The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 27, 2020, 05:47:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lady Betty: The Psychotic Hangwoman Of Roscomon  (Read 971 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: December 11, 2019, 02:10:04 am »

Pure Horror Movie Material:
https://irishwomenshistory.blogspot.com/2014/12/lady-betty-merciless-hangwoman-of.html

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 08:13:13 am »

Very similar to my mother-in-law - same name too! I now believe in reincarnation!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 06:27:53 pm »

Very similar to my mother-in-law - same name too! I now believe in reincarnation!

Ha, ha ! The merciless hang woman of Roscommon!

morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 10:17:12 pm »

s it real? Or a hoax?

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 10:59:16 pm »

s it real? Or a hoax?

Occupation, hangwoman. Years active, 1789–1802. Elizabeth "Liz" Sugrue Irish: Éilis Uí Shiochrú; (c. 1740/1750 – 1807), also known as Lady Betty
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 09:53:55 pm »

Today I told this story to my colleagues, in the dining room, during lunch. She was popular.

Only we haven't been able to come up with a good moral that flows from this story.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 11:01:28 pm »

Today I told this story to my colleagues, in the dining room, during lunch. She was popular.

Only we haven't been able to come up with a good moral that flows from this story.

"Check the identity of who it is you intend to kill before you kill them" would be a good start!
Nothing more vexing than mistaken identity!
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 02:23:55 am »

"Check the identity of who it is you intend to kill before you kill them" would be a good start!

Maybe, just maybe, her son was a real a-hole and she was just ridding the world of an oxygen thief.

I have an ancestor who was transported for stealing a tankard (probably full). He was such an unsavoury person that the judge said it was a shame he hadn't committed a more serious offence so they could've hanged him. After serving his time in the new colony, he abandoned his wife and child (she was probably happy to see him go) and bought a passage to India. And then it gets very strange, because there were records of him getting on the ship and records of him NOT being ill whilst on the ship, but before the ship landed in India he had mysteriously disappeared. We reckon he was shoved overboard somewhere and never spoken of again. No one ever missed him.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 03:17:28 pm »

Maybe, just maybe, her son was a real a-hole and she was just ridding the world of an oxygen thief.

I have an ancestor who was transported for stealing a tankard (probably full). He was such an unsavoury person that the judge said it was a shame he hadn't committed a more serious offence so they could've hanged him. After serving his time in the new colony, he abandoned his wife and child (she was probably happy to see him go) and bought a passage to India. And then it gets very strange, because there were records of him getting on the ship and records of him NOT being ill whilst on the ship, but before the ship landed in India he had mysteriously disappeared. We reckon he was shoved overboard somewhere and never spoken of again. No one ever missed him.

I have an ancestor who was transported for life for being in possession of a firearm - a pistol, I believe - something forbidden for an Irish Catholic, who, when he finally receive his ticket-of-leave married and fathered a swarm of children, and lived as happily ever after as a 19th century ex-convict could! Of course, if he had done anything naughty with the pistol the end result would have been a lot different! Because he could read and write English he had some security, and ended up marrying the bosses daughter! He was a Whiteboy (agrarian revolutionary), but hadn't actually shot anybody yet, as far as anyone knows, that is!

« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 03:19:10 pm by Banfili » Logged
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 06:02:37 pm »

There was a good moral. "Always listen to your mother."

Although judging by history, the deceased was not a bad son. He wrote to his mother and sent money. And when he succeeded, he returned to her.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 07:53:02 am »

I have ancestors from County Roscommon. They are all mad
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2019, 11:35:00 am »

I don't have ancestors from Roscommon, but there aren't any saner in Wicklow or Tipperary!
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 12:14:19 am »

I am a mainlander, but most of my family (including my brothers) are Tasmanian... 'nuff said.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 02:19:04 am »

I am a mainlander, but most of my family (including my brothers) are Tasmanian... 'nuff said.

Do the scars show?
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2019, 04:02:34 am »

No scars on me! And brothers refuse to show theirs. Luckily I am a mainlander, otherwise I might have had to marry one of them... Ewww.  Grin
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2019, 12:47:18 pm »

No scars on me! And brothers refuse to show theirs. Luckily I am a mainlander, otherwise I might have had to marry one of them... Ewww.  Grin
I was referring  to your brothers, not your good self! I have met, and worked with some Tassielanders - they must have good plastic surgeons hiding in the mountains down there!
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2019, 07:51:31 am »

I was referring  to your brothers, not your good self! I have met, and worked with some Tassielanders - they must have good plastic surgeons hiding in the mountains down there!

Touchy people sometimes - whenever I ask my family to show me their scar they get all testy...

(In explanation to anyone reading this who doesn't know; Tasmanian's are born with two heads due to alleged in-breeding, and they have the second head removed at birth, hence the scar. If you are NOT born in Tasmania you don't have a scar.) I do have a two-headed teddy bear and a two-headed gingerbread man biscuit cutter though.  Grin
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2019, 11:39:19 pm »

Touchy people sometimes - whenever I ask my family to show me their scar they get all testy...

(In explanation to anyone reading this who doesn't know; Tasmanian's are born with two heads due to alleged in-breeding, and they have the second head removed at birth, hence the scar. If you are NOT born in Tasmania you don't have a scar.) I do have a two-headed teddy bear and a two-headed gingerbread man biscuit cutter though.  Grin

Thank you for the explanation... we Texans weren't generally aware of that interesting trait.  We have an entirely different set of... peculiarities (?)

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2019, 07:29:55 am »

Thank you for the explanation... we Texans weren't generally aware of that interesting trait.  We have an entirely different set of... peculiarities (?)

You sure do talk funny, Will.   Grin
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2019, 10:01:53 pm »

You sure do talk funny, Will.   Grin

I take that as a compliment from an Aussie, Synistor 303.  Thank you!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 03:04:09 am »

I don't have ancestors from Roscommon, but there aren't any saner in Wicklow or Tipperary!

I did have a GT GT GT uncle from Somerset who emigrated with  family as a child, then left NZ of his own accord, bound for Australia and the mine fields. He was hanged as a bushbrager in the 1850s.  I haven't been able to access any details.   He's a family secret
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 04:38:46 am »

I did have a GT GT GT uncle from Somerset who emigrated with  family as a child, then left NZ of his own accord, bound for Australia and the mine fields. He was hanged as a bushbrager in the 1850s.  I haven't been able to access any details.   He's a family secret

Not now he's not! One of my GGGrandfathers, fromCo. Wicklow, was transported for life, and one of my great grandmothers was Ned Kelly's cousin! They are not family secrets, but talked about quite openly!
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2020, 12:37:22 am »

I did have a GT GT GT uncle from Somerset who emigrated with  family as a child, then left NZ of his own accord, bound for Australia and the mine fields. He was hanged as a bushbrager in the 1850s.  I haven't been able to access any details.   He's a family secret

Not now he's not! One of my GGGrandfathers, fromCo. Wicklow, was transported for life, and one of my great grandmothers was Ned Kelly's cousin! They are not family secrets, but talked about quite openly!

We have one female convict ancestor who seems to have no records. We can't find a thing about her, which suggests her name was changed for some reason. We can't find out what she did to get transported, so have assumed her family was able to 'hush it up' and get records removed. We'd love to know what she did...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2020, 01:08:48 am »

We have one female convict ancestor who seems to have no records. We can't find a thing about her, which suggests her name was changed for some reason. We can't find out what she did to get transported, so have assumed her family was able to 'hush it up' and get records removed. We'd love to know what she did...

Could have been anything as simple as stealing a handkerchief worth 1 halfpenny - didn't need much!
My GGGrandfather was a "White Boy" - Irish agrarian revolutionary.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: