The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2020, 06:13:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Everyday style advice?  (Read 2949 times)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery (they/them)

« on: January 15, 2020, 09:18:57 pm »

For reasons discussed in the queer gear and just walking on the way of growing up and self expression I am looking to make some changes in my wardrobe.
I posted in the queer gear as well but I figured I extend to the rest of the forum for more potential input.
So
 I was wondering if anyone had any examples of androgynous looking old timey/steampunky/formal-ish looks. I am trying to make a collection of looks I like, in order to try find something that suits me.
This would be geared (pun intended) towards everyday wear, but more elaborate ideas are also welcomed Smiley

I struggle and arise
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 10:34:55 pm »

For cosplay, the "Aelita: Queen of Mars" royal dignitary look.

Not recommended for job interviews.
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 05:39:13 am »

That is fabulous!

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 05:42:57 am »

Ah My Dear Caledonian

I am going to assume  one is aiming toward "true adrogeny" fashion  (ie: dressing in such a
manner as to render the viewer wondering or unsure)  as opposed to "sartorial gender bending"
( ie: boys dressing "girlish" and girls dressing "boyish")

In that regard I would think that, one would want to "remove" or "mask" any shapeliness:
one can mask a bust, waist, or hipline via
- straight-hanging Morning Coats or Sack Coats,
- straight-hanging shirts and loose vests (ie: waistcoat)
- leaving said shirt untucked or unbloused
- subtley padded shoulers
- rather loose baggy pleated trousers ( or Kilts!) and
- sturdy as opposed to dainty footware such as high-topped shoes, gaiters or boots  

Oh, and one's hair!
the hairstyle and makeup (if any) are major western "cues" to gender

(BTW in the U.S. we thing of "boots" as "leather wellingtons", "cowboy boots", "lumberjack boots",
"combat boots", "desert boots", etc)

Interestingly, In your avatar you appear to have achieved that look....

there are some ideas below, altho the models are all the "skinny pretty pouty ones"
which makes me want to take them out, buy them a big burger and milkshake, and make them laugh...
"Here, eat some food! Laff and enjoy life!"

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2F236x%2Ffc%2F00%2Fd3%2Ffc00d328c9d9ddeb6d94e4a7ac0f6e01--androgynous-fashion-advanced-style.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2FJenny_Lawlor%2Finfluence-androgynous-fashion-style%2F&docid=-LGC1oo3cDuBaM&tbnid=KtZY2b2gh8RJaM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwiTuKKGnYfnAhXKK80KHZkvDuwQMwiCASgWMBY..i&w=236&h=354&client=firefox-b-1-d&bih=605&biw=1292&q=androgynous%20victorian&ved=0ahUKEwiTuKKGnYfnAhXKK80KHZkvDuwQMwiCASgWMBY&iact=mrc&uact=8

hope this helps
prof marvel
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 05:59:56 am by Prof Marvel » Logged

The world is in Hell and I am too depressed for words
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 07:19:05 am »

On the historical side, I've commented at the Queer Geer on Frontier women in the US, and the relationship between Suffrage (women's rights) and the liberation of women in the 1910s-20s, leading to women adopting trousers and boyish looks (Flappers).

On the Steampunk side (not histórical), look for the modernSSteampunk or Mid 20th century adaptation of 19th century military uniforms. Also very different, you can look for the Japanese "Kodona" or (aka "Ouji") look. It's basically androgynous fashion for girls wanting to look like aristocratic boys... But it's more of a Lolita "sweet" look that you may not be looking for.

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

too depressed for words

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 09:02:45 am »

My Good Caledonian -
Can you expounda t all on the look you are attempting to achieve?
I am deliberately not addressing any of  the less refined  "biker", "lumberjack" , "hiker" or other similar looks,
based on what you have expressed on the forum so far.

Ah My Dear J

thanks for commenting, I have followed your other threads (particularly as in this case vis-a-vis clothing and style)
and I firmly believe you have  an excellent eye for fashion,  detail, and gender neutral or androgenous style .

I concurr there is quite a bit out there on Frontier Women - some dressed "as men" due to the nature of the work and
"mannish clothing" was far more robust and suited to the work, whilst women took adavantage of the greater freedom
of the frontier to dress precisely as they desired.

I am still cogitating upon the topic, and I will jump over to "the queer gear" thread and see if I can add anything  useful....

yhs
prof marvel
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 09:58:54 am »

SNIP

That is fabulous!

Ha, ha, ha! I just realized these look like characters in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure  Grin (why is there no rofl emoji?)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 03:51:08 am »

I may have a job interview soon. I was thinking of wearing some form of Space Queen outfit , to go with my accidental intense red hair.  It's looks like I might have to go full dieselpunk as an image styling
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 03:56:19 am »

Ah My Dear Caledonian

I am going to assume  one is aiming toward "true adrogeny" fashion  (ie: dressing in such a
manner as to render the viewer wondering or unsure)  as opposed to "sartorial gender bending"
( ie: boys dressing "girlish" and girls dressing "boyish")

In that regard I would think that, one would want to "remove" or "mask" any shapeliness:
one can mask a bust, waist, or hipline via
- straight-hanging Morning Coats or Sack Coats,
- straight-hanging shirts and loose vests (ie: waistcoat)
- leaving said shirt untucked or unbloused
- subtley padded shoulers
- rather loose baggy pleated trousers ( or Kilts!) and
- sturdy as opposed to dainty footware such as high-topped shoes, gaiters or boots  

Oh, and one's hair!
the hairstyle and makeup (if any) are major western "cues" to gender

(BTW in the U.S. we thing of "boots" as "leather wellingtons", "cowboy boots", "lumberjack boots",
"combat boots", "desert boots", etc)

Interestingly, In your avatar you appear to have achieved that look....

there are some ideas below, altho the models are all the "skinny pretty pouty ones"
which makes me want to take them out, buy them a big burger and milkshake, and make them laugh...
"Here, eat some food! Laff and enjoy life!"

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2F236x%2Ffc%2F00%2Fd3%2Ffc00d328c9d9ddeb6d94e4a7ac0f6e01--androgynous-fashion-advanced-style.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2FJenny_Lawlor%2Finfluence-androgynous-fashion-style%2F&docid=-LGC1oo3cDuBaM&tbnid=KtZY2b2gh8RJaM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwiTuKKGnYfnAhXKK80KHZkvDuwQMwiCASgWMBY..i&w=236&h=354&client=firefox-b-1-d&bih=605&biw=1292&q=androgynous%20victorian&ved=0ahUKEwiTuKKGnYfnAhXKK80KHZkvDuwQMwiCASgWMBY&iact=mrc&uact=8

hope this helps
prof marvel

You are ever the marvelous gentleman.  A date in an old favourite coat, a burger, milkshake and a good laugh, along with an interesting  journey, is really all a girl wants during courtship. 
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 04:10:55 am »

...There are some ideas below, altho the models are all the "skinny pretty pouty ones"
"Here, eat some food! Laff and enjoy life!"...prof marvel

ha-ha! Reminds me of Edna Mode's comments about super-models...

The whole sequence is great...but the pertinent part is 0:50 - 1:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M68ndaZSKa8
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 09:27:55 am »

...There are some ideas below, altho the models are all the "skinny pretty pouty ones"
"Here, eat some food! Laff and enjoy life!"...prof marvel

ha-ha! Reminds me of Edna Mode's comments about super-models...

The whole sequence is great...but the pertinent part is 0:50 - 1:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M68ndaZSKa8

As long as you don't wear a cape, everything will be fine.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 11:54:16 am »

I may have a job interview soon. I was thinking of wearing some form of Space Queen outfit , to go with my accidental intense red hair.  It's looks like I might have to go full dieselpunk as an image styling

"Accidental" intense red hair? A mishap with the bottle, mayhap? Grin
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

too depressed for words

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 11:57:06 am »

Ah My Dears you give me too much credit!
Whenever I see the sad, goth, waif-like skinny models my little braincells do a time jump to this:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/7uQwnMlNy0U

(blast I can never seem to remember how to embed the video window thingy...)

My Dear J & Deimos -

Part of me says "no cape!"

another part remembers the sword and stick defense schools that teach "sword and cape" and how can you do it without a cape....

another part says "screw the cape, stick with Capt Jack's Greatcoat!"

which, brings us back to
GreatCoat as an accessory for an androgynous look

ah I forgot entirely! these make my point I think:

Ultimately , tho, I think one should be dressing to please oneself!
I invariable dress in a button down or collarless shirt; "old west vest" ; sturdy slacks and leather Roper boots ( ie leather wellingtons)
that would be at home in 1850, 1940, 0r 2020; and Southwestern jewelry. Bolos, belt buckles, braceletes, and stud or french hook
earings. I don't care if a shirt, vest, or piece of jewelry is feminine or manly, if I like it I wear it. And a Fedora, Pananma Hat, or Western "Cowboy Hat". BUT ... the hat MUST pass the Mrs Marvel Laff Test....

I used to wear kilts and hose or kilts and boots on various occasions, and a couple times to work.
I also once wore one of my entire Rondesvous outfits to work - Voyageurs Cap, pullover blouse, drop-front pants, mocassin boots
and a Hudson Bay Capote on top. looks kind like this

Regarding hair,
I find myself going back and forth with my hair length - between hair halfway down my back
and cropped to an insanely short crewcut. Why? I'm not sure. It's not mood. Last time I chopped it off it my scalp
seemed to be constantly irritated until I cut my hair. Now I'm growing it back long again, no irritation...I am close to being able to pull
it back in a pony tail.

At one "mountain Man rondesvous" I met a scholar who kept staring at me, and finally we had a long talk and
he told me all about Frank Hamilton Cushing and his time on the Zuni Pueblo ~ 1857. He was staring at me because he claimed
that I looked just like Cushing, except I was in white....

If one can shop the "thrift stores" and "estate sales" ( ie grandpa died andd we are selling off his crap) one can often
find high quality used clothing that can be readily and easily altered. That can make it easier to experiment with different "looks".

hope this helps
prof marvel
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 12:01:42 pm by Prof Marvel » Logged
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 03:38:15 pm »

A date in an old favourite coat, a burger, milkshake and a good laugh, along with an interesting  journey, is really all a girl wants during courtship. 

Although diamonds are always acceptable as well!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 04:32:05 am »

A date in an old favourite coat, a burger, milkshake and a good laugh, along with an interesting  journey, is really all a girl wants during courtship. 

Although diamonds are always acceptable as well!

They are girls best friend  ; }
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2020, 04:55:01 am »

Long hair story short :  it's a colour I'm sure I've tried before  with less dramatic affect. It was Intense Red vs Boho Copper. I was worried the Boho might mean insipid trendy  ginger tint. My hair is some what lighter these days.  I had been using a natural red hued dye to subtley adapt to the "industrial metallic" creeping in to the Celtic brunette;  it had the effect of evening the tone to a lighter chestnut shade.

Having relocated recently I had to resort to a different product. The result is very a intense  artificial  dieslpunk burlesque style vermilion. I'm having to slap on a fair amount of unnatural make up to carry the look off  until it rinses out.

The plus side is being chatted up by friendly  chaps in their  90s  in the supermarket.  It must be triggering  a bit of interbellum  nostalgia for them.  I'll have to paint on some seemed stockings and get shoulder pads.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2020, 06:31:39 am »

The plus side is being chatted up by friendly  chaps in their  90s  in the supermarket.  It must be triggering  a bit of interbellum  nostalgia for them.  I'll have to paint on some seemed stockings and get shoulder pads.

"Veda! Get out of this house! Get out! Get out before I kill you!"

(I.e., learn a few lines from "Mildred Pierce" and you'll have those nonagenerians falling at your feet  Shocked... of course, it may be that they merely tripped over their pants leg....)  Roll Eyes Grin
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 08:39:53 am by Deimos » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2020, 10:31:08 am »

The plus side is being chatted up by friendly  chaps in their  90s  in the supermarket.  It must be triggering  a bit of interbellum  nostalgia for them.  I'll have to paint on some seemed stockings and get shoulder pads.

"Veda! Get out of this house! Get out! Get out before I kill you!"

(I.e., learn a few lines from "Mildred Pierce" and you'll have those nonagenerians falling at your feet  Shocked... of course, it may be that they merely tripped over their pants leg....)  Roll Eyes Grin

It will probably be their pants legs
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2020, 12:54:34 pm »

Having relocated recently I had to resort to a different product.

Hurricane, you haven't relocated from your lovely house, have you?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 12:56:07 pm by Banfili » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2020, 09:31:30 pm »

As I wrote in the thread at Queer Geer the first thing that pops into my mind with respect to gender bending is the transition among cisgender and queer people in the early 20th century. Most notably Berlin, which was the epicenter for the first gender and sexual revolution of the 20th century, and even a scientific research locus for all issues related to gender and sexuality. Marlene Dietrich would be a a perfect icon for the phenomenon, completely outside of the 1920s cisgender Flapper fashion, which was meant to have women look "boyish" (boy styled haircuts). The Berlin scene and scientific research was destroyed by the Nazis as the 1930s progressed.

I think that feminism in the 20th century was very much instrumental in breaking the "trouser barrier" for women, and ever since women (straight or not) have mastered the use of the business suit since at least the 1930s, then later from the 40s onward it was feminized with the skirt instead of trousers. But the 1910s is as far back as you can go to see gender presentation reversals or blending. The Flapper look in the 1920s, while purposely androgynous was more feminine because it was paired with makeup and furs and dresses and the like. The 1940s "business woman" look was oddly more masculine, even if it was the domain of feminine women!

So if you can venture into the 20th century as opposed to staying with pre 1910s looks, I think you will be more successful in achieving what you want. A "newspaper boy" look already takes you to Edwardian times, but for a more mature look with long hair, I think you have to push into the 1920s-1940s. Modern fashion industry looks about in this area, I think.

In any event, accessories are very important. Tie, braces/suspenders, wingtip shoes, cap or hat are indispensable. Look at the details.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 10:12:39 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2020, 11:20:58 pm »

Собачье сердце - вы мужчина или женщина?

The far right is a woman. As an example.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2020, 09:15:16 am »

Having relocated recently I had to resort to a different product.

Hurricane, you haven't relocated from your lovely house, have you?

Yes I have. I'm in a new lovely house with a bigger section. Nearer the beach. It's a quaint little township , on the outskirts  of the city . They say it's the closet point to Australia . It's an old Port town on a river , that has long lost the Port . The maple leaf axminster carpet is fabulous. The remnants of the original back door way are half way down the hall.  There a few original 1940s light fittings and bakerlight electrical switches remaining .The power board is archaic and looks like  it's waiting for a good electrical  storm  have it's levers pulled
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2020, 09:22:21 am »

As I wrote in the thread at Queer Geer the first thing that pops into my mind with respect to gender bending is the transition among cisgender and queer people in the early 20th century. Most notably Berlin, which was the epicenter for the first gender and sexual revolution of the 20th century, and even a scientific research locus for all issues related to gender and sexuality. Marlene Dietrich would be a a perfect icon for the phenomenon, completely outside of the 1920s cisgender Flapper fashion, which was meant to have women look "boyish" (boy styled haircuts). The Berlin scene and scientific research was destroyed by the Nazis as the 1930s progressed.

I think that feminism in the 20th century was very much instrumental in breaking the "trouser barrier" for women, and ever since women (straight or not) have mastered the use of the business suit since at least the 1930s, then later from the 40s onward it was feminized with the skirt instead of trousers. But the 1910s is as far back as you can go to see gender presentation reversals or blending. The Flapper look in the 1920s, while purposely androgynous was more feminine because it was paired with makeup and furs and dresses and the like. The 1940s "business woman" look was oddly more masculine, even if it was the domain of feminine women!

So if you can venture into the 20th century as opposed to staying with pre 1910s looks, I think you will be more successful in achieving what you want. A "newspaper boy" look already takes you to Edwardian times, but for a more mature look with long hair, I think you have to push into the 1920s-1940s. Modern fashion industry looks about in this area, I think.

In any event, accessories are very important. Tie, braces/suspenders, wingtip shoes, cap or hat are indispensable. Look at the details.

Fabulous fashion shots Mr Wilhelm. Your post reminds me of my late father. He couldn't abide women wearing trousers. For some reason he felt his masculity and  patriarchal control  extremely threatened by it.  It could be why my sister and I took to wearing men's pants and shirts in our early teens.  My sister took to wearing a pair of his he could no longer fit.. He was known to literally give chase  when she left the house sportiing them .
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2020, 01:14:01 pm »

I always think of androgynous not as men wearing women's clothes or women wearing men's but as a mixture of both male and female attire in the same outfit.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2020, 07:17:03 pm »

I always think of androgynous not as men wearing women's clothes or women wearing men's but as a mixture of both male and female attire in the same outfit.

Dear Cora , men and women can both be from Mars. The late David Bowie taught us that.  Having the best of both worlds. Androgynyy is about leaving people guessing  in a rebellious way; not sure if your a boy or a girl
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: