The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 01, 2020, 02:40:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: T-Coffieuser  (Read 2341 times)
spunk
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« on: November 07, 2019, 04:49:34 pm »

I wanted to generate some steam for a cup of tea,
           inspired by the interweb I found an old sewing machine to start with

so now i can make me:  1 cup of coffee or tea.. Grin

https://youtu.be/IUkWu2STkvc

my creations so far: https://steamtime.weebly.com                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 05:18:37 pm by spunk » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 06:51:16 pm »

Really nice! I hope the tea or coffee (if I'm allowed to use that word on a Steampunk forum  Wink) tastes as good as the device looks.

Yours,
Miranda.
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 01:15:17 am »

Oh, that is just stunning!
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 02:29:15 am »

Oh, just brilliant!
Deimos
Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 01:05:56 pm »

Well done....extremely well done.
But now I have to go find me an old sewing machine and make one for myself  Tongue
 (I consume at least a liter of tea every day).

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"Only the paranoid survive."
Anselmofanzero
Gunner
Germany Germany

Custom Builds on Request

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 11:35:52 pm »

Ok, Im curious, which word is Miranda talking about? Oo
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 01:16:59 am »

"Coffee," which IMHO is as much a Steampunk beverage as tea.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 03:40:11 am »

I call it the "C" word... Husband and daughter are fans. It is SO messy - grounds seem to end up all over the kitchen bench. Horrible stuff.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 01:02:01 pm »

I call it the "C" word... Husband and daughter are fans. It is SO messy - grounds seem to end up all over the kitchen bench. Horrible stuff.

Always coffee, never tea! Coffeepunk!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 10:30:18 am »

It's better'n tanbark, believe me.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 12:33:38 am »

If your husband doesn't clean the kitchen bench- is that GROUNDS for separation or divorce?

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 02:58:02 am »

If your husband doesn't clean the kitchen bench- is that GROUNDS for separation or divorce?

Certainly grounds for coffee grounds 'mysteriously' winding up in his dinner.

'Invoked or not, the gods will be present.'

-The Oracle of Delphi
Anselmofanzero
Gunner
Germany Germany

Custom Builds on Request

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 05:45:40 pm »

Never thought tea is ok and coffee a bad word ^^ learned something today.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 06:51:22 pm »

There are one or two members of our local Steampunk group who view the consumption of coffee as a capital offence  Wink. Personally, whilst I prefer tea I do enjoy coffee too - so long as it's a good coffee, and ideally has a measure of something 'spirited' in it...

Yours,
Miranda.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 11:22:22 pm »

There are one or two members of our local Steampunk group who view the consumption of coffee as a capital offence  Wink. Personally, whilst I prefer tea I do enjoy coffee too - so long as it's a good coffee, and ideally has a measure of something 'spirited' in it...

Yours,
Miranda.

Australia has been blessed in the past with immigrants to whom coffee is god, and the making of coffee is an art form! When Starbucks opened up here they were driven out of business as Starbucks, and had to refranchise themselves to make a comeback (I think they failed!) - their 'coffee' was considered slop! If the coffee is not good, the vendor will be told about it in no uncertain terms!

I was introduced to the then children's version of coffee (Coffee & Milk, in a tin or tube, like toothpaste) when I was nine - I haven't had a cup of tea since, and I am now retired! I make a mean pot of tea though, as both tea and coffee were consumed in our house, and my aunt, with whom I lived in Sydney for a few years, only drank tea!

Anselmofanzero
Gunner
Germany Germany

Custom Builds on Request

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 11:44:20 pm »

Teein and coffein are basically the same, with one tiny difference as far as I remember...Teein works slower.
Im not a fan of coffee or tea :p so I cant really talk here. Drink coffee for 2 weeks and you believe you need
one in the morning to get going. Not a fan at all.
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 12:36:14 am »

Teein and coffein are basically the same, with one tiny difference as far as I remember...Teein works slower.
Im not a fan of coffee or tea :p so I cant really talk here. Drink coffee for 2 weeks and you believe you need
one in the morning to get going. Not a fan at all.

I agree, Anselmofanzero, my body is a temple, and I would never allow the evils of caffeine to pollute it... Beer and wine though - totally different  Grin.

As for the non-cleaning up of coffee grounds being grounds for divorce - if I actually LIKED my husband I might consider divorce, but if I did that I wouldn't be able to make his life a living hell, so where's the fun in that? Besides, I refuse to leave for less than 5 million dollars, and he says; "I wouldn't leave a woman with that kind of money!", so we are stuck with each other.
Lepidoptera
Gunner

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2019, 08:17:21 am »

I was just picturing the decades of old gunky sewing machine oil and airborne substances that would have accumulated in that old sewing machine over the years. I mainly see those old machines as things to be cleaned and rehabilitated for sewing purposes! What did you use to clean it all out and render it capable of making a potable beverage?
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2019, 04:55:35 pm »

There are one or two members of our local Steampunk group who view the consumption of coffee as a capital offence  Wink. Personally, whilst I prefer tea I do enjoy coffee too - so long as it's a good coffee, and ideally has a measure of something 'spirited' in it...

Yours,
Miranda.

I've always found that a decent coffee must contain, at minimum:

1 shot rum.

1 good spoonful hot chocolate mix.

1 good helping of sugared creamer, preferably a decently flavored one.

Coffee purists argue that my 'coffee' constitutes a war crime. I argue that their lives are bitter and dull.

spunk
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2019, 06:51:58 pm »

I was just picturing the decades of old gunky sewing machine oil and airborne substances that would have accumulated in that old sewing machine over the years. I mainly see those old machines as things to be cleaned and rehabilitated for sewing purposes! What did you use to clean it all out and render it capable of making a potable beverage?

the inside has been removed and cleaned. I used the inside of a drip coffee maker and the water runs through a heat-resistant hose.   
So actually nothing  comes into contact with the inside of the sewing machine

Lepidoptera
Gunner

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2019, 07:06:12 pm »

That's OK then.

Those antique machines are not so rare that it is a travesty to do that project, although some people in sewing machine groups might not see it that way! Smiley Much better than the ones who remove the treadle machine from its base and then "upcycle" the base into a trendy shabby-chic end table or something...
spunk
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2019, 06:02:27 pm »

That's OK then.

Those antique machines are not so rare that it is a travesty to do that project, although some people in sewing machine groups might not see it that way! Smiley Much better than the ones who remove the treadle machine from its base and then "upcycle" the base into a trendy shabby-chic end table or something...

here they have almost no value, I was lucky today I could pick this one up for free!  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: