The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2019, 08:49:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The First Essex Monorail.  (Read 205 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« on: October 09, 2019, 08:33:28 pm »

The First Essex Monorail

The completion of the main-line railway between London and Shoeburyness virtually marked the beginning of the "overspill age" in the south-east corner of the county. The new line encouraged businesses and work-people to escape from the sprawl that was fast becoming London and helped in an in- expensive way to bring the city into easier and closer contact with the countryside and the sea.

At the turn of the century many enterprising speculators were investing in the numerous new developments taking shape in this part of Essex. One of these was a gentleman by the name of Frederick Hester. Conscious of "London's teeming and toiling millions" who had been awakened to the possibility of "a holiday by the sea," he envisaged supplying "murky London with yet another lung." In brief, he proposed transforming Canvey Island into a premier holiday resort.
(c) Frank Whitnall '66 & Canvey Island. Org

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 05:37:18 pm »

The First Essex Monorail

The completion of the main-line railway between London and Shoeburyness virtually marked the beginning of the "overspill age" in the south-east corner of the county. The new line encouraged businesses and work-people to escape from the sprawl that was fast becoming London and helped in an in- expensive way to bring the city into easier and closer contact with the countryside and the sea.

At the turn of the century many enterprising speculators were investing in the numerous new developments taking shape in this part of Essex. One of these was a gentleman by the name of Frederick Hester. Conscious of "London's teeming and toiling millions" who had been awakened to the possibility of "a holiday by the sea," he envisaged supplying "murky London with yet another lung." In brief, he proposed transforming Canvey Island into a premier holiday resort.
(c) Frank Whitnall '66 & Canvey Island. Org

I'm imagining all the passengers crowding to the left side of the car to look at something…

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: