The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 21, 2019, 07:00:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CRAZY HISTORY: every building in chicago was literally jacked up in the 1850s  (Read 148 times)
newjack
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: July 26, 2019, 01:04:35 am »

in my recent research into history and technology, i was re-acquainted with "the raising of chicago" which blew my mind in social studies and still does to this day.

chicago was a filthy disease ridden city in the 1800s. it was decided that the city needed a sewage system, but it was on low lying ground that prevented building a properly angled system that would drain. instead of digging tunnels for the system, it was decided to simply jack every mega ton building up and fill in under the buildings! it just doesn't seem like it would work. how are you going to jack heavy butt brick & stone buildings without destroying their fragile, easily cracked foundations?!!! tunneling seems safer and easier, but they went with jacking the buildings up and IT WORKED!

if that's not steampunk mad genius, i don't know what is. i would have NEVER come up with that solution and still would fight for tunnels. even trying to balance each jack... buildings are big and heavy. a simple vein of a different soil type under the jacks might result in sagging with so much weight bearing down on concentrated points.

my mind boggles fellow brass goggles
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 01:53:48 am »

Most buildings, in them days, were timber. In Australia they built fancy facades at the front well after the timber building was built, when/if the business did well and they could afford it. Then later again the back of the building was rebuilt in a 'more sturdy' building material. Often the timber facade was a model of what the building was going to be when it would be built 'properly'. Take a look at the building at;408 warrenheip street Buninyong VIC 3357, on Google street view. Looks impressive, don't it? Big stone pillars and brick... Well, every bit of that front facade is timber.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 05:41:24 pm »

Twenty years later, Chicago had a great fire that destroyed nearly everything. Post-fire building codes required everything to be brick or stone. Try lifting that city.
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 09:41:59 pm »

They also reversed the flow of of the Chicago River

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/episode-86-reversal-of-fortune/

If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 07:48:12 pm »

Millions of gallons a day go out that river for over a century, and the level of Lake Michigan is unaffected.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: