The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 12, 2020, 10:29:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Robert Paul: The showman and pioneer who was written out of cinematic history  (Read 376 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« on: December 07, 2019, 12:47:58 pm »

For premium subscribers readers only  Sad

Robert Paul: The showman and pioneer who was written out of cinematic history

There is a lot of debate about who was the true inventor of cinema. Was it the Lumière brothers? Louis Le Prince? Georges Méliès? Thomas Edison? William Friese-Greene? Historians and students of film have their own favourites for the title, and it’s true that all of them, to some extent, played their part in the dawn of the moving picture.
(C) The Independent '19

Robert William Paul

British inventor, film producer

Foremost pioneer of the British film industry in its formative years. Robert Paul was born on 3 October 1869 at 3 Albion Place, off Liverpool Road, Highbury, North London. He was educated at the City & Guilds Technical College, Finsbury. Before starting business on his own account in 1891, he worked in the electrical instrument shop of Elliott Brothers in the Strand, where he obtained a practical knowledge of instrument making. His own business was conducted from 44 Hatton Garden. His main concern was producing instruments to meet the ever-growing demands of the electrical industry and in this he was remarkably successful. In addition to his achievements in the electrical field, Paul holds a unique position in the history of the early cinema. His genius and talents were such that he combined not only the roles of inventor and manufacturer, but also those of producer, exhibitor, and cinematographer. No other film pioneer ever matched his extraordinary versatility, yet Paul himself regarded his film work as just a side-line to his electrical interests.
(C) Who's Who of Victorian Cinema.

Robert W. Paul

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: