The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 28, 2020, 11:17:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "Great" Steampunk Model Rail Challenge  (Read 4054 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2020, 10:39:04 am »

Or a very lightweight piece of metal sheet with cut-outs for maintenance access.  It would only be useful against shrapnel of course, but I'd submit that if a shell hit at that sort of height above the rail the con rod getting wrecked would be the least of your worries.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2020, 11:06:13 am »

I like the idea but there is one conundrum:

The outside rod would have  to be protected against shrapnell or other stuff.
But I like the moving rod on the outside.

Maybe use a d++n heavy/thuick replacement?

Depends on what it needs to be protected from. A conflict where both sides have heavy artillery (Such as WW1) yes. But a more asymmetrical conflict such as the Boer war or Indian Mutiny it would work as is. I might have to add some kind of skirt by I kind of like it as is.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2020, 02:13:29 pm »

Well things have been happening. I apologise for not keeping things updated more but what with the plague and other things its' been difficult to get the necessary parts and what have you (I've secured the Hornby pug which I intend to use for the inspection saloon and modified it so as it will mate with the cut down coach, which has also happened, however I need a coach bogie and plastic strut in order to get the coach at the right height and secured).

Today a kit arrived for a 1920's steam crane which I intend to have attempting/standing by to lift the tripod. Now, when built, the kit which should look something like this:

However, in keeping with this being a steampunk model project, I'm intending to create something like this:

The 'creature' above was an inter war experiment by the Fowler company (who made traction engines and steam rollers and the like) to keep steam power relevant and competitive with newer diesel engine machines which were smaller, lighter and usable in more areas (due to their weight plowing engines and the like worked in pairs couldn't actually enter the field they were working in).

Now my plan, (once I've been able to get to a model shop) is to obtain some kind of tracked vehicle (ATM I'm considering an airfix WW1 tank) and canablise it in order to mount the tracks onto the body of the steam crane.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2020, 12:06:59 pm »

Try this one:

or the original Hornsby:

there was a video on the tube about the Hornsby but I cannot find it right now.

I might be tempted to build a steam-powered version of my PZ201 Railcar:

another Turret, a stack, thicker plates,...coal bunker......strange ideas forming.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 12:09:49 pm by The Bullet » Logged

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2020, 11:01:31 am »

Oxford diecast showmans traction engine (in rough shape from a charity shop) transplanted into an Airfix tank (also from a charity shop in rough shape)

"Any machine is a smoke-machine if you screw up badly enough"
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2020, 05:29:10 pm »

Wonderful! An extremely well done imaginative--and hybrid Shocked---restoration!
Give the man First Prize!...(well, at least give him a cigar.  Grin )

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2020, 07:13:47 pm »

Oxford diecast showmans traction engine (in rough shape from a charity shop) transplanted into an Airfix tank (also from a charity shop in rough shape)

Actually, IIRC it was seeing you post that over on the book of arses faces that gave me the idea rather than using a railway crane I did have to hand. However, given the arrangement of the kit I have to hand, I suspect my attempt might look more than a little different.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2020, 08:38:01 pm »

Most impressive.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2020, 02:17:50 pm »

Well my track crane has happened.

I ended up using the tracks from an airfix sherman I happened to have lying around. Part of the reason I used it was also because unlike a lot of other similar kits I've encountered, the tracks and skirts are formed of separate mouldings rather than being part of the hull base.

There's still a little bit to do, such as attaching some thread to act as the cable, I'm also planning to add some lining (around the boiler bands and track skirts) as well as the flywheel, so more pictures to follow.
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2020, 08:32:43 pm »

That's coming on well
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2020, 02:39:55 am »

Gentlepersons

I usually post to offer something,
I usually don't jump in just to "sqweeee"

But DAMN these models you folks are building are exquisite, and the attention to the minute detail
is something I have never been able to master (just ask all the commercial models I have attempted, botched,
and sent to an early demise over the years....)

yours in admiration
prof sqweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2020, 11:10:46 am »

Well work has continued on my track crane, to the point where the lining has happened.

I'm not 100% happy with it, but if I were to continue until I was I'd never get anywhere. Once I've connected the hook (which I've been putting off because it's an annoying and fiddly job) it'll be ready to be fixed in place.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2020, 04:16:48 pm »

I´d be happy with it.

It looks just like it should after being used, scratched, bumped into and having the paint and lining touched up several times during its life.

It would not look half as good is "just out of the factory" condition.

Workhorse is workhorse.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2020, 05:15:42 pm »

Well, further progress has been made, to the point where the private saloon is ready.

I know it's not quite level, and there's no way it'd be able to manage any kind of tight bend, but since it's for static display (as things stand) that's not too much of a bother.

Ideally I'd like to have used a bogie, or otherwise articulated the rear axle, but I wasn't able to make that work. In the future I might look to upgrade it to make it usable on a layout, but that would require getting my hands on some smaller diameter wheels (actually, the pony truck from the airfix kitmaster spam can I have lying around might work).
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2020, 07:46:12 pm »

Well, further progress has been made, to the point where the private saloon is ready.

I know it's not quite level, and there's no way it'd be able to manage any kind of tight bend, but since it's for static display (as things stand) that's not too much of a bother.

Ideally I'd like to have used a bogie, or otherwise articulated the rear axle, but I wasn't able to make that work. In the future I might look to upgrade it to make it usable on a layout, but that would require getting my hands on some smaller diameter wheels (actually, the pony truck from the airfix kitmaster spam can I have lying around might work).

Very nice; rooted in reality but different enough to say most decisively 'Steampunk'. It would be impressive to see, at some point, it running too, but in any case it looks great as it is.

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2020, 11:44:23 am »

Seems to me that Hornsby were definitely consulting the wrong people when they designed their steampunk range - they should have been paying attention to you!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2020, 09:36:46 am »

Apparently someone has copied Mr Fish´s idea in 5" gauge:

https://www.stationroadsteam.com/5-inch-gauge-rail-motor-0-6-0-stock-code-9060/

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: