The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 21, 2019, 05:54:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moscow Supermarket in Lush Czar-Era Palace (Photo)  (Read 481 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: June 14, 2019, 10:09:20 pm »

Image:

Article:
https://thatswhatshehad.com/eliseevsky-store-moscow/

I'd shop there.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 10:17:09 pm »

Alright! Now that is a supermarket! Beats my local shop by a great deal.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 08:50:36 am »

Now that is a supermarket!
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 04:37:43 pm »

What a place to do your shopping - it would be so hard to focus on shopping & I doubt I would do much more than stare at the architecture!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 03:44:16 am »

What a place to do your shopping - it would be so hard to focus on shopping & I doubt I would do much more than stare at the architecture!

Sure beats Countdown  for aesthetics
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 07:18:22 am »

Sure beats Countdown  for aesthetics

HaHa!
I guess the reason for the lack of aesthetics in modern supermarkets is to make people focus on the food, not the surroundings - only makes me want to get out of there more quickly!
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 11:56:45 am »

Is it in your countries at this time, at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, did not build the luxury shopping?

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 05:40:58 pm »

Is it in your countries at this time, at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, did not build the luxury shopping?

At that time, American and European cities were building elaborate multi-story department stores with lush decoration.

But the Russian store in the article was not originally built to be a store.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 09:30:29 pm »

Yes, originally the building was not created for the store Eliseev

But it was reconstructed for this store for three years and made huge changes. The interior was re-created.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 02:24:15 am »

At the turn of the 19th century Sydney was a, to be truthful, a  pretty squalid penal colony! By mid-century things were a bit more organised and there were multi-storey luxury Victorian Era shopping 'arcades' in the state capital cities, like Sydney and Melbourne - the Queen Victoria building in Sydney, for example, but they were not supermarkets, just individual shops. I didn't see the QV building (or any other building more than two storeys for that matter) until I was in my teens, up visiting the 'big city'!

The major department stores were built as department stores - no palaces to convert in a (former) penal colony! - but we did have, and still do have, some impressive public buildings for the time. The lovely public buildings were primarily convict built, and many were designed by former convict Francis Greenway. Old Sydney was situated on and built from a major sandstone plateau. Sydney sandstone is still used to build with, although the quarries are slightly further away now!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:32:21 am by Banfili » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: