The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 06, 2021, 12:05:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Brassgoggles Model Making Club (the second non-SP model making thread).  (Read 27056 times)
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #475 on: January 29, 2021, 08:36:51 pm »

Sounds good!
Waiting, agog!
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #476 on: January 30, 2021, 10:46:39 am »

New addition to the fleet (or rarther....workshop)

Homemade 4-6-2 loco, O-gauge. Pretty close to a Märklin HR66.

Some small bits are missing, the ears (smoke deflectors) have come off, motor and gearbox seized, wiring needs to be completely replaced.
Another fun project.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #477 on: January 30, 2021, 10:58:30 am »

Nice find!

I'm still here- the house is taking priority at the moment though.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #478 on: January 31, 2021, 12:28:10 pm »

This one has been made by someone whon knows what he is doing.
Even the huge motor is homemade.
Brass gearbox, 7 to 1 ratio.
Flexible shaft coupling between motor and gearbox.
Will take a while to get it running properly.
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #479 on: January 31, 2021, 09:26:09 pm »

@The Bullet..... OK, totally off-topic, but I can't stand the suspense any longer.....why have you got all those electronic boat anchors (the ones stacked behind the engine)?
I recognize some of that stuff from my Navy days (and we won't even mention how long ago that was).  
Nostalgia? Are you repairing them for maybe resale?
Or do you just need a lot of boat anchors? Many of the smaller, heavier pieces can also be used as door-stops.  Wink
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 09:48:19 pm by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #480 on: February 01, 2021, 06:18:09 pm »

@deimos
These are not anchors. That is my lab.
Many of those beauties have been saved from scrap during my apprenticeship and time at university.
Everything you see there is still in use (almost daily).
I might not need that many scopes or a third desktop multimeter just because it has Nixie tubes.....but I have.

Why old stuff? Was cheap to get, some have been built during my apprenticeship.
I even wound the transformer for my soldering station by hand.
And the old ones can be repaired without a microscope.
Schematics available, off the shelf components....

And: one button, one function.
I really hate these digital thingies where one button has five layers of functions.
If you can use an old device, you can work with a new one.
But if you just plug up the new one, press "autoset" and it still shows nothing useful....you´re lost.
During my apprenticeship we were forbidden to use that button.

If something better comes along, bits get replaced.
During the last two months two colleagues received a 25 MHz scope each, one got a 60V 12 amp power supply,
What I get for free, I pass on for free.

The lab is one part. I also have
6 Tesla coils
1 Ruhmkorff machine
2 Wimshurst machines
2 van der Graaf generators (one about waist-high)
2 Jacobs Ladders

and some other high-voltage toys.

Electrical Engineer.....what else?
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #481 on: February 01, 2021, 07:13:58 pm »

@deimos
These are not anchors. That is my lab.

Electrical Engineer.....what else?

I hope you know I was not being seriously critical. I have known not a few people who have similar (and still functional) equipment.

For almost 15 years I worked with a somewhat eccentric Elec engineer who had stacks of vintage equipment in his garage.
His surname was Zierold. His father started this company...maybe you've heard of it: ZERO  

Also, saw this link on an antique radio forum  (which is where I also saw the boat anchor reference): Vintage test Equipment
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 07:35:52 pm by Deimos » Logged
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #482 on: February 04, 2021, 01:39:29 pm »

Well, I mentioned that the gears in my head have been turning, and I suppose I should share what all that grist to the mill has produced.

A while ago I raised the possibility of drawing up a plan to model part of the former Great Central Sheffield-Lincoln line based on my childhood living in the area, the major considerations of which was how much of the line I wanted to recreate, and just how much modeller's licence to invoke (mainly a question of whether I wanted to run my own timetable on a prototypical trackplan, and how much compression could be realistically be accomplished to make it fit in a reasonable amount of space given the number of spurs, private sidings and colliery branch lines).

Now, my considerations have begun to bear fruit, in I that have a long term plan (akin to Mr Harrison's RLS) formed for a sizeable end-to-end layout (the actual dimensions will depend on the space I ultimately have to devote to it) loosely based on the line between Sheffield Victoria and Worksop which I have decided to name Dukeswood. My plan is to create an former Great Central LNER/BR Eastern Region line over which the LMS/BR Midland Region have running rights (IRL this didn't happen, but given that other lines in the area did, and given that in several places the LNER's and LMS' lines actually ran almost parallel to one another I imagine that a spot of cooperation isn't an unreasonable idea to posit for this layout, and it gives me an excuse to run my LMS/Midland stock) between roughly 1925 and 1965 (this may move around a little to accommodate the odd pre-grouping/diesel train). The layout will have 2 'termini' at either end with through lines and at least one bay platform, with 3 intermediate stations and one rural halt, along with a colliery siding(s)/minor branch line. I hope eventually that although, my own creation, there will be enough nods to reality to make the inspiration clear to anyone familiar with the area.

The first stage of which has begun in that I have acquired kits for a K1 and a selection of Gresley LNER Teak coaches, all of which are sat at my parents awaiting building.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #483 on: February 04, 2021, 06:19:53 pm »

That's ambitious; I like it.  Coincidentally I bought a copy of this recently and there's a lot to play with in that area for inspiration. 
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #484 on: February 04, 2021, 08:23:31 pm »

That's ambitious; I like it.  Coincidentally I bought a copy of this recently and there's a lot to play with in that area for inspiration. 

Hmm, I might have to see about obtaining myself a copy (my main reference so far is this).
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #485 on: February 05, 2021, 12:19:38 am »

I am looking forward to seeing this take shape - both layouts, in fact!
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #486 on: February 05, 2021, 09:42:47 am »

"slight" mishap on the class 01 tinplate loco.
Wired it up, insulation failed somewhere and within a fraction of a second I stood in a cloud of smoke.
Hit the emergency cutoff button of the lab, thought, OK, everything is off.
BUT
After another second the insulation of some wires burst into flames, setting the foamed plastic sheet on the workbench on fire.

Being a voluntary fireman this was quickly dealt with.
(plastic sheet went out of the window into the rain, loco was placed on a fireproof mat until the cables had burnt out)

So wiring is back to square #1.

Model railway can be an exciting hobby.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #487 on: February 07, 2021, 12:18:51 pm »

Some snow!
about 30cm high now.
Out went the snowplough:

There we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7NTAvcIsMQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQG7ZNu3Zss

Traction was poor bit did not matter too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7NTAvcIsMQ
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #488 on: February 07, 2021, 12:45:49 pm »

Handy gadget to have in your backyard!
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #489 on: February 11, 2021, 08:24:27 pm »

Well, the first bit of Dukeswood is *nearly* complete, a kit for WD Austerity 2-8-0/LNER O7 which I intended to finish in BR livery (seen here with a kit built BR 16 ton mineral wagon)

Obviously it still needs to cabside numbers and power classification, as well as the crest on the Tender, but I'm quite pleased with how it's come out.

I must confess this is something of a surprise to me as I bought it with just a view to maybe modelling some heavy freight traffic (hence the wagon, as I've already got a couple of them and they were used for coal/mineral traffic) but a bit of research revealed that the line I'm looking to base Dukeswood on is exactly where the prototype could be found, and so it'd be great for hauling coal trains. Hopefully (when and if) Dukeswood happens, I'll be able to run a train of empty wagons into the colliery sidings/branch and then (later) run out a rake of full wagons.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #490 on: February 13, 2021, 07:02:29 pm »

The railway room wall has been given a clean bill of health; 'this side is pretty solid look, its OK'... so I guess that means I can make a start on RLS, once some more of the house is sorted out.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #491 on: February 22, 2021, 09:55:31 pm »

Well work has continued on Dukeswood's loco stock.

The WD austerity has received its' loco number and power classifications, (I noticed I've gone for the earlier Cycling Lion crest rather than my usual later Ferret and Dartboard and I'm tempted to set about weathering it).

And, in pursuit of my masochist tendencies I mean, expanding my skill set I've had a go at lining out my 2MT with a bow pen (as opposed to using my usual transfers).

I'll admit it looks absolutely horrendous (though not as bad irl) but I think it's not too bad for a first attempt given my lack of experience and age/quality of the tool (it's probably not seen the light of day in 20 years or more, and even longer since it was used), and with a thin grey line (that will wait until I manage to get the body, bow pen and some grey paint in the same place) it should pass muster from 3' away.

I had planned to make my first attempt on a K3 kit I've just finished building, but that's gone on the back burner whilst I wait for the appropriate transfers (I intend to finish it in LNER mixed traffic livery and I'm still waiting for them to be sent).

I'm also thinking about drawing up a list of suitable trains to run on Dukeswood, using my current loco and rolling stock (built and unbuilt kits) and what would be needed to make them up.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #492 on: February 23, 2021, 09:07:24 pm »

Yep, that's why I hate lining.  I tend to use paint pens (Posca or similar) for cab, tank and tender sheets.  Boiler bands I use ball point pens and paper.  
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #493 on: February 27, 2021, 03:31:15 pm »

Jubilee diesel loco is finished.
Had a successful test run yesterday.
Today the green Monster was in the workshop for a new ignition coil.
Fed up with NOS (new old stock) parts that fail after a short period of use I found a supplier for new wipac coils.
(Motor is a Villiers F.07. The service manual dates from 1969)
It´s raining now so I will have to wait for a proper test run.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #494 on: March 05, 2021, 04:55:07 pm »

Well, my latest spurt of modelling has seen me returning my attention to the 009 micro layout which stalled because of this plague and not being able to get to a model shop or any shows so as I can obtain the relevant materials.

This is what I have so far of the goods shed I intend to have at the opposite end of the layout to the Metcalfe clad I did last year and I'm reasonably happy with it. Like the gatehouse it's a card kit (albeit a printable one rather than from die cut card) clad in embossed plastic sheet to give some texture. But it still needs a roof, ramp, platform and doors. I have built one of these before as quick diversionary project and although I found it a decent enough kit in its' own right, it suffers from the same problems all these kits do (the quality of the finished article is highly dependant on the quality of the printer available).

In other news, the impending release of a variety of pre-grouping coaches has led me to consider what sort of locos and rolling stock would be appropriate immediately post grouping on Dukeswood (and if I have an excuse to order more than just some GC 4&6 wheeled coaches) as a result of which I'm currently in the process of getting my head around the South Yorkshire Joint railway, which connected the GC/MR line that I'm basing Dukeswood on to Doncaster (and involved another 3 different railway companies).
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #495 on: Today at 01:33:09 am »

I use automotive masking tape, which can be purchased in very narrow widths, for masking up my musical instruments for decoration. It can be bought in 1mm to very broad widths, and peels off beautifully. It's also quite flexible and a bit stretchy, so masking curves and bends is quite easy.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: