The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 24, 2020, 07:07:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk wedding help!  (Read 299 times)
Pollyb007
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: December 17, 2019, 12:23:42 am »

Hey guys!

I'm new to this forum and steampunk, but me and the other half have always loved steampunk, we are getting married in August next year, we have an outside woodland venue, but I am looking for ideas with centre pieces, lighting, decorations and of course the outfits! I have Pinterest and believe me have ideas but I could do with some good websites, shops I can visit (east anglia region) and good diy tips, my partner works with copper, so I have good materials to work with, and want to do as much as I can myself!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Polly[size=10pt[/size]
Kensington Locke
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 03:21:01 pm »

I've not had a friend do a steampunk wedding, but a few who've done a renfair wedding (self-organized, rather than at the big fair).

The first part is you tell all the guests what theme is and to come in costume. Expect better and lesser success at that, so focus on helping the participants (groomsmen and bridesmaids) rather than the audience.  Steampunk is a bit easier get close enough to for an audience if they aim for Victorian-esque. The audience is just background extras.

Try this article to send the guests tips on how to dress their part:
https://www.galveston.com/blog/440/what-to-wear-for-this-years-dickens-on-the-strand-festival/

Expect eclectic.  Steampunk is eclectic.  Unless you're rich, don't try to plunger in 4 women into the same outfit.  Looking alike isn't steampunk (unless you're a rich eccentric like Dr. Loveless, and even then, his villainous women wore different outfits). Let everyone's creativity blossom into coming up with their own look, simply help them along (with accessories).

Since this wedding is voluntary, you might hold off on weapon props (especially the cast members) so their hands aren't full. Accesories that are worn would be most convenient for them (goggles, medals, mechanical add-ons).  I wrote a blog article that gives a few tips on that:
https://www.klforslund.com/post/sp-a-disarming-conversation

Also note, if you want the cast coming down the aisle with steam vaporizers, go right ahead. Just make sure the people who gotta use their hands aren't holding anything so you avoid breaking the flow to put props down to dig out a ring.

The preacher will likely come dressed in classic reverend outfit or suit.  Unless they're game for it, do not make them do anything extra.  They are the paid talent, so to speak.  They'll look good in sepia toned photos Smiley

Good luck, and tell us how it all turned out.

Pollyb007
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 07:24:32 pm »

You're an absolute star thank you so much for the info! I have told the guests via word of mouth about the theme so far and have said to join in if they wish but I won't be offended if not, I love steampunk, but it isn't for everyone (I come from a family of typically conventional weddings) but they are all very supportive. As for the main wedding party they are all excited for the opportunity to experiment with their clothing, I'm not bothered about matching, I want as much variety as possible, I love the idea of the sepia tone for photos!

Can you tell I'm excited?  Grin

Thanks again!
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 10:48:53 pm »

Congratulations Pollyboo7!

I know they're in the States, so shipping to East Anglia might be expensive, but Historical Emporium at https://www.historicalemporium.com/ has a wide variety of bits and pieces for finishing off outfits, some of which are explicitely Steampunk.  Also see their Men's Accessories, Jewelry, and Ladie's Other categories.They can provide whole outfits, but where's the fun im that?

Health, wealth, and happiness to you and your partner.

Darkhound

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
Kensington Locke
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 10:53:15 pm »

Can you tell I'm excited?  Grin

Thanks again!

As you should be, and you're quite welcome.

Steampunk tends to have a  found object/make the best from what you have vibe.  So if you take that to what with every situation you run into prepping this wedding and beyond, you'll always make something wonderful.
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 01:27:09 am »

You're an absolute star thank you so much for the info! I have told the guests via word of mouth about the theme so far and have said to join in if they wish but I won't be offended if not, I love steampunk, but it isn't for everyone (I come from a family of typically conventional weddings) but they are all very supportive. As for the main wedding party they are all excited for the opportunity to experiment with their clothing, I'm not bothered about matching, I want as much variety as possible, I love the idea of the sepia tone for photos!

Can you tell I'm excited?  Grin

Thanks again!

What! You mean to say you are having a wedding which will be "fun" and which the guests might actually enjoy, instead of one of those "Pinterest Perfect Matchy-Matchy" weddings??? Sounds great - I'm a little bit envious that I won't be there!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: