my big extension from the seventies is out the back. I recently (2013) had the verandah built in, and now have a lovely sunroom to sit in on summer mornings and winter afternoons! The house was built in 1968.
It is also on Google earth - sigh!

You've stolen my house ! NZ architecture is generally a milder version of Australian  construction. It's the conservative missionary influence and a less diverse European population. Also we don't have to snake proof our homes or allow for a cooling air flow. 

I suspect my front room was once an add on carport or garage. It has a concrete floor and steps up to the lounge. The front entrance may once  have been a larger porch, the  same ceiling is in the adjacent bedroom wardrobes . I do wish there had been more ithe 40s features retained on the outside.  There is no longer a view of the mountain  and it's too far back from the water to  see the sea .It is an interesting home though and I feel a comfort here.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2020, 09:36:01 pm »

Very nice abode...

So.....1) what is the roof material? (looks like metal)

2) Exterior siding material? Don't know if you all call it "siding".

In the US house exteriors can be brick, [concrete] block (like mine), stucco (which I hate... houses that are stuccoed  typically have clay tile roofs--the whole thing being a [faux]  "southwestern" look--I call them "yuck-o houses with vile roofs"...but I digress), or they can be clapboard exteriors, or [treated] wood or vinyl siding. I've even seen some pseudo log cabin exteriors.

The roof is painted steel [ formerly refered to as tin  then aluminium roofs].

The house cladding is wooden  weatherboard . A bit worn and in need of a paint . Windows are aluminum  and would have originaly been wood

Standard cladding [ siding] in New Zealand is wooden [very common in older homes].
fibrolight [with or without stucco] panels from the 30s and 40s  often on prefab houses post WW2,  fibro weather boards  from the 50s on . Brick has always been popular  , concrete use for homes not so common. Stone homes are a bit more unusual , though make their mark.  Modern homes may include all the above including steel cladding .

A few towns in NZ have distinctive architecture. They have  old stone buildings in the  far far reaches of the South island ,  great edifaces  with real presence . Oamaru with the world steampunk HQ, Otago, Dunedin, Invercargill .

After a major earthquake in 1931, our East Coast region  was rebuilt in the Art Deco style, including the infamous Spanish Mission style you describe .  Napier, Hastings, Hawke Bay , Gisborne.

The building styles in a NZ town  tell the tales of it's boom times. The houses will reflect the era when there was business and money flowing .

Im pleased to see this morning, after much late night noise, that an empty section around the corner has had a charming  1920s cottage relocated on to it. It will be in keeping with other homes in the neighbourhood.

FYI it has wood weatherboards , old tin roof and a small verandah that could be closed in for a pleasant sun room

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2020, 01:01:47 am »

Your footpath is much neater (and greener!) than mine! Mine is an easement back from the highway this little hamlet enjoys running through the middle of it, about 30 metres wide (the easement, that is!), with the added beauty of an 18 car carpark hanging off one end (curtesy of the Shire council and the bowls club next door! But 'I' do have a stonking great London Plane tree that gives beautiful shade, and shelter, sitting right in the middle of the easement, in front of my house. My house is weatherboard, in need of a paint (but who can afford that!) with a corrugated tin roof.

Your 'section' is my 'block' (which is a double!). I have neighbours to my right, the bowls club to my left, to the left of that there is a creek, and out the back cow paddocks running 800 metres or so to the river! I can't be built-up in front of, to the left or to the rear, as the paddocks are also flood plains and not to be built upon, even though the Dartmouth Dam up river has stopped the flooding!
Birds chirping is about all I can hear out there this morning!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 01:03:28 am by Banfili » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2020, 03:59:50 am »

Your footpath is much neater (and greener!) than mine! Mine is an easement back from the highway this little hamlet enjoys running through the middle of it, about 30 metres wide (the easement, that is!), with the added beauty of an 18 car carpark hanging off one end (curtesy of the Shire council and the bowls club next door! But 'I' do have a stonking great London Plane tree that gives beautiful shade, and shelter, sitting right in the middle of the easement, in front of my house. My house is weatherboard, in need of a paint (but who can afford that!) with a corrugated tin roof.

Your 'section' is my 'block' (which is a double!). I have neighbours to my right, the bowls club to my left, to the left of that there is a creek, and out the back cow paddocks running 800 metres or so to the river! I can't be built-up in front of, to the left or to the rear, as the paddocks are also flood plains and not to be built upon, even though the Dartmouth Dam up river has stopped the flooding!

After the morning rush is it quiet with  a bowling Green and empty car park  next door ? Or is it full of rowdy boozy bowling enthusiasts ? I have  a park nearby and bowling green on the other side , with squash courts , both aging  and from the affluent era of the town . A river  meanders   500 metres away  outbm to sea. There's paddocks with  cows and horses not too far away. My house needs a good sand and paint , which my lungs are too beggared to do .

We have a District Council for the greater city population 80K , which is really more of a shire or borough, I've lived in bigger suburbs.  My town or suburb on the out skirts  is approx 6K .

We haven't had a gang shooting since I've been here , or a police raid in the street . The neighbours have suggested it's due to my presence. It may have more to do with the previous occupants absence,  rather  than any  peaceful quietening influence  on my part. There is a heavy police presence on regular patrol. I still  get the wayward customers of the previous business tapping furtively on the door on occasion.  But then , all that just makes me feel at home as history repeats  . ..
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2020, 07:10:34 am »

After the morning rush is it quiet with  a bowling Green and empty car park  next door ? Or is it full of rowdy boozy bowling enthusiasts ? I have  a park nearby and bowling green on the other side , with squash courts , both aging  and from the affluent era of the town . A river  meanders   500 metres away  outbm to sea. There's paddocks with  cows and horses not too far away. My house needs a good sand and paint , which my lungs are too beggared to do .

We have a District Council for the greater city population 80K , which is really more of a shire or borough, I've lived in bigger suburbs.  My town or suburb on the out skirts  is approx 6K .

We haven't had a gang shooting since I've been here , or a police raid in the street . The neighbours have suggested it's due to my presence. It may have more to do with the previous occupants absence,  rather  than any  peaceful quietening influence  on my part. There is a heavy police presence on regular patrol. I still  get the wayward customers of the previous business tapping furtively on the door on occasion.  But then , all that just makes me feel at home as history repeats  . ..

Excitement plus at your house!
This is a very small hamlet between a small town and another, smaller town, so for the most part very, very quiet! The bowlers meet on Tuesday mornings and Sunday afternoons in spring and summer, and the only problem has been 'teaching' them that now they have a carpark of their own they should use it, instead of parking under my tree! There are fewer than 20 full members, only one of whom lives permanently in the valley now - most of them have relocated to retirement villages in Wodonga, which is the nearest city, 60-odd kms away, or live down the valley in the small town at the southern end of the valley! Competition or tournament days bring bowlers from other places, but usually they car pool, so the car park itself may have an odd empty space.

There isn't a rush hour, really, just the folks driving down from further up the valley in their daily commute and back again & the school bus. The odd truck - cattle or goods, the occasional tractor, or resident driving in to pick up mail and food from the IGA, or stuff for the dairy and cattle farms around the place. No mail delivery in town - it's a 200 metre walk here and back to get my mail, milk & Friday newspaper (it has the telly programmes in it on Fridays now!).

It's busier on weekends, public and school holidays, as its a big recreational area round here, with boating, fishing, hunting, bushwalking and just wandering around having a stickybeak!

Quieter this summer because of the fires, of course. There is another one about 6-7 kms away down the valley today, caused by a lightning strike - 6 vehicles attending, and a strong, hot nor-easter just to make life interesting!!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 07:13:15 am by Banfili » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2020, 07:15:50 am »

After the morning rush is it quiet with  a bowling Green and empty car park  next door ? Or is it full of rowdy boozy bowling enthusiasts ? I have  a park nearby and bowling green on the other side , with squash courts , both aging  and from the affluent era of the town . A river  meanders   500 metres away  outbm to sea. There's paddocks with  cows and horses not too far away. My house needs a good sand and paint , which my lungs are too beggared to do .

We have a District Council for the greater city population 80K , which is really more of a shire or borough, I've lived in bigger suburbs.  My town or suburb on the out skirts  is approx 6K .

We haven't had a gang shooting since I've been here , or a police raid in the street . The neighbours have suggested it's due to my presence. It may have more to do with the previous occupants absence,  rather  than any  peaceful quietening influence  on my part. There is a heavy police presence on regular patrol. I still  get the wayward customers of the previous business tapping furtively on the door on occasion.  But then , all that just makes me feel at home as history repeats  . ..

Excitement plus at your house!
This is a very small hamlet between a small town and another, smaller town, so for the most part very, very quiet! The bowlers meet on Tuesday mornings and Sunday afternoons in spring and summer, and the only problem has been 'teaching' them that now they have a carpark of their own they should use it, instead of parking under my tree! There are fewer than 20 full members, only one of whom lives permanently in the valley now - most of them have relocated to retirement villages in Wodonga, which is the nearest city, 60-odd kms away, or live down the valley in the small town at the southern end of the valley! Competition or tournament days bring bowlers from other places, but usually they car pool, so the car park itself may have an odd empty space.

There isn't a rush hour, really, just the folks driving down from further up the valley in their daily commute and back again & the school bus. The odd truck - cattle or goods, the occasional tractor, or resident driving in to pick up mail and food from the IGA, or stuff for the dairy and cattle farms around the place. No mail delivery in town - it's a 200 metre walk here and back to get my mail, milk & Friday newspaper (it has the telly programmes in it on Fridays now!).

It's busier on weekends, public and school holidays, as its a big recreational area round here, with boating, fishing, hunting, bushwalking and just wandering around having a stickybeak!

Quieter this summer because of the fires, of course. There is another fire about 6-7 kms away down the valley today, caused by a lightning strike - 6 vehicles attending, and a strong, hot, nor-easter just to make life interesting!!

The new policeman in the valley (we don't have one of our own) is in next town up, as is the ambulance for the whole valley!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2020, 07:43:44 am »

Because as Prof. Marvel  has pointed out, there is no privacy afforded  by Google, I loaded my neighbour's address in the search bar to find and image of my home. My residence has several addresses attached to the title, which has totally confused all the property information websites. They have pictures of my place on all my neighbour's addresses- while not listing my property at all . Alas there is none from inside of the  ecclectic vintage interior decor  

I've done away with all the  blasted electric blue.Torn down the arch. Ripped off all signs of vicious dogs and paranoid people. The  grounds have been re landscaped some what .

This is  the premises where I am currently stationed.

The house looks wonderful, Annie! And while I agree with Prof. Marvel on the security issues, I have to be play the Devil's Advocate and say that were it not for Google, I would have never been able to see if my childhood home in Mexico City was still standing. Google Maps in the last few years appears to have become more taxing to computer systems, and what used to be handled quite swiftly within Mozilla, a mere 2GB RAM and an old Athlon 64 is now a chore to do (too slow, saturates the RAM), so obviously the online application has become quite "fatter" with information that as you say, is highly intrusive...

Now I navigate the streets of the world by way of the cornucopia of "Travel Porn" drone videos available on YouTube...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 07:46:12 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: