Author Topic: The Brassgoggles Model Making Club (the second non-SP model making thread).  (Read 47350 times)

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
Re: The Brassgoggles Model Making Club (the second non-SP model making thread).
« Reply #600 on: January 26, 2022, 04:07:55 pm »
Green Tich, overhaul.

Just wanted to replace the glands.
The the inspection began and revealed more issues.
There was this noise. klonk, klonk, klonk, one klonk per revolution. The pump eccentric caught on the brake bar one per revolution. Fixed.
The brakes would not come off, because part of the linkage fouled a water pipe. Fixed
Brakes would not come on as the bell-crank was not fixed to the shaft. Fixed.
Ratchet lubricator drive was not working because the rod was not free to move. An elbowed rod should have been used but there was a straight one mounted diagonally underneath, rubbing against many other parts. Ended up with a new rod elbowed in three places.
Suddenly the left side was in mid gear but the right side in full forward. Another loose bell-crank. I used spring dowel pins. Also put one on the other side, just in case...
One return crank was not completely put so I had to drive the pin out, take it off, clean everything and apply a bit of loctite before reassembly.
Was quite difficult to get the screws back into the expansion links (the way the nut is outside).
The axle bearing holders were held by a variety of screws: hex head, slot head,..
Two were broken off and had to be drilled out and re tapped.
So far for now.
Next task is to put up the 3.5" test track in the garden and take her for a run.
First test on compressed air was promising.

Bell crank treatment is also on the plan for the red Tich.
But it will not be as easy as with the green one.
The shaft is made out of a strange kind of metal. The drill bit gets shorter but hardly goes in.
Maybe I have to replace the shafts.

I know what it's like. You start out wanting to replace a light bulb, and the next thing you know you're trying to invent fire…
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

James Harrison

• Immortal
  • Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences
« Reply #601 on: January 26, 2022, 06:52:40 pm »
Well it seems I find myself on the horns of a dilemma. With the turning of the year I've embarked upon a new lifestyle regime in the hope that (amongst other things) my modelling mojo (and hopefully my finances) will be less subject to my whims and or passing flights of fancy. This has led to some serious considerations for Dukeswood (although the final form depends on when and where I eventually establish my permanent lair I mean home) and as such my thoughts have turned to what I want to include and the space I should need. Now, one item I definitely want to feature is 2 intermediate stations and so I've been considering the necessary buildings for said stations. I happen to have one of the kits Mr Harrison used for his own station of Creamoor for Pittance (which I built years ago with more enthusiasm than actual skill) and given it's approximation of a GCR station could perhaps be rehabilitated, however I am considering the potential merit of trying to polish that particular turd versus using my now more developed skills to modify one of these wills kits.

https://peco-uk.com/collections/4mm-oo/products/country-station-with-platform

I would be... hesitant, about using that particular kit.  It's got very much the character of a station building you'd expect to see in the south east.  The biggest issue on a first glance is the pantiling, but I suspect even if you change that you're still going to struggle to make it resemble something the Midland (or MSLR) would have built in the Nottinghamshire/ Yorkshire area.  Naturally though, your railway, your rules (mindful that my own main station is going to be a heavily re-worked American kit).

Wirksworth (Wirksworth branch)

Shottle (Wirksworth branch)

Lowdham (Nottingham- Lincoln)

Southwell (Fiskerton- Mansfield)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 06:56:27 pm by James Harrison »
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

James Harrison

• Immortal
« Reply #602 on: January 26, 2022, 06:55:02 pm »
Green Tich, overhaul.

Just wanted to replace the glands.
The the inspection began and revealed more issues.
There was this noise. klonk, klonk, klonk, one klonk per revolution. The pump eccentric caught on the brake bar one per revolution. Fixed.
The brakes would not come off, because part of the linkage fouled a water pipe. Fixed
Brakes would not come on as the bell-crank was not fixed to the shaft. Fixed.
Ratchet lubricator drive was not working because the rod was not free to move. An elbowed rod should have been used but there was a straight one mounted diagonally underneath, rubbing against many other parts. Ended up with a new rod elbowed in three places.
Suddenly the left side was in mid gear but the right side in full forward. Another loose bell-crank. I used spring dowel pins. Also put one on the other side, just in case...
One return crank was not completely put so I had to drive the pin out, take it off, clean everything and apply a bit of loctite before reassembly.
Was quite difficult to get the screws back into the expansion links (the way the nut is outside).
The axle bearing holders were held by a variety of screws: hex head, slot head,..
Two were broken off and had to be drilled out and re tapped.
So far for now.
Next task is to put up the 3.5" test track in the garden and take her for a run.
First test on compressed air was promising.

Bell crank treatment is also on the plan for the red Tich.
But it will not be as easy as with the green one.
The shaft is made out of a strange kind of metal. The drill bit gets shorter but hardly goes in.
Maybe I have to replace the shafts.

And thus does a 5-minute task become a full strip down and rebuild.

Madasasteamfish

• A clanger waiting to be dropped......
  • Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #603 on: January 27, 2022, 11:21:59 am »
Well it seems I find myself on the horns of a dilemma. With the turning of the year I've embarked upon a new lifestyle regime in the hope that (amongst other things) my modelling mojo (and hopefully my finances) will be less subject to my whims and or passing flights of fancy. This has led to some serious considerations for Dukeswood (although the final form depends on when and where I eventually establish my permanent lair I mean home) and as such my thoughts have turned to what I want to include and the space I should need. Now, one item I definitely want to feature is 2 intermediate stations and so I've been considering the necessary buildings for said stations. I happen to have one of the kits Mr Harrison used for his own station of Creamoor for Pittance (which I built years ago with more enthusiasm than actual skill) and given it's approximation of a GCR station could perhaps be rehabilitated, however I am considering the potential merit of trying to polish that particular turd versus using my now more developed skills to modify one of these wills kits.

I would be... hesitant, about using that particular kit.  It's got very much the character of a station building you'd expect to see in the south east.  The biggest issue on a first glance is the pantiling, but I suspect even if you change that you're still going to struggle to make it resemble something the Midland (or MSLR) would have built in the Nottinghamshire/ Yorkshire area.  Naturally though, your railway, your rules (mindful that my own main station is going to be a heavily re-worked American kit).

Interesting, expecially since these are the station buildings I'm using as protype

I take your point about the lack of similarity to the double pavilion style but without investing in some architectural skills kit bashing maybe my best option.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 01:26:26 pm by Madasasteamfish »
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

The Bullet

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #604 on: January 27, 2022, 12:58:37 pm »
Pinned the bell cranks on the red Tich.

Murphy paid a visit.
Drilling four means that the first three will go well.
Then there was number four:
1.5mm drill was just breaking through at the other end.
Then it broke off, almost flush with the surface.
As it was completely seized and withstood the test of clamping it in the vice and using bruteforce(TM) to try and move the crank I just poured some loctite into the hole and filed the ends flush with the surface.

The Smokebox door dart of my Bavarian steam loco has been fitted in the same way about 15 years ago and has never become loose.

Sound module of class 132 is back from the manufacturer. The spook had been caused by a malfunctioning EPROM (Gremlins maybe).

Quite a number of things ready for a test. Still waiting for good weather.
If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

James Harrison

• Immortal
« Reply #605 on: January 27, 2022, 06:43:50 pm »

I would be... hesitant, about using that particular kit.  It's got very much the character of a station building you'd expect to see in the south east.  The biggest issue on a first glance is the pantiling, but I suspect even if you change that you're still going to struggle to make it resemble something the Midland (or MSLR) would have built in the Nottinghamshire/ Yorkshire area.  Naturally though, your railway, your rules (mindful that my own main station is going to be a heavily re-worked American kit).

Interesting, expecially since these are the station buildings I'm using as protype

I take your point about the lack of similarity to the double pavilion style but without investing in some architectural skills kit bashing maybe my best option.

Ah; it's an MSLR/ GCR station you're looking to model?  I thought (for some reason) it was a Midland prototype you were after.   You could use that then, because the MSLR/ GCR had a real mish-mash of architectural styles prior to the 1870s and quite a few of those stations survived.

Madasasteamfish

• Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #606 on: January 28, 2022, 07:23:23 am »

Ah; it's an MSLR/ GCR station you're looking to model?  I thought (for some reason) it was a Midland prototype you were after.   You could use that then, because the MSLR/ GCR had a real mish-mash of architectural styles prior to the 1870s and quite a few of those stations survived.

Understandable since in the fictional history I've dreamt up for Dukeswood, due to uncooperative landowners working together to pit the two companies against one another the MS&L and Midland's directors were forced to grit their teeth and build a joint line. So the buildings are probably going to be a hybrid/mixture of both companies styles.

The Bullet

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #607 on: January 30, 2022, 10:06:25 am »
Understandable since in the fictional history I've dreamt up for Dukeswood, due to uncooperative landowners working together to pit the two companies against one another the MS&L and Midland's directors were forced to grit their teeth and build a joint line. So the buildings are probably going to be a hybrid/mixture of both companies styles.

Your line, your rules. Sounds like a plausible backstory to me.
So you can use both styes separately or mixed in one building.

I have just dug up some "spares" for a 3.5" driving truck.
-two 3.5" bogies
-an american flat wagon body (rarther suited to 5" gauge
-a box seat that had been used on another wagon but found unsuitable.

Also put up the 3.5" tracks in the garden.
Which TICH will go first? Which will actually run?

Madasasteamfish

• Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #608 on: January 31, 2022, 05:05:58 pm »
Productive few days this weekend. I've done some work with my micro and also worked on my applying transfers to my MidlandCompound and my 4F.

I've also primed my V3 but am waiting on obtaining some appropriate paint before I continue with that one. Next on the block is either more stuff to do with my micro (which requires some more track) or my other K3 kit, which will require some v thoughts about livery options.

James Harrison

• Immortal
« Reply #609 on: January 31, 2022, 08:51:41 pm »
Nice work.

James Harrison

• Immortal
« Reply #610 on: February 01, 2022, 07:06:26 pm »
Ermmmmm....

... we can add a WWI battlecruiser to my fleet.

Lutzow is on its way.

The Bullet

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #611 on: February 01, 2022, 08:12:38 pm »
Latest project is almost finished: A Tgpps twin hopper grain wagon.
Welded up from lasercut 3mm steel sheet.

The secret is inside:
The roof sections can be lifted off. Front bunker contains charcoal, rear bunker has the barbecue set:

So when the railway session gets a bit longer (as it usually does), just fire up the barbecue.

Prof Marvel

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Above All Else, Do No Harm
    • Spare Goggles
« Reply #612 on: February 01, 2022, 09:54:43 pm »
My Dear Bullet
That is just amazing!
Prf marvel
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

James Harrison

• Immortal
« Reply #613 on: February 02, 2022, 07:00:13 pm »
Quite literally, meals on wheels. 

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #614 on: February 03, 2022, 12:31:22 am »
So instead of asking for "medium rare", you would ask for "one circuit round the track"... That's very funny, and quite inventive!

The Bullet

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #615 on: February 04, 2022, 08:21:06 pm »
So instead of asking for "medium rare", you would ask for "one circuit round the track"... That's very funny, and quite inventive!

And after finishing the meat we could throw a few potatoes wrapped in tin foil onto the coal, close the lid, take another few laps and have a dessert.

After that we can move the wagon onto the pit, flip the grate and use the remaining burning charcoal to light up the next steam loco.

I have spent a bit of time on another wreck from the back shelf:
An Einco/Lindale Sam 0-4-0T

I have no idea when and from where I got this one.
The wheels and rods had become brittle and crumbled to bits.

One cylinder is working, the other is a dummy. Some old gauge 1 Wheelsets were adapted to O-gauge (or better SM32).

I made new rods from brass, put new wicks into the burner, freed up the seized piston rod,....

Maybe I can have a test under her own steam this weekend.

Strange: this loco has the normal regulator and an exhaust steam regulator as well.
Restricting the exhaust steam should keep the loco from running away when going downhill.

I am curious to see if that works.

The Bullet

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #616 on: February 05, 2022, 12:41:17 pm »
Success!

First test run on the blocks went ok.
The filler plug of the lubricator needs a new seal.

The Bullet

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #617 on: February 06, 2022, 12:22:58 pm »
Test run completed.
She ran about half an hour on the 0-gauge circle in the workshop.
Everything works as intended.
With the new seal the oiler also does its job.
Another project finished.

Madasasteamfish

• Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #618 on: February 06, 2022, 01:50:11 pm »
Well, things are developing, with some of the first passenger rolling stock acquired specifically for one of my longer Dukeswood trains with this set of 2 Mk 1 corridor coaches and a Gresley brake composite.

I've also (in the course of flicking through a local history volume on the local coal industry) found a couple of possible future projects.

First, is this little colliery shunter which I think I could use with a few condemned wagons and a low relief coke oven or similar help hide the scenic break for the colliery spur fiddleyard(s). There is a suitable kit available for this exact loco design, however, atm I'm tempted to go for either rebranding a Hornby Peckett or a Dapol (old Airfix Kitmaster) pug if I don't care about it being able to move.

The other is this rather wonderful looking Victorian private loco

I've not really looked into this, but I suspect it could be done as a nice static display piece in G or 5in scale.

James Harrison

• Immortal
« Reply #619 on: February 07, 2022, 06:19:42 pm »
Either of those would be a pretty little thing. 

For myself- today the flotte de combat took delivery of SMS Lutzow....

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d6/L%C3%BCtzow1916.png/1920px-L%C3%BCtzow1916.png

In my opinion the finest-looking WWI battlecruiser, HMS Tiger and SMS Hindenburg possibly excepted. 

Madasasteamfish

• Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #620 on: February 15, 2022, 10:18:05 am »
Well developments have continued with the latest additions to my reference library

I'm off to drool over all these wonderful pictures of *dirty* greasy heavy freight locos and check out my ideas for train formations.

The Bullet

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #621 on: February 17, 2022, 05:56:41 pm »
Red Tich: valve gear re-set. After pinning the motion there was no play left, causing the valve to travel too far in one direction. Fixed.
Green Tich: Axle pump was not the problem. The bypass valve would not shut so the water went back into the tank.
Time for a new valve.
The regulator also needs looking at. After firing up I had 6 bars on the clock, put her in gear and...off she went....with the regulator fully closed!
With me on the driving truck there was no movement until I opened up but this needs to be investigated.

Always put her in mid-gear before leaving the footplate.

Driving truck keeps derailing. Time ti get the plasma cutter out, take it apart and start from square one.

O-Gauge: I now have a complete rake on Märklin Rheingold coaches. Pics to follow.

James Harrison

• Immortal
« Reply #622 on: February 28, 2022, 07:04:05 pm »
Right, goal for the year.  Get Phase 1 of RLS definitively off the ground.  Basically this boils down to

1) Clearing at least one end of the railway room so I have somewhere to build it;
2) Construction of baseboards
3) Fitting the photoplank into those baseboards
4) Extending the scenery and trackwork out

I'm not saying we'll be welcoming the first train this year but it should give me something a bit more permanent and impressive than a 3' length of track sitting forelornly in a corner of the room.

The Bullet

• Snr. Officer
Just had a successful run with red TICH.
Valve gear setting works.
Now I just have to put new gaskets under the steamchest covers.
I re-used the old ones just in case I had to do more work on the slide valves.

TIGER has a broken bolt deep inside the motion.
As the boiler has to come off in order to get at it I will take the opportunity to file down the gabs as the loco is hard to reverse.

Barbecue wagon has been thoroughly tested last Saturday. Even thick steaks were no problem.

BTW: Does anyone know a supplier for 3/16" x 40 grub screws. I only need 4.

The Bullet

• Snr. Officer
Barbecue grain hopper wagon had a test run at a meeting yesterday.

After a bit of running I parked the train in a siding that is not directly visible from the main line and fired up the barbecue.
A friend took a seat on the wagon behind the barbecue wagon and put the sausages on.
I went back to my driving truck and drove onto the mainline and into the main station.

You should have seen the faces of the other folks.....

Still some detailing to do on the roof and loading doors.
So if the trip takes a little longer or the line is blocked, no problem.