The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2019, 10:50:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So many leagues under the sea its actually...  (Read 356 times)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« on: September 25, 2019, 06:43:24 pm »

My beloved boyfriend has made an observation about Jules Verne's work.
His musings were as follows:

Conversion
1 nautical league = 5.556 km = 3.45234 miles

20000 leagues = 111120 Km

The diameter of Earth = 12742 km.

(111120 - 12742)km = 98378km

The distance from Earth to the moon is 363194km at perigee  and 405696km at apogee, therefore the average is 384400km.

At average;

(384400 - 98378)km = 286022km

Therefore we can conclude, that the novel “20000 leagues under the Sea” should take place about a quarter of the distance between the Earth and the Moon

Thus, it is a novel about Space Exploration.

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
RT Livingstone
Gunner
United States United States

malarkey!

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 08:53:55 pm »

That would work except, the title refers to the distance traveled while under the sea and not to a depth. The greatest depth mentioned in the book is four leagues. This is more easily understood by the actual title of the book, which, by literal translation, should say “Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas” (not “Sea”)

copied from Wiki so it must be true
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 10:12:08 pm »

That would work except, the title refers to the distance traveled while under the sea and not to a depth. The greatest depth mentioned in the book is four leagues. This is more easily understood by the actual title of the book, which, by literal translation, should say “Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas” (not “Sea”)

That's a lot less fun
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 12:27:47 am »

That's a lot less fun

How true is that! Space exploration should be more fun, but, considering some of the stuff floating around in the ocean depths, you just never know! Grin Grin
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 04:12:05 am »

and something I had never considered.   I like the way your guy thinks.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 04:16:50 pm »

My beloved boyfriend wants me to counter this with if that's the distance traveller that's about 3 times around the earth. Which is still incredible
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 12:51:05 am »

My beloved boyfriend wants me to counter this with if that's the distance traveller that's about 3 times around the earth. Which is still incredible

It is a grand distance, & your boyfriend should be commended!
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 02:37:20 pm »

Given the prescience of Mr Verne, now I'm wondering if our current nuclear boats have any published distance records?

And trying to resist the urge to find the cruising speed of the Nautilus to do some travel time calculations...

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: