The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 01, 2020, 02:34:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy Halloween  (Read 856 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: October 31, 2019, 04:54:51 pm »

As Said In The Title.

My plan for the day is to go to the Gallerie De La Capitale’s Mega Parc for the Halloween activities here ( haunt, special movie in the motion theater, last day of the halloween shop in the mall section).

We got some halloween cupcakes for desserts too.

What Your Project ?

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 08:35:16 pm »

Indeed, a very Happy Halloween!

It's the reason I haven't been very active on here for the last couple of weeks - it's been very busy getting things ready for our annual Halloween celebrations. This year to scare the Trick or Treaters, amongst other things we have a sit-up Mummy, anamatronic daemon doll, grim reaper & ghoul and a jabbering skull.

We're also booked on a steam-train Halloween bistro tomorrow night, and for that I'm having another go at a Steampunk'd Bride of Frankenstein. People here may remember I did that a few years ago, but I wasn't happy with the results. I hope this year's version is much better, and I'm really happy with the electrical conductor tiara I've fashioned for it, which I'm imagining is how the Bride was jolted into life. Anyway, when I have a few minutes spare after this week week I'll post up some piccys

Yours,
Miranda
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 08:19:31 am »

Very boring on this side of the pond. We had a very cold snap in weather this whole week staring with cold rain and near freezing temperatures over the first weekend, when most people chose to have Halloween related activities. The week has been hovering at or near freezing, at least with clear skies. But since Tuesday, and apparently through to the second weekend my time is consumed by grueling 12 hour shifts of work due to the Formula 1 races hosted in Austin. Neither do I get to relax this weekend nor watch the races And I may have to work on Sunday, my only day off of the week. No social events on the calendar, even if I managed to not have to work on Sunday.

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 01:09:00 am »

Started off with big plans. Ended up with a plumbing nightmare and muddy trenches down the side of the house. Still, the hazard tape blocking off part of the yard worked well with the halloween decorations for the kids who came door knocking. Dressed as Baron Samedi and managed to startle a few kids (one of which ran off leavin their mum to gather the tithe).

The plumbing problem will still be a few days for the tradies to finish fixing.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 03:46:44 am »

Had a Halloween party with the dulcimer folks the weekend of the 20th, and Halloween  Special Tune Incidents (lol) at the various weekly jam/practice sessions for both the Dulcimer and the Bluegrass folks (Note; the "dark" tunes {such as the various "murder ballads," etc.} this year are apparently somewhat frowned upon, and the ones that reference the "recondine" side of Halloween {meaning the tunes with odd, "haunting" or "mysterious" note phrasings, or lyrics with references to the symbols and mindsets of the season] seem to be ascendant).

Had lots of young spooks this year coming to our door at home, and not near so many highschoolers with big trashbags and no costumes as last year and years before; not sure if ythat reflects a sea change toward a more conscientious communal mindset, or is just the older kids graduating amd moving on and the younger set not yet having learned to be greedy... *shrug*

I do know that a couple of parental pairs (lol) had to be told what a steampunk is and why my brass goggles and plth helmet were steampunk. *sigh* oh, well...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 03:31:07 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 11:18:06 am »

Spent the evening at the local hospital while my husband was undergoing some routine, nasty, but probably Halloween appropriate tests (think 'Alien'), and he certainly didn't feel like doing anything afterwards. But bless the NHS, they gave him the results right away and he only has one new (fairly manageable) condition to add to his collection.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 11:14:04 pm »

Here's my re-worked Steampunk'd Bride on the Halloween bistro train, which was a rather lovely experience - great food in plush vintage surroundings  Smiley.

Very boring on this side of the pond. We had a very cold snap in weather this whole week staring with cold rain and near freezing temperatures over the first weekend, when most people chose to have Halloween related activities. The week has been hovering at or near freezing, at least with clear skies. But since Tuesday, and apparently through to the second weekend my time is consumed by grueling 12 hour shifts of work due to the Formula 1 races hosted in Austin. Neither do I get to relax this weekend nor watch the races And I may have to work on Sunday, my only day off of the week. No social events on the calendar, even if I managed to not have to work on Sunday.

Ouch, that's very bad timing for the Halloween season - I'm really sorry you didn't have the chance to enjoy it.

Started off with big plans. Ended up with a plumbing nightmare and muddy trenches down the side of the house. Still, the hazard tape blocking off part of the yard worked well with the halloween decorations for the kids who came door knocking. Dressed as Baron Samedi and managed to startle a few kids (one of which ran off leavin their mum to gather the tithe).

The plumbing problem will still be a few days for the tradies to finish fixing.

Sorontar

Another case of bad timing! I'm glad it didn't get in the way of your celebrations and giving the neighbourhood children something to remember  Wink.

Had a Halloween party with the dulcimer folks the weekend of the 20th, and Halloween  Special Tune Incidents (lol) at the various weekly jam/practice sessions for both the Dulcimer and the Bluegrass folks (Note; the "dark" tunes {such as the various "murder ballads," etc.} this year are apparently somewhat frowned upon, and the ones that reference the "recondine" side of Halloween {meaning the tunes with odd, "haunting" or "mysterious" note phrasings, or lyrics with references to the symbols and mindsets of the season] seem to be ascendant).

Had lots of young spooks this year coming tio our door at home, and not near so many highschoolers with big trahbags and no costumes as lasyt year and years before; not sure if ythat reflects a sea change toward a more conscoentious communal mindset, or is just the older kids graduating amdmoving on and th younger set not yet having learned to be greedy... *shrug*

I do know that a coupe of parental pairs (lol) had to be told what a steampunk is and why my brass goggles and plth helmet were steampounk. *sigh* oh, well...

It sounds like you had a good time and I'm happy to hear the trick or treaters were rather more civilised this year  Smiley.

Spent the evening at the local hospital while my husband was undergoing some routine, nasty, but probably Halloween appropriate tests (think 'Alien'), and he certainly didn't feel like doing anything afterwards. But bless the NHS, they gave him the results right away and he only has one new (fairly manageable) condition to add to his collection.

I'm really sorry to hear that - I do hope he's feeling more comfortable now.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 11:25:01 pm »

You look lovely, dear Miranda! Bistro Train?

Sadly, there's no much I got from it. Other than a $0.50 mug I found at the supermarket today. Not even getting up early on a Sunday was worth it. I only worked three hours this Sunday, all the F1 staff are gone with the final race and award today or tomorrow.

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 11:44:13 pm »

You look lovely, dear Miranda! Bistro Train?

Thank you  Smiley. It's an evening dining train run on a heritage steam railway in the south-cost seaside town of Swanage. A chance to have a three-course meal in a first-class vintage carriage. Most of the passengers were dressed up too, as were the carriages themselves, which all added to the whole experience. I'm hoping this will become a fixture of our annual Halloween celebrations.

Yours,
Miranda.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 01:52:34 am »

Had a Halloween party with the dulcimer folks the weekend of the 20th, and Halloween  Special Tune Incidents (lol) at the various weekly jam/practice sessions for both the Dulcimer and the Bluegrass folks

Tied in with the FoTMD bunch, MW?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 03:28:32 am »

Had a Halloween party with the dulcimer folks the weekend of the 20th, and Halloween  Special Tune Incidents (lol) at the various weekly jam/practice sessions for both the Dulcimer and the Bluegrass folks

Had to look that up, Banfili. No, it's just the local club, North Harris County Dulcimer Society and the good people at the Forum and Copperfield Jammers  groups.

The bluegrassers are mostly part of the local Bluegrass organization, which calls itself the Bay Area Bluegrass Assocuiation (BABA), and Bluegrass Knights.

Incidentally...
Yesterday, (Saturday, November 2, 2019), elements of both the dulcimer and the bluegrass organizations performed at different times at the Yearly Digging Old Stuff festival at the Kleb Woods Nature Preserve outside  Tomball, Texas, so I was able to perform with both on banjo, fiddle, harmonica, fife and Celtic flute (though not all at once, LOL). Also let some cub scouts try out my fiddle (under my close supervision, of course!). Some showed real aptitude.

Sorry, my camera's batteries died, and no body else thought to bring one, so as far as I know at the moment, no video is available.

I may have to take a gander at FoTMD, maybe join. We'll see...

Come to think of it, I think a couple or few of the Copperfield bunch are already members...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 03:34:51 am by MWBailey » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 11:06:41 am »

Had a Halloween party with the dulcimer folks the weekend of the 20th, and Halloween  Special Tune Incidents (lol) at the various weekly jam/practice sessions for both the Dulcimer and the Bluegrass folks

Had to look that up, Banfili. No, it's just the local club, North Harris County Dulcimer Society and the good people at the Forum and Copperfield Jammers  groups.

The bluegrassers are mostly part of the local Bluegrass organization, which calls itself the Bay Area Bluegrass Assocuiation (BABA), and Bluegrass Knights.

Incidentally...
Yesterday, (Saturday, November 2, 2019), elements of both the dulcimer and the bluegrass organizations performed at different times at the Yearly Digging Old Stuff festival at the Kleb Woods Nature Preserve outside  Tomball, Texas, so I was able to perform with both on banjo, fiddle, harmonica, fife and Celtic flute (though not all at once, LOL). Also let some cub scouts try out my fiddle (under my close supervision, of course!). Some showed real aptitude.

Sorry, my camera's batteries died, and no body else thought to bring one, so as far as I know at the moment, no video is available.

I may have to take a gander at FoTMD, maybe join. We'll see...

Come to think of it, I think a couple or few of the Copperfield bunch are already members...

I've been a member for a few years, not because of the dulcimers, but because they have a Strumstick page, & I have some of those, both bought & self-made! & they have music transcription and TAB pages!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: