The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 27, 2019, 10:31:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what's steampunk without quack medicine?  (Read 194 times)
newjack
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: June 01, 2019, 09:35:50 pm »

as far as i know, no one's made that connection yet.

between wild west "medicine shows" with con artists hawking miracle tonics and even up to the early 1900s, people still drinking radioactive cure-alls and mercury etc., such quakery BELONGS in steampunk stories
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 01:19:23 am »

I don't think it's fair to say that no one one has made the connection. Quite the contrary, it gets spoken about frequently at the Anatomical section, especially regarding Victorian Era food and drinks (eg Pemberton's French Wine Coca (nerve tonic) as thepprecursor to Coca Cola and Dr. Kellogg's yoghurt enemas, which thankfully were never adopted as part of a healthy breakfast as well as his corn flakes did!)

You also need to read our musings on the medical treatment of the mysterious ailment known as "Hysteria" in afflicted Victorian women. Actually, we've held contests for the fabrication of the best *ahem* Steampunk Hysteria Prophylactic Device. I also recommend the comedic movie "The Road to Wellville," starring Anthony Hopkins and Matthew Broderick (1994).

Not at all, Mr. Newjack, I'm afraid you have been misinformed. We love our quackery at Brassgoggles.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 01:33:00 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

newjack
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 11:29:28 pm »

well i haven't seen it in any steampunk movies. i have no interest whatsoever in biology, so i'll not be visiting that sub-forum. as far as science goes, i'm into astrononomy, technology, engineering and evolution.

steampunk is far from my favorite genre. i HATE the pretentious victorian era very much. i'm a sci-fi fan and only watch steampunk when i've run out of anything new to watch. i've never read  a steampunk novel and unless one has virtually nothing to do with royalty (i hate that even more than the victorian era), ornate guilded architecture and the other trappings of "nobility". low tech in alternate timelines, like the airship battles in "last exile" are more my thing, but that anime too puked royalty & pomp when it got into politics. i just tuned those bits out. my idea of seampunk is more like the reboot of 1984... functional aesthetics.

i'm much more into space craft, aliens, robots & time travel (NOT the time machine... either version)

regarding the discussion of quackery...
i stand corrected. it has been discussed here.

thanks for pointing my ignorance out

i didn't mean that sarcastically. being proven wrong means it won't happen next time.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 07:42:19 pm »

as far as i know, no one's made that connection yet.

There is a magician who has appeared at steampunk conventions who does a very funny medicine pitch for a product called "electrified oil", and sells souvenir bottles of the medicine at the shows, so, yes, someone has made the connection.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 05:38:32 pm »

well i haven't seen it in any steampunk movies. i have no interest whatsoever in biology, so i'll not be visiting that sub-forum. as far as science goes, i'm into astrononomy, technology, engineering and evolution.

steampunk is far from my favorite genre. i HATE the pretentious victorian era very much. i'm a sci-fi fan and only watch steampunk when i've run out of anything new to watch. i've never read  a steampunk novel and unless one has virtually nothing to do with royalty (i hate that even more than the victorian era), ornate guilded architecture and the other trappings of "nobility". low tech in alternate timelines, like the airship battles in "last exile" are more my thing, but that anime too puked royalty & pomp when it got into politics. i just tuned those bits out. my idea of seampunk is more like the reboot of 1984... functional aesthetics.

i'm much more into space craft, aliens, robots & time travel (NOT the time machine... either version)

i didn't mean that sarcastically. being proven wrong means it won't happen next time.

I hate to say this, but I don't think you like steampunk.  Maybe you like the way a couple things look, but judging by your comment here and the one on "can steampunk be dirty" you've made statements of dislike against attributes common to many artifacts of steampunk.

In point of fact, you cite liking The Last Exile.  Which per a prior discussion with Chicar, we all learned that has more in common with Diesel Punk.

Not that you're in the wrong place, but have you considered the possibility that you might be a DieselPunk?
newjack
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 11:53:22 pm »

i DESPISE subgenres! don't get me started on techno. i will NOT be embracing the word "dieselpunk". if science fiction relies on defunct technologies... it's steampunik as far as i'm concerned... 1984? steampunk. metoroporisu... steampunk. i look to INCLUDE things into genres... not exclude them. i will argue to the death with anyone that superheroes, fantasy & religion are ALL subgenres of science fiction because they fictionalize science. my mind works the opposite of rigid thinkers. zathura & the iron giant? they're steampunk to me.

you're correct too in that steampunk isn't my favorite genre. i've ALWAYS found the victorian era, royalty, fancy castles, and gold guilding etc. to be painfully pretentious. "my kind of steampunk" is pure funtionality & minimalism. my general "distaste" for the genre probably comes from watching all of the ORIGINAL steampunk movies: the time machine, the first men in the moon, 20,000 leagues under the sea, the assisanation bureau, & the great race etc. to me, it wasn't "real" science fiction... with space ships, robots and aliens etc. my preference for sci-fi is definitely modernist leaning... blade runner, battle angel, appleseed 2004, & even ghostbusters etc.

that doesn't mean i ignore steampunk. i managed to stay awake (barely) watching steamboy, actually liked the golden compass (even if it did that annoying ornate thing) which i used to own along with the elephant man, spirited away, dark city, the time machine ('02), monarch of the moon, & sky captain and the world of tomorrow (my "ideal" kind of "funtional tech" steampunk).

no-one asked for my 2 cents to come up with "diesel punk". this old dog ain't learnin' that new trick.

oh... i really liked "frankenstein: the true story" when it aired in the 70s. THAT was steampunk without all the pretentious foofoo nonsense. get rid of the trappings of snotty royalty... and my acceptance of steampunk increases greatly... it even annoyed me in both versions of dune, which is set for another reboot. sadly... i'm sure it's going to have fancy palaces... *puke*
newjack
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 11:58:40 pm »

see? all that, and i forgot WHY i came here... to expand on the "hysteria" thing...

actually, i just learned about that recently, looking "weird & obscure" history up. it was because treating patients manually that the vibrator was invented as a time saver

along similar lines... victorian w omen weren't always as prim & proper as you think... they used to have, shall we call them "self help parties"  where the women treated themselves for their hysteria

some women too used to enjoy the frictions created from pumping their sewing machine treadles with their feet.

hmmm... such trivia is only useless until you find the right place to share it.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 10:50:50 pm »

I hate to say this, but I don't think you like steampunk.  Maybe you like the way a couple things look, but judging by your comment here and the one on "can steampunk be dirty" you've made statements of dislike against attributes common to many artifacts of steampunk.

In point of fact, you cite liking The Last Exile.  Which per a prior discussion with Chicar, we all learned that has more in common with Diesel Punk.

Not that you're in the wrong place, but have you considered the possibility that you might be a DieselPunk?

Yeah but this is the eternal conflict of Steampunk. It gathered so many subcultures under one roof in the early 2000,  that there are many interpretations for it, the Survivalist Postapocalyptic version of it perhaps being the most common branch of the movement that conflicts with the 19th century aesthetic.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 11:07:42 pm »

no-one asked for my 2 cents to come up with "diesel punk". this old dog ain't learnin' that new trick.

... get rid of the trappings of snotty royalty... and my acceptance of steampunk increases greatly...

Dieselpunk isn't that new, but that aside, there is no rule that says you have to *like * a subject in order to participate in a discussion about it or appreciate it intellectually. I'm a fan of a couple of medieval authors of music in both laic and religious types of music, and I spent a great deal of time studying and listening to medieval music as part of college music appreciation courses, but I really don't like to listen to that music genre too often. I will find myself struggling to stay for a whole concert in the rare occasion I ever attend one, but I like the historical aspect of music, and I can engage in conversation about it.

Baroque music is another subject like that, some of it I like, and some I find so dreary. I love Vivaldi and get horribly bored with Bach, for example. But I can't question Bach's genius and prolific work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: