The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2019, 10:49:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mashers and Robbers, Beware of the Deadly Hatpin  (Read 278 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: September 21, 2019, 03:41:01 pm »

Something to consider when you are creating a female character or costume:

https://curiosity.com/topics/heres-why-men-feared-a-woman-with-a-hatpin-in-the-early-1900s-curiosity?utm_source=social&utm_medium=atlasobscura&utm_campaign=partner&fbclid=IwAR3GgRsDuj89ChSSo8eH71W3e_0_0WHzJig1-tc6VQd73stL_u22aaiDaHs
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 01:55:13 am »

Something to consider when you are creating a female character or costume

Especially in a front on defence - who would want a hatpin through the eye!
Walking sticks are handy, too - especially the European style ( which I use most of the time), because the slightly rounded pointy end that faces to the front can play havoc with the knee joints!
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 02:27:41 pm »

Walking sticks are handy, too - especially the European style ( which I use most of the time), because the slightly rounded pointy end that faces to the front can play havoc with the knee joints!

My father had a walking stick with a pointed end, obviously intended for 'rough' walking, (as he relied on it for support he put a rubber ferrule on it to prevent it slipping on normal pavement).  Bet that would make any would be assailants hop if you put it on the top of their foot and leant on it ….

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 03:11:05 pm »

My father had a walking stick with a pointed end, obviously intended for 'rough' walking, (as he relied on it for support he put a rubber ferrule on it to prevent it slipping on normal pavement).  Bet that would make any would be assailants hop if you put it on the top of their foot and leant on it ….

My dad said a girl should know how to defend herself, so he taught me how. He had done a commando survival course in India during WWII. He said to forget the subtleties - ye can't afford to be squeamish when ye are defending y'rself! The moves stay in y'r muscle memory, like riding a bike or swimming, and all these years later I still know how to do some very nasty things! The walking stick is a help in that regard!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: