The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 21, 2019, 07:35:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Photos Please!- a Hednesford #1 Shop Minuet  (Read 376 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« on: August 04, 2019, 09:50:56 am »

The problem: the WMSA's annual picnic in the Botanical Gardens (a fixture in the social calendar) looked like it was going to be gatecrashed by a group of photographers.  Without so much as a 'would you mind if', or please, or thankyou, they just presumed to turn up and treat us like zoo animals, there only for their own gratification. 

This, plainly, Would Not Do. 

So, whilst there was much animated discussion ongoing via our usual channels, Hednesford #1 Shop was diverted from its usual output and- placed on a war footing, I suppose you could say. 

Time was tight as although the picnic is still a few weeks away the Works are only active on weekends. 

Design constraints were considered. Whatever was made had to be easily transportable- small, and lightweight.  It had to comply with my self-imposed limitation of being a purely defensive measure.  It had to be an elegant solution to the problem. 

So I thought to myself, what is it photographers are always after?  A good photograph.  And how do they do this?  They take lots (and lots and lots) of almost identical photographs.  From previous experience we know a simple 'no thank you' or 'I don't want to' does not deter them.  Nor does a mere sign. 

No, what we need is something so effective at destroying opportunity for a good photograph that they simply give up.  Something that so utterly ruins any and all half-decent opportunities as to completely waste their time. 

The most effective way to do this though?  What is it that gives a photograph an identity?  The face of the sitter! 

So, I give you....

I like to think of this as an anti-togger Ayrton fan.  It measures approximately 16.5cm x 16.5cm and, once the handhold is fitted, can be easily and effortlessly wafted in front of the face. 

The board is made up of strips of 8mm balsa wood with a backbrace, painted with acyrlic to give a modicum of weather protection.  The dowel for the handhold is about the only part I've only had to buy especially for the build, at about £2.50. 

Just keep it to hand and when you see a togger doing their paparazzi thing- you can ruin their photo quicker than they can press the shutter!  Or even just idly carry it around so it appears somewhere in shot all the time.   

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 07:59:15 am »

Excellent solution.

Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 12:28:11 pm »

Bravo Sir Grin

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 06:55:41 pm »

We're not done yet!  Some dowel has arrived.  More white and red paint needs to be applied.  If it's not finished this weekend it won't be ready for the picnic.  No pressure then. 
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 04:07:59 am »

That should work, but perhaps if you had more time, folding fans or parasols with the same logo would be a more elegant solution?

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 09:48:07 am »

Yes, that could be the redux version for the next time the Paps try it on.   
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 07:28:54 pm »

i believe there is such thing as right of portrait that makes it illegal to make recognisable pictures of people without their consent but i might be wrong. your solution is great.

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 07:03:16 pm »

I guess we'll find out on Saturday just how effective it is (if any paps turn up, after much indignant protest they cancelled their 'flash' mobbing of our picnic). 

I really like the folding fan idea for a follow-up. 
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 01:23:15 am »

Ah My Dear Monsiuer Harrison -

I too, am displeased with the paparazzi photo bombers....

Soooooo

since you have already placed yourself "on war footing" As a dedicated right-wing-liberal-anarchist 'murican ,
I would like to offer some suggestions, along the line of the 1941 "lend-lease act"  :-)

What IF you were to have one or two designated Bobbies wandering about
What IF the Bobbies were to wear Very Large NO PHOTOS badges
What IF the Bobbies were equipped with very bright portable strobe lamps and aimed them at photogs violating the rules?

I was, for a short time, doing part  wedding photography. One problem we often had was relatives trying to
to horn in on the photo shoot with their instamatics, which actually not only interfered with set-up and poses,
but also ruined shots with overexposure from their flash bulbs. To combat this, those who refused to comply
with the polite request were "flash-bombed" by an assistant with a Very Large And Powerful potato masher style
photostrobe with a shoulder-carry battery pack. After a few strobes, they got the message and deceased.
If they still tried to take photos during the shoot, the miscreants pictures were badly overexposed.

After the scheduled shoot, they were free to take as many pics as they wanted.... so if they followed the rules
all was well in the garden....

good luck , godspeed, sayonara, and etc
hth
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 10:13:41 am »

Prof Marvel: "....they got the message and deceased..."

That seems a bit harsh, you could have just flashed until they simply desisted or ceased, not actually died....   Shocked
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 07:56:01 pm »

Ah My Dear Monsiuer Harrison -

I too, am displeased with the paparazzi photo bombers....

Soooooo

since you have already placed yourself "on war footing" As a dedicated right-wing-liberal-anarchist 'murican ,
I would like to offer some suggestions, along the line of the 1941 "lend-lease act"  :-)

What IF you were to have one or two designated Bobbies wandering about
What IF the Bobbies were to wear Very Large NO PHOTOS badges
What IF the Bobbies were equipped with very bright portable strobe lamps and aimed them at photogs violating the rules?

I was, for a short time, doing part  wedding photography. One problem we often had was relatives trying to
to horn in on the photo shoot with their instamatics, which actually not only interfered with set-up and poses,
but also ruined shots with overexposure from their flash bulbs. To combat this, those who refused to comply
with the polite request were "flash-bombed" by an assistant with a Very Large And Powerful potato masher style
photostrobe with a shoulder-carry battery pack. After a few strobes, they got the message and deceased.
If they still tried to take photos during the shoot, the miscreants pictures were badly overexposed.

After the scheduled shoot, they were free to take as many pics as they wanted.... so if they followed the rules
all was well in the garden....

good luck , godspeed, sayonara, and etc
hth
prof marvel

Discreet laser pointers would be a good move for more 'offensive measures'.  But no, I don't actually want them dead, just want them to respect boundaries....
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 06:19:52 am »

Ohhh

Oops

Yhs
Prof marvel
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 02:52:14 pm »

i believe there is such thing as right of portrait that makes it illegal to make recognisable pictures of people without their consent but i might be wrong. your solution is great.

There is nothing to stop anyone taking photographs of you in a public place, unless the photo's are 'indecent'; the photographer can subsequently sell, print them etc again without your specific permission (some stock shot agencies/publications may prefer a signed release but it's by no means essential).  Of course if it's on private property you need permission to take the photo, from the property owner .... but this doesn't mean you necessarily need permission from those you photograph too!  More or less the same for video when the camera is hand held.

There are a few different rules if the photographs could be used to aid terrorism in any way ....... no, I don't think that applies to steampunk picnics either!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 05:31:49 pm »

There is something to be said about photographers just assuming they can turn up to a private event (and let it be pointed out the Botanical Gardens are private property), gatecrash and snap away.  You wouldn't do it at a wedding, for instance. 

Now if they ask if we mind if they take a photo, that's different.  Sniping away though, or doing as this group tried, isn't on and should be challenged when seen. 

The fan, today, did it's job. 
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 07:50:59 pm »

There is something to be said about photographers just assuming they can turn up to a private event (and let it be pointed out the Botanical Gardens are private property), gatecrash and snap away.  You wouldn't do it at a wedding, for instance. 

Now if they ask if we mind if they take a photo, that's different.  Sniping away though, or doing as this group tried, isn't on and should be challenged when seen. 

The fan, today, did it's job. 

Oh yes, it's the worst of bad manners I totally agree. Your solution was particularly elegant and I'm so glad it was effective and trust you all had a splendid time.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 08:23:02 am »

There is nothing to stop anyone taking photographs of you in a public place, unless the photo's are 'indecent'; the photographer can subsequently sell, print them etc again without your specific permission (some stock shot agencies/publications may prefer a signed release but it's by no means essential).  Of course if it's on private property you need permission to take the photo, from the property owner .... but this doesn't mean you necessarily need permission from those you photograph too!  More or less the same for video when the camera is hand held.

There are a few different rules if the photographs could be used to aid terrorism in any way ....... no, I don't think that applies to steampunk picnics either!

Fascinating. Different laws on this side. A private group in a public place still has rights , and photos cannot be used for commercial purposes without getting signed releases. Even stronger privacy rights in Germany. That’s why you see so many blurred faces on tv and especially of people on google street views. ... in fact I contacted google to have street views of my entire street and several others in my immediate area removed or blurred. They were quite cooperative , altho I did invoke the “national security “ gambit citing “persons and officers with government clearances” ....

Oh, I would go easy with any laser pointers... over here protesters and prankster have been aiming them at LEO s and aircraft. They get charged with assault on an officer, and criminal disruption of an aircraft. Flashes, tho, even bright 1000 lumen flashlights are another matter!
“Officer arrest that woman! She shined a flashlight on me in broad daylight!”

Yhs
Prof Marvel
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2019, 09:48:51 am »

Yeah, laser pointers would need to be used with a bit of common sense and responsibilty.

Regretably, some 'attacks' still got through*.

*These of course being attempted by fellow members of the WMSA.  We had great fun with this. 
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2019, 10:25:50 am »

Ah Well, I would then highly recommend Role Play:

recreate the Tea Party scene where Eden Pedecaris is entertaining Sir Joseph, and they are rudely interrupted by Morrocon Photographers:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/bpRdAbCqRCY

"Get Down Eden!"

yhs
Prof Marvel
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2019, 12:04:20 pm »

There's a lot in the news at the moment about facial recognition software, particularly with regard to the many CCTV cameras we have in this country; so, with politicians knee-jerk reactions to what's in the media, I expect they will be talking about altering the law any day now!
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 07:40:16 pm »

Good work.

If I may suggest a slight modification. Replace the dowel handle with a Poundland selfie stick, that way the sign is collapsible to drop into your bag (or picnic hamper).

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2019, 07:58:40 pm »

The dowel is currently just a push-fit, I have a few ideas how it might be made further collapsible (maybe a screw thread?).
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2019, 10:52:20 pm »

The dowel is currently just a push-fit, I have a few ideas how it might be made further collapsible (maybe a screw thread?).

for future events....

one might consider folding fans! They are incredibly useful in the heat and fold to a small package

images linked from e-how, youtoob, etc fair use & etc

there are designs with fewer sticks

and designs that are all sticks

here is a utoob of artists making them traditionally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhgttuoimvA

For your purposes, I would suggest these, using the printed "no photo " design for one side:
one could glue a beautiful scene on one side, and the "No Photos" on the other!

here is a traditional howto utoob
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3vfVXnMbPI

here are a couple howtos showing how easy it is to make some types "nontradionally"

https://www.ehow.com/how_4449525_make-japanese-fans.html

https://www.instructables.com/id/Beautiful-and-Easy-Japanese-Fan-for-Kids/

just like there is a "language of flowers" there is an entire "language of the fan" and "fan games"
and even the use of fans in self defense, In Japan they carried fans with iron ribs to deflect
swords (open or clesed) and to thrust with when closed. This allowed a defensive device even
when forced to be unarmed for ceremonies, etc

Example: "Statue of Kato Kiyomasa holding a war fan made of iron, bamboo and lacquer depicting the sun. "

Example" "A war fan is a fan designed for use in warfare. A number of war fans were used by the Samurai of feudal Japan. They varied in size, materials, shape and use.

"One particularly famous legend involving war fans concerns a direct confrontation between Takeda Shingen and Uesugi Kenshin at the fourth battle of Kawanakajima. Kenshin burst into Shingen’s command tent on horseback, having broken through his entire army, and attacked; his sword was deflected by Shingen’s war fan. It is not clear whether Shingen parried with a tessen, a dansen uchiwa, or some other form of fan. Nevertheless, it was quite rare for commanders to fight directly, and especially for a general to defend himself so effectively when taken so off-guard."

And the Chinese have "Mulan Quan" TaiChi (yes the disney flick is based on the historical/mythical  character /event)

hope this helps
prof marvel
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 04:17:21 pm »

Fascinating; putting the design onto a fan is one refinement that's under consideration.  A war fan would tie in quite nicely with the parallels I drew on the day between 'the bloke with the sign' and WWII convoy protection techniques.  Unless there are multiple people with fans patrolling up and down at speed it's likely a few snipers will get in; not really helped by the tendency of the group to become a labour in herding cats. 
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2019, 07:04:54 am »

Fascinating; putting the design onto a fan is one refinement that's under consideration.  A war fan would tie in quite nicely with the parallels I drew on the day between 'the bloke with the sign' and WWII convoy protection techniques.  Unless there are multiple people with fans patrolling up and down at speed it's likely a few snipers will get in; not really helped by the tendency of the group to become a labour in herding cats. 

Hmmmm. 
Additional arms:   
  Paintball guns using disappearing ink?
  Water filled supersoakers. 
        Post signs: “warning : cooling squads for your safety during the heatwave.
                         Do not enter unless willing to get wet”

Yes officer that person was clearly overheating and irrational!
I cooled them down for their own safety
See here is our laminated first aid instructions!

Yhs
Prof marvel

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: