The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 01, 2020, 03:46:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think about this?  (Read 1051 times)
tangballgunter
Swab

Thailand Thailand

« on: December 28, 2019, 12:47:16 pm »

Hello everyone,

A question came to me and I could use some Input:Did the D-Ring Exist during the Victorian Era? With the Steampunk Backpack i Plan to make, I'm Thinking about adding Some D-Rings but want to make sure I'm  Not Going outside the Era with my Look. Can Anyone Tell me if the D-Ring Existed during that Time?

Thank for your comment.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 10:48:41 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 05:30:42 pm »

I think I saw one of the metal detector guys on Youtube dig up a D ring. They've been around for a long time as part of horse tack and leather fittings.
Astalo
Zeppelin Captain
Finland Finland

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 08:47:06 pm »

There was D-rings already in the medieval times, and maybe even earlier.
Gregor
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 08:48:05 pm »

Hi!

I would also venture a yes. 

I would certainly think at least from the Middle Ages on, the D-Ring in and of itself was on occasion used on belts and maybe sewn on to leather, or attached to metal with a separate strap.

As long as there were blacksmiths, there were D-Rings, and probably down to bronze-age works. Copper, silver, and gold were probably to malleable to make good D-rings.

I don't know why we don't see more D-rings than rings though, either they were harder to make or more expensive to make than a regular ring.
In both clothing, armor, animal-related (bits, nose rings, saddles), you just see more rings.

Into the industrial age, it was probably easier and cheaper to make D-Rings (less material for sure) so we see more use of them from the 1880s and on up.

gNorrie

Could somebody Pleeease explain to my mother that it is steam PUNK not steam PIMP!?!
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 12:12:31 am »

Lots of D ring involved in saddlery and harnesses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: