The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2019, 10:50:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spiritualist Costume  (Read 299 times)
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« on: November 06, 2019, 04:17:01 am »

(pictures to follow; it's late)

Having been inspired by bingewatching the Insidious films (not recommended, they're awful), I have decided to create my first proper steampunk garb, based around the idea of a steampunk spiritualist/occultist/medium.

I'm taking some of my inspiration from this picture from Pathfinder, of their iconic medium character, Erasmus:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Other inspirations are kept on my pinterest board: https://www.pinterest.com/justanothersteampunkcultist/steampunk/steampunk-mediumoccultist/

I currently have a pair of servicable black slacks, a subtley-pinstriped black collarless shirt, a green and black silk brocade waistcoat, and quite a few occult odds-and-ends.

The current line up of occultic doo-dads includes:

A pendulum for pendulum readings,

An old brass bell for exorcisms,

A large (five inch diameter) heavy glass lense from the innards of an old CRT TV, as a 'scrying glass,'

A modified brass pocketwatch posessing various metal gears and such.

I'm planning on cutting out a few planchette blanks from an old cutting board, making the, sizable enough to wear one on my hip, and possibly printing a ouija board onto a large-ish piece of leather, which can be rolled up and kept in a scroll tube.

Other possible future additions include a nice black leather respirator for heavier goth overtones, and a cane.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 04:19:00 am by Kieranfoy » Logged

'Invoked or not, the gods will be present.'

-The Oracle of Delphi
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 02:46:32 pm »

Image dump!

Shirt and waistcoat, spirit glass, pendulum, banishing bell, belt pouch and sample bottles for octoplasm, incense kit. An old cutting board with the planchette shape sketched.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 07:49:46 pm »

Ooh, that's a nice collection of esoteric items - I'm sure they'll come together to make a very impressive outfit!

Yours,
Miranda.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 07:53:05 pm »

Ooh, that's a nice collection of esoteric items - I'm sure they'll come together to make a very impressive outfit!

Yours,
Miranda.

Why, thank you kindly, madame!

I must admit, my collection used to be somewhat more impressive, but it seems I've mislaid much of it. My tarot deck, the dramatic candleholders...

What a loss! What a world!
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 10:03:19 pm »

Octoplasm? Is that ghost kraken slime?

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 10:27:40 pm »

Octoplasm? Is that ghost kraken slime?

Gah. Spelling errors, the bane of my existance.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 10:30:50 pm »

Attempted to cut the first planchette, and... well, lesson learned, never use a chop saw on hard bamboo cutting boards. The thing must have been brittle, the vibrations of the saw caused it to, more-or-less, explode in my hands during the cutting.

Deeply frustrating, as it was nearly complete, and the remaining boards I have are of much softer and less-exotic wood.

Well, next time I'll use the cutting blade of my Dremel tool. Less vibrations, less chance of explosions. Just have to keep a weather eye open for bamboo cutting boards at the thrift store. Matter of fact, next time I'm in a hardware store, those fossilized bamboo floor samples are only a dollar each, and they're about the perfect size iirc...

Having given my old copy of Carnacki a glancethrough, I'm thinking some more high-tech gadgets may be in order. The electric pentacle, although a classic, may seem a bit tacky to modern eyes (I mean, a neon pentagram? How déclassé!) but perhaps an Electro-aetheric Lantern, whose light reveals disturbances in the aetheric currents that emanate from the boundaries between out dimensions and the higher planes?

Maybe gut an old bug zapper, they're basically just UV lanterns with an electrified mesh around them, pull out the guts and ground the wires that led to the mesh, and install said guts into a snazzier shell... I seem to recall they use a slightly different frequency UV than the rave-standard black light, bluer in color, enough to look eerie instead of tacky...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 12:26:34 am by Kieranfoy » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 12:25:52 am »

A complex outfit - looking forward to seeing the whole thing complete!
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 12:27:40 am »

A complex outfit - looking forward to seeing the whole thing complete!

Thank you!

Well, the basic core is mostly there, sans shoes, but it can be elaborated on ad infinitum, so it may never be finished!
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 11:04:02 pm »

Have managed to buy, for quite delightfully cheap, several samples of fossilized bamboo flooring, and will eventually carve a planchette out of one or more.

I have also been ponderig plague doctor mask patterns, and believe I have managed to adapt one to serve as a lower face respirator.

I'll try the pattern out tommorrow. God alone knows how well it will work, but hopefully it will be simpler to put together satisfactorily than the traditional full-face variant.
montysaurus
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 04:36:56 pm »

Tarot cards?
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 12:18:56 am »

Tarot cards?

Had. Lost. Cest la vie.