The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 27, 2020, 05:23:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC's War Of The World  (Read 437 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: December 14, 2019, 11:33:32 pm »

What do you think of the BBC's War Of The World mini serie ? I pretty much love the cinematography and the soundtrack.

Trailer:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-yas0yPbLU

The Marvelous Soundtrack:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRFrtMtcwEQ&t=1908s
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 11:36:43 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 01:56:18 am »

Cool! I LOVE this kind of drama - I will be waiting and watching with interest. Also for the one SBS (Australian) will broadcast later in 2020. Thanks for pointing this out.  Grin
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 01:42:01 pm »

The general feeling of everybody I know who has seen it has been pretty consistent.
It was at best a missed opportunity and at worst completely tedious.
I'd go with the worst.
Very little of Wells made it to the final version.
It's more of a melodrama about Edwardian views on marriage with a few aliens thrown in.

The 3 hour drama could have been edited down to an hour and it would still not have been great.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 01:46:01 pm »

Boring and vapid.  Not worth my time and effort- either watching it, critiquing it or debating my opinion on it. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 03:39:00 pm »

Very little of Wells made it to the final version.
It's more of a melodrama about Edwardian views on marriage with a few aliens thrown in.

What i saw was more akin to a display  of individuals behavior during time of crisis . The mariage thing had pretty much become a secondary thing by episode  2 /the second hour. It depends on what we focus on i guess.

Edit: Ok, i presently watching episode 3 and the main character just said verbatim what Wells wanted to transmit when he wrote the novel,than the whole thing is a foot in the other shoe criticism of colonialism , what give a new dimension to my aforementioned statement about crisis psychology.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 04:13:13 pm by chicar » Logged
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 05:58:01 pm »

Promising start, but failed to deliver IMHO.

It honestly felt like the entire thing had been cut down and then rejiggered in order to still make sense.

Based on watching it, and what I've heard I think it was written as a much longer series but then the production squad got told to cut it down to 3 hours.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 08:23:38 pm »

It honestly felt like the entire thing had been cut down and then rejiggered in order to still make sense.

Based on watching it, and what I've heard I think it was written as a much longer series but then the production squad got told to cut it down to 3 hours.

Sounds like the BBC were advised 6 or 8 hours of it constituted a war crime. 
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 05:26:11 pm »

Sounds like the BBC were advised 6 or 8 hours of it constituted a war crime. 

Entirely possible, but I'm basing my opinion on the fact that the first episode and a half largely followed the book and looked like it might explore the aftermath of the invasion, but then it suddenly went completely off the rails with the whole "I just remembered that I completely repressed the fact that I saw my missing 'husband' whom I've been searching for over the last decade and a bit, die 10 years ago".
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 06:15:10 pm »

UGH!!

British Bias Coropration, not worth the time!

Tread softly and carry a GBFO stick!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: