The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 29, 2022, 12:05:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Brassgoggles Model Making Club (the second non-SP model making thread).  (Read 40721 times)
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #575 on: October 24, 2021, 12:15:41 am »

I've been thinking of doing some sort of model making, using a lot of the same techniques and possibly scales as some model making... only I'd like to do them as isometric forms. with a textured and dimensional construction (stone and wood floors, doors and windows, stairs, etc.  all isometic so they could essentially tile onto a wall or something like that. It probably sounds stupid but I'm curios enough to try it.

I've also debated about making things like making model rugs with some experiemental flocking ideas.

Keep us updated - you never know until you try!

The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #576 on: October 27, 2021, 08:53:44 pm »

Finally!

Here she is!

Latest addition to the 5" gauge fleet:

East German class 132 (later renumbered to 232 as unified Germany hat the first digit 2 for diesels).
Massive 2.13 metres long (over buffers).
Each of the three cooling fans in the roof has a separate geared motor.
They are all rotating at different speeds.
Sound module has original recordings.

Power? Don´t ask. More than enough.
Weight? waaay more than 100 kg, so good traction is assured.

I patched up the electrics so I can run her for the rest of this season.
In winter I will replace the wiring completely.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Master Tinkerer
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #577 on: October 27, 2021, 09:59:02 pm »

That's impressive. The first photo makes it look like a 12"-scale unit.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #578 on: October 28, 2021, 05:23:42 pm »

I thought someone had gone on a shed visit at first.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #579 on: October 31, 2021, 10:24:10 am »

Open day at a friend´s layout:

Red giant (class 132) on the turntable.

Gently pushing TIGER into the steaming bay.

"I do not brake for a KÖF"

KÖF is a family of small four-wheeled diesel shunters. In 5" gauge they have no power or traction and hold up the traffic frequently.
So they are the target of many jokes.

Now the big one will move into the shop to have a complete overhaul and the electrics will be removed completely and re-done.

TIGER ran ok but the exhaust needs tuning. Draughting is poor. (teething trouble)

Minx has a clanking big end. The split bearing must be replaced.

Was a great show to pull the class 132 including train up the gradient with the Minx.
As she has more power than traction she was prone to slipping on the wet rails but I managed.
With about 3 bars of steamchest pressure and the big smokebox the exhaust beats were pretty loud.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 09:55:14 pm by The Bullet » Logged
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #580 on: October 31, 2021, 05:16:22 pm »

Faint of shock, but I've actually doen something.  My get up and go for modelmaking has taken extended leave of absence this year and last and I regret to report that at present it shows no sign of coming back any time soon.  I guess between the house and work and wanting at least a little time to myself without an obligation to actually do anything then something had to give. 

Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #581 on: November 04, 2021, 10:43:53 pm »

Flicking through the latest periodical i can across an advertisement for this rather handsome looking loco

https://railsofsheffield.com/collections/rails-exclusive/products/robinson-a5-gcr-class-9n-4-6-2-tank-locomotive-in-gcr-great-central-green-no-371

And I'm tempted to see about acquiring one for Dukeswood and or (since it's a bit of a waste to have a loco and nothing for it to pull) an excuse to order a set of Hattons 4&6 wheeled coaches which are to be released in GCR livery sometime next year...

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #582 on: November 06, 2021, 11:01:18 am »

I've got one on order (but I'm guessing that was a given anyway  Cheesy )

And I'm tempted to see about acquiring one for Dukeswood and or (since it's a bit of a waste to have a loco and nothing for it to pull) an excuse to order a set of Hattons 4&6 wheeled coaches which are to be released in GCR livery sometime next year...

These engines came into service in 1911 (hence their nickname of 'Coronation Tanks').  The Hattons GCR carriages are in the 1897 - 1903 livery, so unlikely they'd have been seen together.  Your railway, your rules of course, but personally I've ordered the GNR liveried carriages and will be darkening that teak livery and changing the insignia to suit.   
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #583 on: November 06, 2021, 12:09:57 pm »

I've got one on order (but I'm guessing that was a given anyway  Cheesy )

These engines came into service in 1911 (hence their nickname of 'Coronation Tanks').  The Hattons GCR carriages are in the 1897 - 1903 livery, so unlikely they'd have been seen together.  Your railway, your rules of course, but personally I've ordered the GNR liveried carriages and will be darkening that teak livery and changing the insignia to suit.   

Well, that's a fair point. I may have to do some more research, or adjust the livery.

I suppose at least 8 years is a little too long to get away with just weathering the French Grey livery....
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #584 on: November 10, 2021, 09:56:46 pm »

Class 132: Electric overhaul finished.

It took two of us to lift even one bogie.....

To Do:
Cab detailing (I have one driving desk, need to make a second one for the other cab.
Seats, Driver and 3d printed brake valves are already here.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #585 on: November 15, 2021, 06:53:46 pm »

Had the Minx in the workshop today.

Knocking LH big end: fixed
The plate holding the split bearing in place (where the prototype would have a wedged cotter) had been lost.
Made and fitted a new part.

Lubricator: fixed.
One pawl was worn on one side so it did not engage properly.
I adjusted the other pawl as well and filed the ratchet wheel as some teeth were quite worn.

Lubricator drive: fixed
One pin had been lost to the forked end of the drive rod was moving up and down.

Talked to Steve (owner of 4QD), and received the necessary information for a cable to link the two locos for double-heading.
Imagine Taigatrommel (1.65m over buffers) and class 132 (2.13m over buffers) double-heading....
Both are equipped with sound modules (using original recordings).

I just have to find a suitable train.

The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #586 on: November 21, 2021, 01:10:17 pm »

It works!

Finished the cable according to the hints given by Steve at 4QD.

The master loco is controlled by its handset. The slave loco acts the same as the master.
The cable has a few switches inside the plug housings.
These operate headlights and taillights as well as the sound module of the slave loco.
The other Plug housing has a switch that can invert the direction signal if the locos are running back to back.
Tested it yesterday. Everything works as intended. (That´s strange).

BTW: Where is everyone? It has become pretty silent here......
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #587 on: November 21, 2021, 04:40:52 pm »

Well, despite promising myself to focus on building up rolling stock, I have acquired several more loco kits, specifically:
A V1/3 tank
Another K3
And finally a B17

I'm looking forward to the tank as a nice diversion as the loco for a local passenger service.

But also, the V1/3 and B17 kits both come with engineering drawings so I'm going to enjoy drooling over them...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #588 on: November 21, 2021, 06:06:42 pm »

Fantastic!

Myself?  Agincourt is very slowly progressing (I can only spare a half hour or so on a Sunday afternoon, so aside from painting the hull bottom and filling some gaps there's not mcuh to show there, yet) and- remember this from about four years and a thread ago:

the Derfflinger class is my favourite of the lot

Well I can't get the Hindenburg, which would have been my first choice, but somebody is obligingly tooling up for Derfflinger and Lutzow, full hull, in 1/700 scale.  So guess what I have on preorder....

The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #589 on: December 16, 2021, 09:42:27 am »

*dusts off the desk*

Spent the whole day in the workshop yesterday.

Tiger now has footplate handrails (soldered brass) and tender footsteps:

Waiting for the postman to bring the 0.5 mm brass sheet for the firebox wrapper corners.
These will be the finals bits.

Still thinking about a suitable driving truck.
Bogies would suit the out of scale driver, but not the era.
I have a small four-wheeled 5 Plank. This one should do.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #590 on: December 19, 2021, 06:41:32 pm »

For the first time in.... ages... I've actually done a bit of locomotive modelling. 

This is what I want to build.  It's a Parker 2-4-2 suburban tank engine, and the reason I've chosen this specific member of it class is because it was the last of them to have a round top boiler (which lasted until 1925 or 26) but also had Ross Pop safety valves, which were only fitted from about 1910 or so onward, and had a short coal bunker.

Reason why I want this decidedly atypical member of the class? Because the closest proprietary model you can get is a very similar engine which was built by a neighbouring railway, and the arrangement of the mdoel you can get for that also has a round top boiler, Ross Pop safety valves, and a short coal bunker.

(Photograph shamelessly lifted from one of several model railway shop websites- I'm not going to name them here but if you want one you need only google 'Bachmann LYR tank' or words to that effect).

So conversion from that model of a typical member of its class to this specific engine that I want to build, is (on the face of it) quite a simple affair.  There is more to it than just a repaint and a new number, and I'll be going into that, but this is probably the simplest way of getting a model I want from what's available.

Work to be undertaken:
1) Bunker needs to be lengthened by 2mm;
2) Cab needs to be widened (in fact just easier to build a whole new cab);
3) Handrail, numberplate and clips need to be removed from the smokebox door, rivets to the smokebox front need to be smoothed off;
4) Boiler handrails need to be replaced;
5) Tank front handrails to be replaced with footholds;
6) A lot of the tank top detail needs to be replaced;
7) Repaint. 

So first thing was to take the model apart, not entirely, just enough to get the bunker and the cab roof off. 

The cab is too narrow and can be discarded, mine will probably end up in the spares box once it has donated its whistle to the new engine. 

With the bunker now easily accessible I was able to remove the coal rails and sand down the back face of it.

The bunker needs to be lengthened by 2mm, so out came some 0.5mm plastic sheet and and I made a fillet of plastic 2mm thick and glued that to the bunker, then sanded and smoothed it down.  Helps to make this slightly oversize and then cut it back flush to the bunker sides and top once fitted.

And a bit of fiddly ticklish work with sandpaper and files to remove the unwanted details to the smokebox and smokebox door. 

On the face of it, I could now just build a new cab and call it a day but there are of course other smaller details that need addressing.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #591 on: December 20, 2021, 06:02:23 pm »

Next bit. 

Traced the new cabsheets from a published drawing, then glued my templates down onto some 0.5mm plastic sheet.  I could do these using my silhouette cutter, but that means somehow scanning drawing into the computer (bit difficult when you don't have a scanner), then scaling it correctly and then tracing over it.  What you gain in time spent actually cutting you lose in having to deal with computer issues. 

Very carefully sanded off the tank filler caps, then fabricted some new ones in plastic sheet.  They're bulkier, and in a different location. 

Fitted new footholds (in plastic sheet) to the front of the sidetanks. 
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #592 on: January 20, 2022, 08:23:45 pm »

A fair few things to report on from here in N Wales.

I've managed to get the kits for my 2nd fowler 4f and V3 built

Now they just need painting and their liveries applied.

And in the course of my research for Dukeswood I think I may be able to justify a monster loco or two in the form of the LNER's U1 and or the MR's Wath Banker ('Big Bertha')
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #593 on: January 22, 2022, 11:43:37 am »

Quite a lot got done in the interruption, most of the heavy work on my 2-4-2 tank had been documented before that though.  So....

Here she is, (not quite) steam up and ready for the road.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #594 on: January 23, 2022, 01:06:06 pm »

Found another 3.5" Tich.
My red one is big boiler, slip-eccentric.

New arrival is green, small boiler, Walschaert.
Needed a general overhaul.
Came to me with the last fire still in it.
Smokebox full, tubes blocked,...
Whistle was missing. Whistle valve was seized.
There must be an error in the matrix as I found the required parts in no time.
Even the soldering operation went without mishap.
Now I am waiting for an hour without rain to test her on the rolling road.

Red one needs work again as one of the *beeeeep* Bell cranks has come loose again.
I might run them as a double-header, just need a long shovel to reach over one to feed the other.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #595 on: January 23, 2022, 02:10:57 pm »

I dug out my other 2-4-2 tank engine (having done one, I may as well get the other out the way).  Big difference with this one is that it has a completely different firebox, so I'll need to cut up some of the boiler barrel. 
Also, it appears this particular engine was fitted up (right at the very end of my modelling period) for push-pull working.  And I've got drawings for a Great Central autotrain.  Red rag, bull, mission creep ensues on this project...
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #596 on: January 23, 2022, 04:45:53 pm »

Both Tich-es sitting on the 5" gauge flat wagon:

Work continues on the 5" gauge Barbecue wagon.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #597 on: January 24, 2022, 01:54:03 am »

I'm sort of inspired - going to get another Viking longship kit & build that. Have a friend mad-keen on Vikings, and their ships, so I thought a longship might make a good birthday present!
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #598 on: January 26, 2022, 02:31:14 pm »

Well it seems I find myself on the horns of a dilemma. With the turning of the year I've embarked upon a new lifestyle regime in the hope that (amongst other things) my modelling mojo (and hopefully my finances) will be less subject to my whims and or passing flights of fancy. This has led to some serious considerations for Dukeswood (although the final form depends on when and where I eventually establish my permanent lair I mean home) and as such my thoughts have turned to what I want to include and the space I should need. Now, one item I definitely want to feature is 2 intermediate stations and so I've been considering the necessary buildings for said stations. I happen to have one of the kits Mr Harrison used for his own station of Creamoor for Pittance (which I built years ago with more enthusiasm than actual skill) and given it's approximation of a GCR station could perhaps be rehabilitated, however I am considering the potential merit of trying to polish that particular turd versus using my now more developed skills to modify one of these wills kits.

https://peco-uk.com/collections/4mm-oo/products/country-station-with-platform
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #599 on: January 26, 2022, 03:18:28 pm »

Green Tich, overhaul.

Just wanted to replace the glands.
The the inspection began and revealed more issues.
There was this noise. klonk, klonk, klonk, one klonk per revolution. The pump eccentric caught on the brake bar one per revolution. Fixed.
The brakes would not come off, because part of the linkage fouled a water pipe. Fixed
Brakes would not come on as the bell-crank was not fixed to the shaft. Fixed.
Ratchet lubricator drive was not working because the rod was not free to move. An elbowed rod should have been used but there was a straight one mounted diagonally underneath, rubbing against many other parts. Ended up with a new rod elbowed in three places.
Suddenly the left side was in mid gear but the right side in full forward. Another loose bell-crank. I used spring dowel pins. Also put one on the other side, just in case...
One return crank was not completely put so I had to drive the pin out, take it off, clean everything and apply a bit of loctite before reassembly.
Was quite difficult to get the screws back into the expansion links (the way the nut is outside).
The axle bearing holders were held by a variety of screws: hex head, slot head,..
Two were broken off and had to be drilled out and re tapped.
So far for now.
Next task is to put up the 3.5" test track in the garden and take her for a run.
First test on compressed air was promising.

Bell crank treatment is also on the plan for the red Tich.
But it will not be as easy as with the green one.
The shaft is made out of a strange kind of metal. The drill bit gets shorter but hardly goes in.
Maybe I have to replace the shafts.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: