The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 28, 2021, 02:22:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Brassgoggles Model Making Club (the second non-SP model making thread).  (Read 26763 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #450 on: November 21, 2020, 02:10:35 pm »

Well, it is glazed and- as you can see- assembled.  Today's activities are plugging the joints with filler and then starting on the roof joists, of which there are three, each composed of three separate pieces of card with the individual timbers cut out... quite why it needs that level of detail for something that won't be seen is beyond my ken. 

Ho hum. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #451 on: November 21, 2020, 03:06:01 pm »

Well, it is glazed and- as you can see- assembled.  Today's activities are plugging the joints with filler and then starting on the roof joists, of which there are three, each composed of three separate pieces of card with the individual timbers cut out... quite why it needs that level of detail for something that won't be seen is beyond my ken. 

Ho hum. 

Who knows? some of these kit manufactures go to extreme lengths in terms of providing details like that, probably to satisfy the rivet counters.

Case in point I once built a card goods shed kit (it was one of the those 'buy the kit and print as many copies as you like') which included the same kind of detail, even though seeing it once completed would require lifting the whole building up and looking from underneath, or getting down below the level of whatever it was sat on and looking up through the opening.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #452 on: November 29, 2020, 12:49:01 pm »

Well my Metcalfe clad is complete(ish).

Now, I'll admit there are one or two rough edges here and there, but overall I'm reasonably pleased with the result, given how many new techniques (for me) were involved in it and I reckon they can be hidden with a little bit of weathering.

Now it's complete I feel able to unveil some more of my plans for this OO9 industrial shunting layout I'm planning. Last year in BRM there was a series on building micro layouts designed to fit in one of these modular bookcase from a "Well known Swedish Furniture store"

Now, given I own more than one of these bookcases, I've decided under my present circumstances that it's possible (if not practical) to dedicate a shelf to a micro layout. At one end I plan to have this gateway acting a scenic break, and a goods shed at the other end with a canal basin to the front.

But as the layout is still in the planning stages so it may be a while before anything more happens. Next on the list is a couple of kits of heavy goods locos I've been able to acquire.The first is a WD 'Austerity'/LNER O7 which may eventually find a home on my (still hypothetical branch line layout) and an LMS Stannier 8f which is more in keeping with my other loco and rolling stock. I just need to find something for them to haul (I want to get a couple more wagons for my ballast train, but having just obtained a BR coal wagon I might see about getting some more together).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 08:37:03 pm by Madasasteamfish » Logged
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #453 on: November 29, 2020, 05:17:01 pm »

You're doing better than I am.  The plan was to start building RLS this winter but it appears one of the railway room walls will need replastering, which kind of brings that to a screeching halt.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #454 on: November 30, 2020, 12:59:36 pm »

Looking good, Madas, looking good!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #455 on: December 05, 2020, 03:46:34 pm »

Inching on further.  Most of the roof is on, slated and- a start made on the painting of the slates.  There's still work to do on the walls; further cornicing and detailing to be added.  But it's slowly getting there.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #456 on: December 07, 2020, 09:51:10 am »

Finally another project done.
O-gauge this time.

Märklin made a rake of coaches along the usual pattern:
-mail
-baggage
-restaurant
-sleeper
-standard 2nd and 3rd class

These were also available as RHEINGOLD version in violet and cream.

There was another series in dark blue representing the CIWL, but
the only ones made were restaurant and sleeper coach.
So I had two green baggage ones professionally repainted to match the train I already had.
(the original dark blue was prone to fading. Some tuned yellowish, almost green, some turned light blue so it was difficult to match the colour for the new ones)

Here they come:

Moved to track #3 and bringing the train in:

Märklin TCE bringing up the rear one (with top taillights):

Another loco (unknown maker, frame bottom once has been an ERDAL can) bringing up the other one:

Converted PAYA-Loco takes the train:
(not much left of the original paya except for the body...

All aboard:

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #457 on: December 07, 2020, 06:22:09 pm »

That is fantastic.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #458 on: December 08, 2020, 08:18:30 am »

I totally agree with James! Fantastic!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #459 on: December 13, 2020, 10:36:07 am »

The ventilation has been fitted on the stable block.  I didn't like the way this was done in the kit, so I built my own from styrene sheet. 
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #460 on: December 15, 2020, 02:56:43 pm »

Success:

216 back on her wheels.
First test runs (in the dark as it was quite late) were promising.
The ridiculous top speed is gone.
Much more power.
Starting up on the gradient is no longer a problem.
Creeping uphill at snails pace, why not?

Old motors (silver), new motors (black)

She has also become quite now as the straight-teethed gearbox assemblies and final chain drive have been removed.
Now I can start the overhaul of the body.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #461 on: December 15, 2020, 06:22:15 pm »

The clerestory to the roof is fitted (and, since the photograph was taken, has been slated). 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #462 on: December 18, 2020, 08:14:35 pm »

Finished- just in time for Christmas, too....

Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #463 on: December 18, 2020, 10:14:35 pm »

Finally another project done.
O-gauge this time.

Märklin made a rake of coaches along the usual pattern:
-mail
-baggage
-restaurant
-sleeper
-standard 2nd and 3rd class

These were also available as RHEINGOLD version in violet and cream.

There was another series in dark blue representing the CIWL, but
the only ones made were restaurant and sleeper coach.
So I had two green baggage ones professionally repainted to match the train I already had.
(the original dark blue was prone to fading. Some tuned yellowish, almost green, some turned light blue so it was difficult to match the colour for the new ones)

Very impressive collection....where do you have your [very large] layout? Spare room? Garage? Basement? Dedicated outbuilding? 

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #464 on: December 19, 2020, 10:43:39 am »

"Proper job", James!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #465 on: December 19, 2020, 11:18:57 am »

"Proper job", James!

Thanks! 

Next project... err, I don't know yet....
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #466 on: December 19, 2020, 02:00:46 pm »

It's that time again; already I know!

I genuinely didn't expect this time last year to be in a position of looking at starting Rufford Red Lion Square quite so soon, but here we are.  I finished the photo plank this year of course and that suggests I should be able to achieve what I have in mind, which is reassuring.

I've slowly made inroads into my stash of 'stuff' but.... err no hang on that's not right is it?  Things got built but the stash continues to be topped up, and I'm not really holding out much hope of being able to do much about that this year.  Bigger things to think about....

Welcome to the 2020 Review of the Year post!

Err.... the house got in the way, largely.  

No progress on the fleet (although a 1/700 HMS Agincourt awaits construction), in fact things kind of went the other way and several vessels (luckily not my treasured dreadnoughts) took damage.  

A few locomotives have been repainted and put back into service, but the one I was looking at at the time I moved house (a 2-4-2 suburban tank engine) has disappeared and no sign of it has yet been found.  

Work was planned to start on RLS this Autumn/ Winter but it would appear at least of the walls of the planned railway room is life-expired, so that has had to be put on hold until it can be addressed.  However, a second building for the project has been completed.  

So, plans for 2021....

The house will continue to take priority for time and resources between March and October.  

Other than that, maybe HMS Lord Nelson and HMS Agincourt will be built?  I also want to make a major push to get my carriage stock sorted out and there are always, always, locomotives waiting their turn in the works.  
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #467 on: December 19, 2020, 09:21:12 pm »

Now, I'm not really in the habit of making plans to the same degree as our Mr Harrison, but I suppose it would be worth reviewing my own year.

I made a start (and got about 90% done) with my SP box file diorama (about another couple of hours should do it when I can find the time/motivation), as well as working on a couple of other SP projects which stalled when things were put on hold because of all this bloody plague business and I daresay those have occupied a great deal of my time and effort modelling wise.

Obviously top of the list is my newly formed plan for a future semi-permanent layout (which will have to wait until I have both more space and a far more permanent base), which will require a certain amount of research, the process of which is beginning. I've worked my way through my loco kit stash (which has also unfortunately grown) with my GWR King Class and no. 73086 The Green Knight, a BR standard Class 3 Tank and a 55xx praire (in body at least) being completed, along with my semi-scratch built hunslet. I've also built a LNWR Webb Coal tank (which is awaiting numbering). I've also put together a few ballast wagons and revisited a rake of GWR goods wagons, adding detail to them. I've also formulated a plan for a micro layout, which has begun with my Metcalfe-clad kit (and I have another similar built shaping up).

Away from the model rail stuff, I've built a pair of WWI era French tanks, a sherman with extended exhausts, at least 2 fighter aircraft (which I failed to document here) and have started on a self propelled artillery piece.

So that's 6 locos, 3 wagons built, another 5 detailed, 1 building, 3 tanks and 2 fighter planes built. And 2 layouts dreamed up.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #468 on: December 19, 2020, 09:58:53 pm »

So that's 6 locos, 3 wagons built, another 5 detailed, 1 building, 3 tanks and 2 fighter planes built. And 2 layouts dreamed up.

[sings]And a diorama on the shelf[/sings]  Grin

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #469 on: December 21, 2020, 01:56:57 pm »

@Deimos: spare room on the first floor, about 3.5 by 4.5 metres.

So 216 has left the workshop:

What started as a simple repair tuned out to be a bit more:

-new motors (this was the planned task)
-new wheelsets
-replaced complete drivetrain
-removed and re-fitted all windows
-made window frames for cab sides
-made the frame round the ventilation slats and cab doors
-painted the gray strip (planned task #2)
-made steps
-minor repairs to electric system
-repairs to loco body

Now she should run for some time.

Green Monster is still acting up.
Does anyone know where I can get a WIPAC So551 ignition coil?
No NOS, new part please...

Next on the list is the small blue shunter.
Running since 2007. The wiring was done at night right before a running day "just to run her on that day and replace the wiring later".
This never happened and is overdue.
some other weak spots will also need looking at.
Lighting upgrade, handset upgrade,.....

The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #470 on: December 25, 2020, 05:15:25 pm »

Maxitrak Jubilee in the workshop.

As expected lots of dirt inside.
Taken out the old wiring.
I have no idea what creature had built its nest in there.....
Body was just tab&slot, will be welded together.
More weight needs to be added
Steel blocks will be replaced by lead.
Some parts will be reinforced (adding even more weight).

Completely new wiring.
Complete repaint.

This is the plan.
Let´s see how long it takes.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #471 on: January 02, 2021, 08:07:01 pm »

Is this one yours, Bullet?  I remember you were working on a 5" Lion a little while ago. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-uck_OLKyI&t=150s
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #472 on: January 04, 2021, 09:10:46 am »

Unfortunately not mine.
The Gab gear is where it belongs now (was quite a challenge) and the first movements under air pressure have been made.
Now the pistons will come out again as they leak.
They will receive teflon rings as on all my other locos.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #473 on: January 29, 2021, 05:08:27 pm »

Where is everyone?

So quiet here.....

With 216 finished the Jubilee loco is still in parts.
The body was just tab and slot, so quite wobbly.
The frames have been reinforced.
As soon as the body is finished I can start the wiring.
Putting the windows in will be quite a task as the frames are very thin.
The manufacturer (who is still selling kits) is "not sure if we have that spare part you need" that is contained in every single kit.
WTF?
Lion will have the boiler put onto the frames and a second test on compressed air.
(the first one has shown a tight spot that has yet to be spotted (ok, bad pun).
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #474 on: January 29, 2021, 08:13:10 pm »

Where is everyone?

So quiet here.....

Afraid my main modelling efforts have been somewhat cerebral as of late, as what started as a throwaway comment set the gears in my head turning (I daresay anyone stood next to me over the past 6 weeks or so for long enough will have been able to hear them clanking), and it has developed into a semi-solid plan for a 'permanent' layout. I'm still working on the name, but I hope it to eventually develop into an effort comparable to Mr Harrison's Red Lion Square.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: