The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 27, 2020, 05:48:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Send some rain and cold down-under!  (Read 1173 times)
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« on: December 18, 2019, 12:51:25 am »

It is going to be a real stinker over the next few days - just put sheets over the ferns and hydrangeas and made sure everything was well watered.

Down the cool end of Australia we are only getting a couple of 40+ C degree days, but everywhere else it will last longer, with some places set to reach 50+ C! And they are still breathing smoke from the bushfires further north. If you are suffering the cold up there, send it our way, please.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 01:58:24 am »

At the moment I am feeling lightly kippered!

Not only have the smoke from the high country fires (only about 15-20kms distant as the crow flies) but East Gippsland's smoke moved north with the wind yesterday and has now settled in the valley. It is to be 40o here today, 42 tomorrow, 41 Friday and back to 42 on Saturday, with the possibility of a change on Sunday. It is also dry as chips, so, yes please, send rain in copious amounts, and some cool weather with it, please!!

The long range forecast is for similar conditions as those we had last summer, when there were 6 weeks of daytime temperatures in the 40os - this weather will be with us until March, and I have already had enough! Help!!

So far we have been fortunate not to have had the catastrophic fires being suffered by our brethren in New South Wales and Queensland - there are fires burning in five of the six states - the two territories are ok so far.

I heard whilst driving home from town this morning that two teenage morons of the male persuasion had been caught and arrested for lighting scrub fires in Tasmania - trying to set the whole country ablaze perhaps - can't have Tassie left out now, can we!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 08:30:46 am »

Wish we could help, but we haven't got much of a winter in Texas, alternating coldddays days with near 3 Celsius at night and hot (for Winter) days with 26 C during the day! It's very difficult to tell what clothes you need to step out of the house! Normally temperatures should not exceed 10 Celsius during winter with a dip to Zero /Freezing being common after the first week of December. In cold winters (eg 1980s), it was common to get snow flurries in daylight for a couple of weeks and ice sheets (freezing rain re-freezing overnight) in January. Those days are gone, I'm afraid. Fall and Spring have merged, leaving out Winter.

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 11:41:56 am »

Tuesday set a record for the highest average temperature Australia-wide since recording started, at 40.7°C - yes, that's average temp.
Yesterday broke that average and set a new record, at 41.7°C!
I think this record is not going to last the weekend, as higher temperatures are predicted for tomorrow and the weekend

This is going to be a long, hot, summer down under!  Cry
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 03:10:26 pm »

47 C in  parts of the state of Victoria today, with 47.9 C setting a new December record for the state. Melbourne had 45 C in parts. At midnight, a stronger wind has just started coming through, hopefully cooling us down for a nicer weekend.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 09:42:38 pm »

47 C in  parts of the state of Victoria today, with 47.9 C setting a new December record for the state. Melbourne had 45 C in parts. At midnight, a stronger wind has just started coming through, hopefully cooling us down for a nicer weekend.

The hottest I've ever heard about in Texas summer is around 46 Celcius. The hottest urban settlement in the US is Yuma in Arizona, with a maximum temperature 51 Celcius on record,but it can get hotter in the inhabited areas nearby.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 09:56:50 pm »

Over here it's mild but we're getting torrential rain almost every day, and this pattern has been established since the start of October. I expect after the latest bout there'll be a number of areas flooded out over Christmas. Welcome to the new global climate  Embarrassed

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. our thoughts are with all of those suffering in Australia - we sincerely hope the wildfires can be brought under control soon.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 09:59:01 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 03:48:35 pm »

When I got home from town the temperature was a bout 40°C in the shade at three in the afternoon. Visibility, that is, where I could see actual shapes, was abt 800 metres, as the bushfire smoke had really dropped back into the valley. Theoretically, tomorrow should be 36°C, Monday ditto, Tuesday ditto, Wednesday ditto, and so on - I don't think that will happen. Today was meant to be 36°C!

The forecast says we will have this kind of weather 'til late March - I would really prefer to be somewhere else!
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 03:58:57 pm »

P.S. our thoughts are with all of those suffering in Australia - we sincerely hope the wildfires can be brought under control soon.

These are the kinds of bushfires that are uncontrollable - they will have to burn themselves out. The ones closest to me are just being watched. The terrain is primarily inaccessible, and unless they really run mad will be contained until they burn themselves out.
Tomorrow is heading towards a bad day, with high winds, higher gusts, and higher temperatures. A state of emergency has been declared in NSW, which will last for the next seven days.

A friend I used to work with went to work on Wednesday, as did her husband, heading off in their different directions. Their town was evacuated, and they are unable to return permanently at the present. They were allowed in for a brief time on Thursday to gather what they needed, and then cleared out again to Wollongong, where their son and his family live. They are treating the whole thing as an 'enforced holiday' and will probably not return home (if it is still there, of course!) until after Christmas. They are also friends with one of the firefighters who was badly burned on Wednesday - the degrees of separation are getting less and less!

At the moment I am in my office, which smells of smoke - it is too hot to sleep well, although I will have to head off to bed soon or I will be unbearable tomorrow!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 04:00:41 pm by Banfili » Logged
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 11:43:37 pm »

These are the kinds of bushfires that are uncontrollable - they will have to burn themselves out. The ones closest to me are just being watched. The terrain is primarily inaccessible, and unless they really run mad will be contained until they burn themselves out.
Tomorrow is heading towards a bad day, with high winds, higher gusts, and higher temperatures. A state of emergency has been declared in NSW, which will last for the next seven days.

A friend I used to work with went to work on Wednesday, as did her husband, heading off in their different directions. Their town was evacuated, and they are unable to return permanently at the present. They were allowed in for a brief time on Thursday to gather what they needed, and then cleared out again to Wollongong, where their son and his family live. They are treating the whole thing as an 'enforced holiday' and will probably not return home (if it is still there, of course!) until after Christmas. They are also friends with one of the firefighters who was badly burned on Wednesday - the degrees of separation are getting less and less!

At the moment I am in my office, which smells of smoke - it is too hot to sleep well, although I will have to head off to bed soon or I will be unbearable tomorrow!

We wish the best for you.  We know about such fires (mainly in California but occasionally in Texas) so we know a bit of what you are going through.

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2019, 12:37:18 am »

I wish all you hot people all the very best.  from a cold and wet UK.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 01:18:34 am »

I'll take cold and wet over hot and dry any day! Perhaps my Irish genes dominate, and I am an unnatural Australian!!
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 07:27:30 am »

I'll take cold and wet over hot and dry any day! Perhaps my Irish genes dominate, and I am an unnatural Australian!!

As someone who grew up in central Northern Territory, then spent time in the Pilbara, Darwin and north Queensland, I can tell you I MUCH prefer the weather in Melbourne, (although it could be a little colder and wetter.) Imagine not having to water the garden all the time! That would be heaven.

Please stay safe from the fires.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2019, 07:42:48 am »

We can't send you winter, but we can send firefighters.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2019, 12:16:16 pm »

We greatly appreciate the help and support of the firefighters from Canada, and from wherever the come - the firefighting community, I believe, stands together and assists each other no matter where the fire is.Yours come here, ours go there, or to America or to New Zealand, just as the Kiwi firefighters come here. This is going to continue a catastrophic 'fire season' (aka 'Summer". It has been a long six weeks so far, and no meaningful rain predicted until the end of January, so the fires will just continue to burn, and hopefully be contained, or even better, brought under as much control as possible.

Visibility from my back door this morning was 800 metres.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 01:04:17 pm »

Earlier in the week, the smoke was so bad in NSW that staff had to leave the headquarters of the Rural Fire Service - ie., the people who were trying to fight them fires - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-10/nsw-bushfires-tuesday-live-blog/11783502
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2019, 09:29:17 pm »

Visibility unchanged this morning - like living in 19th century London!
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2019, 11:43:22 am »

You have no idea how grateful we are you country-people are willing to forego their Christmas at home to help fight fires in Australia. Thank you.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2019, 12:35:57 pm »

"Our" firefighters left yesterday for redeployment elsewhere - after six weeks working I hope they get a break first! Our local fires have been isolated and are being left to local units to monitor - we had thirty three fires in the local area. If there is any escalation, they will come back. Local crisis averted for now - phew!

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 03:12:25 am »

Our thoughts are with you  across the ditch in NZ. It's unseasonably chilly here. We are  living in a smokey yellow haze from the fires, breathing is a little compromised, wind is a little still.  One can only imagine what it's like on the ground where  the inferno is raging on. Go safely.

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 04:33:44 am »

Our thoughts are with you  across the ditch in NZ. It's unseasonably chilly here. We are  living in a smokey yellow haze from the fires, breathing is a little compromised, wind is a little still.  One can only imagine what it's like on the ground where  the inferno is raging on. Go safely.

My own town appears to have dodged the bullet this week, but I am not unpacking my bail-out kit for a while yet - after all, we still have 3 months of this ahead of us. Later this week and next week the temperature is forecast to climb again.

Roads into Victoria are primarily closed - you can get out, but not in.

Yesterday the thermometer on my back deck, in the shade, was 48.9°C, and later on about 7.30pm it still read 39.6°C. Today is much more bearable, as a southerly change went through last night and there is a little bit of patchy rain about. The southerly did not help reduce fires, but did spark them up a bit, making things a bit worse for the most part.

The smoke, however, is still with us in a big way. I am staying in for the most part, except for checking on my next-door neighbours, and friends up the road.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2020, 05:03:23 am »

The effect of the fires has many dimensions. My wife is on a cruise ship with friends. They were going to stopover at Kangaroo Island, South Australia, for a day, support the local businesses, etc. However, fires have just burnt one third of the island (for reference, KI is about the size of Cyprus or Rhode Island). As a result, the captain decided to bypass the island, even though they would have docked at the other end of KI, where there is no damage or danger. They were not the only cruise ship to make this decision. State authorities have asked non-essential people to avoid going there. In Victoria and NSW, an equivalent of a state of emergency has been declared for a week, which means the government can order people to evacuate from areas of danger, rather than defend or rebuild.

This is the peak of the tourism period for Australia. These areas are going to be crushed by the loss of income this month and the lack of resources to support tourism in the coming months. Even if a business wasn't burnt, it will hurt any chance of them being financially viable, because they won't get the clientale. If the businesses are hurt, the viability of the local economy is badly damaged. This has a multitude of consequences. Even repairing the basic resources (water/roads/electricity/telecommunications), won't mean that things will easily go back to normal.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2020, 05:25:28 am »

Oh, one more thing. After the Black Saturday fires in 2009, the rural fire agency in Victoria (the CFA) decided that the old fire danger rating system wasn't enough. It had the levels: low, high, very high, severe, extreme. They added Code Red, because severe and extreme weren't strong enough for some people, and they would stay until they knew a fire was coming. Code Red means if you are in an area of immense high risk, get out *before* the fire even starts. You will not be able to defend your property or yourself. A Code Red was the circumstances in parts of Victoria on 21st November 2019 (ie. during the Aussie Spring!).

Australia is a great place to live but as with everywhere, it has its good points and its bad points. Luckily most of us only encounter the good points.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2020, 05:34:35 am »

For the moment smoke is the major problem, but this coming weekend will be another watching weekend! We did have a cool change come through Sunday/Monday, but it is already starting to warm up again, with temperatures heading for the mid-40s. I am leaving my bail-out kit near the back door, with only the last minute items like my laptop and netbook to chuck in the car, with the cats and a couple of hand-made musical instruments I refuse to leave behind!

The hard part is deciding which of my ’treasures’ to leave - have decided not “see” things anymore - makes the decisions too hard!

This series of fires across the whole country will take many years to recover from - some places will never recover.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 05:36:14 am by Banfili » Logged
Melrose
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2020, 03:01:53 am »

Hope  our Aussie members are all staying safe.

In 1983, I was out with other volunteers in the Ash Wednesday fires, this state's first declared "state of emergency". They pale alongside the present fires. The weather has been crazy around where I live, over 40º one day, hot, dry, gusting winds, thunderstorms with lightning but no rain, then two or three days later the coldest January day on record, followed in a couple more days by 40º again. South Australia has had a few big fires, one about 30km east of here which is continuing to burn but, barring freak weather, contained, and a devastating blaze on Kangaroo Island. But the eastern states have had much worse.

My son and his family live halfway up the Blue Mountains west of Sydney, just beyond the urban fringe, and they are constantly ready to leave. My younger daughter's family are in Canberra, ACT, and though not in direct danger from the fires, they've been under smoke since before Christmas. They visited here for Christmas, and we turned on a layer of smoke to make them feel at home.

Every day brings something new. The navy evacuated people from the beach at one Victorian town using landing craft - the smoke was too thick for helicopters. A large part of Kangaroo Island has burned and an international resort is destroyed. It's only a resort, we may say. The woman who runs it with her husband also lost her father, well-known Aussie charter pilot Dick Lang, and her brother, a surgeon, as they were returning home after fighting the fires for two days.

I visited my son in 2018 and after a day looking at towns in the mountains, we travelled down the south-east coast of New South Wales. Every town I visited on that holiday is either under serious threat or has actually suffered from the fires.

You might like to walk down the main street of Tilba, NSW, using Google street view. Take a look around as you go down Bate Street, to the cheese factory at the bottom, which has a beautiful 1950s milk bar on Blacksmiths Lane. Before you start, look left past the pub at the top of the road, and the memorial to the dead of the World War (back then there had only been one). That scene was on the TV news a few days ago. You could only see as far as the second row of trees, the rest was under smoke.

The town is National Trust (you can't rebuild history), and mostly timber buildings. Today, Tilba is waiting to see if the nearest fire comes over a hill and onto the town. They have no water, and are putting out a call for anyone with water tankers to help. See this on Facebook. That's desperate.

I took a look at what's being said overseas, and I think the BBC report here is good.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 03:19:40 am by Melrose » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: