The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 01, 2020, 05:36:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Departed Cultural Icons 2020  (Read 2176 times)
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2020, 09:28:15 am »

June Dally-Watkins, Miss Manners to an entire nation. Age 92.
One of Australia's most accomplished businesswomen, many women were trained in etiquette and deportment at her school, and later modelling and business.

Beat me to it, chironex!
.... started Australia's first model agency and modelling school and later established a Business Finishing College.She was later a public proponent of etiquette and elocution, and frequently commented on those topics in the media.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2020, 09:15:35 pm »

Katherine Johnson: Hidden Figures Nasa mathematician dies at 101

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2020, 06:09:27 pm »

Freeman John Dyson FRS (15 December 1923 – 28 February 2020), English-born American theoretical physicist and mathematician,  known for his work in quantum electrodynamics, solid-state physics, astronomy and nuclear engineering, and originator of the concept of the Dyson Sphere.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2020, 09:29:53 pm »

Freeman John Dyson FRS (15 December 1923 – 28 February 2020), English-born American theoretical physicist and mathematician,  known for his work in quantum electrodynamics, solid-state physics, astronomy and nuclear engineering, and originator of the concept of the Dyson Sphere.

Must be something in the field of mathematics and physics (and archaeology) - quite a few live to a grand age!

Arthur ApSimon - (1927–2019) He was 91. Like Isobel Smith, Arthur was research assistant to Gordon Childe in London. He went to Queen’s University Belfast, then to the new Department of Archaeology in Southampton.
A bit late, but I only heard about his passing just recently
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2020, 07:24:01 pm »

We've lost James Lipton:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/02/inside-the-actors-studio-james-lipton-dead-dies-age-93/?fbclid=IwAR2rmFaioXvS8LO-iK8AtrSrHJBiWZBoh95rA8hheyAZ3xfY40VU9trofSo

Probably best known in the industry as an instructor at The Actor's Studio. Outside the industry, but known as the host of the Inside the Actor's Studio interview show.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2020, 08:53:27 am »

June Dally-Watkins, Miss Manners to an entire nation. Age 92.
One of Australia's most accomplished businesswomen, many women were trained in etiquette and deportment at her school, and later modelling and business.

Beat me to it, chironex!
.... started Australia's first model agency and modelling school and later established a Business Finishing College.She was later a public proponent of etiquette and elocution, and frequently commented on those topics in the media.

There a branch or 2 here in NZ . It was big in the 80s. I knew a few young ladies  who attended  classes during school holidays. 
Theyy all got portfolios at the end of the course it was a great encouragement to the tall girls . A couple of them went on to do a little modeling work.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2020, 01:17:56 pm »

Max Von Sydow: Actor dies aged 90.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2020, 03:16:59 am »

Throbbing Gristle's Genesis P-Orridge dies aged 70
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2020, 12:40:24 pm »

Roy Hudd Comedy Gold and actor age 83
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51906543?fbclid=IwAR3xE1FZqUV3ng5_RnZycpWK7h9O2vNM-XtSGF7i3qkG7uABxpGRx-SNdl0.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2020, 06:49:01 pm »

"The News Huddlines"  Grin
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2020, 11:58:38 pm »

On March 17, Valentina Gagarina, the wife of the world's first cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin, died .

On March 17, Russian writer, poet, publicist, and revolutionary Eduard Limonov died. He was 77 years old.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2020, 09:15:38 am »

Elinor Catherine Hamlin, AC, MBBS, FRCS, FRANZCOG, FRCOG (née Nicholson; 24 January 1924 – 18 March 2020), was an Australian obstetrician and gynaecologist who, with her husband, New Zealander Reginald Hamlin, co-founded the Addis Ababa Fistula Hospital, the world's only medical centre dedicated exclusively to providing free obstetric fistula repair surgery to poor women suffering from childbirth injuries. They also co-founded an associated non-profit organisation, Hamlin Fistula Ethiopia.

Hamlin has been recognised by the United Nations agency UNFPA as a pioneer in fistula surgery for her development of techniques and procedures for obstetric fistula treatment. The Hamlins, together with the hospital staff, have treated more than 60,000 women to date for obstetric fistula She died in Addis Ababa on 18 March 2020, aged 96
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2020, 10:22:04 am »

Kenny Rogers, age 81. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51986611?fbclid=IwAR1GWNvRIKMiwQpj30_MBgJdfaG7WsPJ9RAHfp_vmALreY1EPdtSq-hXGTU

Didn't know he was an actor as well, but apparently he did it several times.

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2020, 12:23:21 pm »

Albert Uderzo: Asterix co-creator and illustrator dies aged 92

Manu Dibango, Cameroon jazz-funk star, dies aged 86 of coronavirus
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 01:03:22 pm by Mercury Wells » Logged
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2020, 04:50:32 am »

Stuart Gordon
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2020, 12:09:53 am »

Actor Mark Blum.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/celebrity/crocodile-dundee-star-mark-blum-dies-at-69-from-complications-due-to-coronavirus/ar-BB11KZjT?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=mailsignout
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: