The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 21, 2019, 07:13:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moonlight Tower  (Read 185 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: August 01, 2019, 01:54:39 am »

Must Be Very Eye Hurting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonlight_tower

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Anselmofanzero
Gunner
Germany Germany

Custom Builds on Request

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 12:54:12 pm »

Am I the only one who was hoping to see moonlightlaserturrets now??
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 02:42:47 am »

Am I the only one who was hoping to see moonlightlaserturrets now??

If only they shone with a true moonlight light and not a 'you can see every detail of the pitcher scratching his crotch' brilliance...
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 06:00:47 am »

Austin, Texas, is the only city in the world known to still have moonlight towers. They are 165 feet (50 m) tall with foundations 15 feet (4.6 m) wide. The towers were manufactured in Indiana by Fort Wayne Electric Company and assembled on site.[1] In 1894, the City of Austin purchased 31 used towers from Detroit. A single tower cast light from six carbon arc lamps, illuminating a 1,500 feet (460 m) radius circle brightly enough to read a watch.[2

I knew I had seen one before. To be honest I only have seen one of them. They're simply not that visible amongst all the other lights at night.

I've seen one near the college area downtown, in a late 19th C area known as Hyde Park. As the name implies, it's and area around a city park with a very grungy vibe to it. Lots of hipster homes built in the 1940s, and some few Victorian Era homes in a densely wooded urban area.

The moon tower is very close to the park itself probably illuminating the golf course. It should be visible from anywhere in the Hyde Park neighborhood. But you'd never notice it at night with all the trees and lights from restaurants and bars in the area unless someone pointed at it. It'd be interesting to go to the university and ask students at random if they've ever seen a moon tower, or even know we have some in Austin.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: