The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2019, 11:52:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jimmy Peters: England's first black rugby union international.  (Read 81 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« on: September 24, 2019, 05:20:45 am »

Jimmy Peters: England's first black rugby union international.

From his father being mauled to death by a lion, to his abandonment, to representing his country and then ultimately being banned by his sport, the life of Jimmy Peters was nothing short of remarkable.

As the first black man to play rugby union for England, between 1906 and 1908, he was a pioneer.

But Peters - known as "Darkie" by followers of the game in what were less enlightened times - was hardly a trailblazer. It was 80 years before a black player would wear the red rose again.

How did the son of a Jamaican circus showman overcome tragedy, disadvantage and prejudice to became the only black player in the first 117 years of England's international rugby union history?
(C) BBC.'19

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: