The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 17, 2019, 09:45:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ~ {{ The Roasted Foods from Around the World thread }} ~  (Read 308 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« on: May 14, 2019, 12:43:06 am »

Why not?? The weather is turning warmer in the Northern Hemisphere, and as Spring rolls by, ideal weather beckons you to the outdoors. Ancient cooking techniques are awakened once again. I think we already beat the Fried Food subject to death by now. And what else could make you happier than pit-roasted meat, Roated Barbecue (yes, not all Barbecue is grilled). or Shawarma/Al-Pastor??  

Roasting meat is defined as using dry heat to somehow envelop a piece of meat, without directly heating by contact (i.e. on a hot plate or pan). Usually what is cooked is red meat and something large which requires some turning or rotating to cook the meat evenly (though it may not necessarily be red meat  or large - it could be something as small as seafood skewers or roasted vegetables). The rotating or flipping allows gravity to baste the meat with its own fat which itself may be burning or charring, with or without sauces, bringing a unique flavour to meat.

Seriously, this is a thread for meat lovers. If you don't like meat, then tune out of this channel, because as soon as I press the "Post" button you're going to smell charred meat.

And so I kick off this thread with a Northern Mexican tradition of whole slow-roasted split kid (baby goat, A/K/A Cabrito), basically the Lebanese-Mexican "Al-Pastor"s big brother (obviously the rotisserie is not quite vertical as that is impossible). Instead the whole animal is placed upright at an angle skewered on a "pit" which is traditionally placed above the ground beside a buried bed of coals. More modern versions have the coals placed in some sort of specially made tub.

Gringos vs Comida Norteña (El Rey del Cabrito) // con subtítulos

Since I know most countries have some sort of roasting tradition, I'd like to see what your suggestions are for a roasted-meat feast.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 12:45:33 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 03:35:23 am »

Mmm   the above sounds good. Add to it  roasted kumara [ sweet potato].  Roast vege  are delicious.  I sometimes make a meal of roast vege
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 02:49:22 pm »

Pig-on-a-spit, sweet potato, potato & any other veg you can think of!
Spuds & pumpkin wrapped in foil and roasted in a campfire, meat with the spuds & pumpkin - roast pork! followed by damper with butter & cocky's joy!
Have been known to roast/bake a pan of veg myself, Hurricane - yum!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 05:16:53 pm »

Vertical rotisserie used for roasting shawarma (doner kebab) and gyro meat. Possibly invented in Turkey approximately a century ago.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 08:46:47 pm »

In the Southern United States we have a preference for hot-smoking brisket. Hot-smoking also qualifies as roasting, because the primary method of preparation is cooking by way of indirect heat.

While the exact definition of Brisket varies from country to country, the "primal cut" involves the superficial and deep pectoral muscles on the front end of the animal (applies to both beef or veal). Brisket is one of the basic types of meats found in American Barbecue.

"The Science of Smoked Brisket" by George Motz

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 11:30:56 pm »

Brisket is can also be prepared as pastrami.

I forget the exact complicated procedure for making it, but ultimately it is slow roasted in an oven. If I recall correctly, it was brought to America by Polish Jews, and in the old country, the cooking method was used to prepare duck.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 11:43:58 pm »

Brisket is can also be prepared as pastrami.

I forget the exact complicated procedure for making it, but ultimately it is slow roasted in an oven. If I recall correctly, it was brought to America by Polish Jews, and in the old country, the cooking method was used to prepare duck.

It involves 5 major steps: Brining, Drying, Rubbing with Spices, Smoking and then Steaming!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: