The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 19, 2020, 09:58:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Beautifull World Of Victorian Fairy Painting  (Read 1152 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: September 24, 2019, 06:51:38 pm »

Not Steampunk But Definitely Of Steampunk Interest:
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.pinterest.com/amp/laurairrgang/victorian-fairy-painting/

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Melrose
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 06:19:46 am »

We gave my daughter several of the "Flower Fairy" books when she was young, but I have to say I assumed they were older than they actually were.
I think the best fairy art has an other-worldly look (some can be found on the link in the original post), Brian Froud's modern "Labyrinth" goblins for example.  A lot can be downright creepy. Richard Dadd's work, for instance.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 01:34:19 pm »

I used to get similar themed items for my older daughter. Calenders, sky dancer toys, pictures etc. She loved them
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 09:46:12 pm »

Just today I bought a bunch of Soviet children's picture books. The series was produced by Gosznak. They printed money, documents and books like this.

In particular, there were reprints of books with illustrations by the artist Bilibin, which were first printed in 1899 to 1902 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Bilibin

But not only that.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Astalo
Zeppelin Captain
Finland Finland

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 12:29:39 pm »

I'm also a fan of Ivan Bilibin and i have finnish language versions of two of his fairytale books. (Printed in 1977)

Taikalinnun sulka / The Tale of Ivan the Tsar's Son, The Firebird and the Grey Wolf
Sammakkoprinsessa / The Frog Princess

His art style is very close to art nouveau.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 09:18:55 pm »

Yes. The tale of Ivan Tsarevich has already been, but the child still does not know how to handle books carefully.

Now there is a spare book Smiley

Russian artists of that time actively participated in the pan-European artistic process.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: