The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 28, 2020, 12:19:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Brassgoggles Model Making Club (the second non-SP model making thread).  (Read 23504 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #425 on: October 07, 2020, 05:30:47 pm »

Now, although most of my time and attention modelling wise has been focused on my SP diorama my new project is starting to take shape.

I've been toying with the idea of a micro layout for a while, and have come up with a workable plan (and after a trip to the model shop a few weeks ago I have some of the supplies). I'm hoping to create a 009 gauge industrial dockside, and to this end I've obtained a couple of kits (1 loco and a wagon) and a metcalfe factory entrance kit for some scenery/scenic break.

Now, given my contempt displeasure of seeing them just plonked down on layouts (you could probably make a hobby out of spotting them at exhibitions) I've come up with a plan to make it a little bit more unique. To this end, I intend to clad it in embossed plasticard, just to give it some definition and hopefully make it look better.

Looking forward to seeing that. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #426 on: October 10, 2020, 08:25:15 pm »

http://shop.finescalebuildings.com/product/goods-yard-stables

This is my next project; the second structure for Grimston goods depot- the yard stable block.  I bought this at least several months ago- around the time the house purchase was going through- but it's only today that I've finally gotten around to having it printed off, and ordering the brick sheet to clad it with. 

So as I have next week off work, and house-hammering was wound down for the Winter, I've no excuse not to get on with it...
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #427 on: October 10, 2020, 08:50:02 pm »

http://shop.finescalebuildings.com/product/goods-yard-stables

This is my next project; the second structure for Grimston goods depot- the yard stable block.  I bought this at least several months ago- around the time the house purchase was going through- but it's only today that I've finally gotten around to having it printed off, and ordering the brick sheet to clad it with. 

So as I have next week off work, and house-hammering was wound down for the Winter, I've no excuse not to get on with it...

Looks interesting. It'll be interesting to compare notes as my metcalfe clad build is beginning (I've ordered some more plasticard in order to continue it as I underestimated the amount I needed) although it has stalled for the minute as I'm waiting for some 3D printed windows and doors (which I mistakenly had despatched to my parents address).

Although a piece of advice (although IIRC you've already attempted something similar) which is, check which way the courses running before cutting.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #428 on: October 10, 2020, 08:59:15 pm »

Vertical brickwork would be interesting / amusing but yes something I want to avoid.  I managed it last time so cladding it should be OK, just a bit tedious. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #429 on: October 12, 2020, 06:53:53 pm »

I've found a bit of my modelling mojo (I'd lost it down the back of the sofa I think) and applied it today to fit the boiler bands and insignia to my 'Immingham' class locomotive, which has been sitting in a box half-lined since early July. All it needs now is the numberplates, and possibily some light weathering, and thats another project off the bench. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #430 on: October 13, 2020, 09:00:13 am »

As mentioned yesterday....

Number plates were fitted this morning, so now I can add another completed loco to my roster.  That makes three black 4-6-0s I've finished in the new house.

Next planned loco project is a pair of 2-4-2 tank engines.
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #431 on: October 13, 2020, 03:50:56 pm »

As mentioned yesterday....

Number plates were fitted this morning, so now I can add another completed loco to my roster.  That makes three black 4-6-0s I've finished in the new house.

Next planned loco project is a pair of 2-4-2 tank engines.

Looks really good... Very nice.
How are you displaying your models? Got any pics to post?

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #432 on: October 13, 2020, 07:22:33 pm »

At the moment they're pretty much all stored away in boxes.  The railway room is not exactly high up on the list of priorities, I think the best to hope for short term is that I can clear it up to the point there is room to at least start work in there. 
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #433 on: October 14, 2020, 06:34:37 pm »

Well, having made the trip to visit my parents, I today took possession of a white metal kit for a GWR Dukedog (missing it's tender, but I should have a suitable one knocking about somewhere) and decided I should remind myself exactly why I hate soldering (I've decided soldering was devised by someone who either hated metalworkers and wanted to drive them insane, or they were some kind of freak who had an extra hand made of asbestos).

In between turning the air blue, I managed to get most of the boiler together and onto the running board, albeit with one or two accidents, which I should be able cure with time and some filler (not to mention savlon). All in all, I'm not particularly happy with it (even though this is my first real attempt at soldering any kind of kit together), especially since the most difficult parts to attach are proving to what in my experience are usually (with cryoante/epoxy) the easiest bits to attach, but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

In future I think I'll stick to using my usual adhesive approach for white metal kits, but I may be willing to venture a little bit further out of my comfort zone and attempt a brass kit in future (once I've managed to get a bit more practice and don't need to remind myself which end of the soldering iron is the hot one).
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #434 on: October 14, 2020, 08:03:11 pm »

In my (very) limited experience, soldering brass is a doddle compared to soldering whitemetal.  For one thing, you don't have to worry about melting whatever you're trying to solder.  The key seems to be, so far as brass is concerned, absolute cleanliness.  A fibreglass pencil I've found is a very useful tool. 

Today, I found some spare plastic brick sheet- enough to do at least one of the walls of the stable block kit- so I made a start on that.

Cutting tiny intricate shapes in 2mm thick card is not exactly what you might call fun. 

However I think the finished piece will be something to be pleased with. 
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #435 on: October 16, 2020, 06:48:51 pm »

Well, work continues here at Walesmoor Works.

I've decided to return to some of my previous work, specifically this:

my GWR goods rake.

Since this photo was taken I did add a coal load to the loco coal wagon (extreme left of the picture) but my current efforts are mainly focused on the four open wagons. They've all been weighted (as have the minks) and my plan for the next few days are to add tarpaulin covers to the tarpaulin wagons (the 2 nearest the brake van) and manufacture loads for the 2 open wagons.

As things stand I'm not sure what to go for, at the moment I'm thinking of going for some miscellaneous crates and or metal drums.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #436 on: October 20, 2020, 09:37:35 pm »

What with my brief sojourn almost at an end, my modifications are complete (or at least complete enough for the moment).

My tarpaulin wagons have been covered, as has one of my mink van (in what would be a prototypical quick fix to a leaky roof) with a new (to me at least) technique of painted kitchen foil which seems to have worked reasonably well (it was certainly easier than using paper which I have done before). I still need to add some rope to make them look more fixed on but that's for another time I'm back here.

And, here are my wagon loads. The oil drums are left over extas from my Wills grounded coach kits from a few years ago, the 'crates' are wooden coffee stirrers glued together and then cut to length, and then given a coat of Citadel agrax earthshade. The whole lot have been glued to pieces of black cardboard so as that they can be removed and the wagons can (should I wish) be shown running empty.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #437 on: October 25, 2020, 11:52:00 am »

Class 216 in the workshop for a major overhaul.

The bogies are in pieces.
The old motors are fried.
I was fed up with the howling of the gear train and the rattling of the chains.

Fortunately I found a really ugly-looking "freelance diesel loco" on the secondhand market.
The wooden body did not look like any locomotive I know of.
The bogies were way too high....
BUT:
There were 4 Axle-hung motor units aka power wheelsets with the superb FASCO 12V motors.
The price matched only two power wheelsets.
So I asked the seller if they were prepared to sell it to me but only ship the bogies (and burn the rest).

So they did and I now have four powered wheelsets.
Minor alterations are needed, nothing serious.

While I am waiting for other parts I will have a look at the superstructure and get rid of the gaps between the body panels.
Winter project started....

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #438 on: October 27, 2020, 01:55:05 pm »

Well the first stage of my Metcalfe clad is complete:

Obviously at the moment it's only half finished as there's the tower at the other end of the gateway arch to be added and lintels to the window frames on the end building, which I mainly decided to add mainly to help hide the slightly uneven edges of the openings I cut for the windows.

As things stand, I'm actually quite happy with it since I've been exploring a fair few new techniques and materials with it, as not only is this the first time I've attempted to "build" a structure from plasticard and building sheets, it's also the first time I've use laser cut and or 3d printed items, and I've never attempted to create brickwork like this.

I'm not entirely happy with it as I have ended up using the printed card pieces at the corners to help hide the joins (I had hoped to use plasticard for this but scoring it neatly proved too awkward.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #439 on: October 27, 2020, 09:07:20 pm »

The trick is not to fold the plastic sheet.  On the end walls cut the plastic slightly oversize to sail over the join, then trim it back.  (You then have the option to notch the sheet on the mortar lines to take the brickwork around the corner, assuming that you took care to line the bricks up when starting out). 

Now that work on my 1:1 scale model of an Edwardian terrace has wound down for Winter, I can ramp back up with the 1:76 project.

I've added the lintels to the stable block facade.  These should be brick but I've painted them in a stone colour to continue the style of the yard offices.   
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #440 on: October 27, 2020, 10:36:13 pm »

Hmm, I'll try and remember that next time I attempt something like this, but I'm not sure if I have the necessary dexterity to carry it off.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #441 on: October 30, 2020, 09:13:30 am »

Working on class 216.

Received the motor sets but the wheels were too wide to fit into the bogie.
No problem, wheel discs are cheap and those will be uswd for another project.
old ball bearings have 12,7mm internal diameter so I needed to turn the axle down.
The axles are 15mm at the ends and 19 between the wheels.
No problem. Onto the lathe, find the centre and....WHAT IS THAT?
I put one 15mm end in the chuck and the other 15mm end on the live centre.
These were running fine but something did not look right.
After turning on the lathe I found that...the 15mm and 19mm diameters of the axles were not concentric.
As I need the 19 to suit the bushes I need to make new axles.
Takes a bit of time but no real problem.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #442 on: November 02, 2020, 06:56:53 pm »

Current works....

The stable block kit, I've clad three of the walls but there's a massive amount of other bits to go on yet before I can start fitting it all together. 

I've just been informed I'm to be the proud owner of one of these.  All in resin and nickel silver....

Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #443 on: November 02, 2020, 09:02:17 pm »

I've just been informed I'm to be the proud owner of one of these.  All in resin and nickel silver....

Damn you Harrison!  Angry Angry

I made the "mistake" of clicking that link, which led me down a rabbit hole of the sort wikipedia that often occurs, which led to the gears in my mind turning.

In the process of my digging I found the 'fascinating' fact that the village I grew up in was actually on a GCR/LNER branch line (specifically the Sheffield-Lincoln branch), rather than the LMS/Midland I previously believed it to be. Now, if I'm interpreting the maps I've found correctly, the line was owned by the GCR between Sheffield and the Lincolnshire coast (or at least as far west as Gainsborough through it's acquisition of the MS&LR) and had shared running rights on another line between Retford and Lincoln.

Now, here's where the gears started turning as I've never really had much (if any) inclination to model a real world location and or line, but now, given the preponderance of LNER and its' constituents locos & rolling stock available (which was in a significant part of what led to me to dabbling with the GWR) I've realised if I had the time and space available I could model a section of this branch line (say between Worksop and my local station which would give me a decent run of a double line comprising 3 stations somewhere between say 1910 and 1945), given my (unfortunate, given the current rolling stock) familiarity with it, and as my parents still live in the area it'd be easy to carry out the necessary research to model it.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #444 on: November 03, 2020, 06:14:59 pm »

I believe you're actually on part of the Sheffield & Lincolnshire Junction, which was one of the four companies which merged to form the MSLR in 1847.  If you want to model it in GCR days you're looking at a lot of scratchbuilding of older superannuated stock- Sacre and Parker designs that got sent over there to work out their last days of usefulness pulling trains of 4 and 6 wheel carriages.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #445 on: November 03, 2020, 07:04:35 pm »

I believe you're actually on part of the Sheffield & Lincolnshire Junction, which was one of the four companies which merged to form the MSLR in 1847.  If you want to model it in GCR days you're looking at a lot of scratchbuilding of older superannuated stock- Sacre and Parker designs that got sent over there to work out their last days of usefulness pulling trains of 4 and 6 wheel carriages.

Well, I doubt it'll be happening anytime soon (I expect it'll have to wait until I'm in a similar position to you and have the space to dedicate to an end-to-end layout), but I imagine it could be an interesting project as it'd allow a decent amount of different traffic pre-nationalisation.

As well as the aforementioned commuter/suburban passenger trains, I daresay I could justify the appearance of Sheffield-Nottingham passenger trains, a decent number of coal trains (being in South Yorkshire much of the village was built around a coal mine), fish trains heading for Sheffield (or elsewhere from somewhere like Grimsby), as well as the odd excursion train.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #446 on: November 14, 2020, 11:40:11 am »

If you do want to pursue that line of investigation, there are some books available:

"Great Central East of Sheffield" by Geoffrey Hurst (Volume 1, I've never come across a Volume 2 so presumably it was supposed to be the start of a series, but wasn't.) https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=Great+Central+East+of+Sheffield&_sacat=0

"Great Central Lines in Lincolnshire" by Stephen Walker

"Railways of North-East Lincolnshire" (three books) by Paul King

"Great Central Railway" (three volumes, 1813- 1863, 1864- 1900, 1901- 1922) by George Dow
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #447 on: November 14, 2020, 11:45:28 am »

The front wall and both side walls now have their window lintels and sills.  I was hoping to get the glazing done this weekend- which may yet be the case- but I was going to use a paintpen to draw in the glazing bars.  Slight problem- I need a greenish cream colour to do that, and my paintpens are white, black or red.  And of course all the art supply shops are shut because of plague and the cack-handed way the powers that be have dealt with same. 

For reasons unknow the designer of this kit has decreed that each wall needs to be built up of four or five layers, so far I've put together three (and can't proceed further until the glazing is done).  There's plenty of cardstock to be cut yet before I can start erecting this. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #448 on: November 14, 2020, 05:34:39 pm »

So, I found that Rymans are still open... and was able to get some Sharpies (other paint pens and permanent markers are available).  So I'e been able to do the glazing today after all.  Next stage are the inner faces to the outer walls, then the window sills on the inside of that, then there is an internal to fabricate and then I should be able to raise the walls.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #449 on: November 14, 2020, 07:30:02 pm »

Tail lamps....
Many of them, but not enough.
I fitted lamp holders to most wagons (they were used for tail lamps at night and for EOT signs at daytime).
Some wagons have received a small 9V battery to power the lamps.
I now need "a few" more lamps.
The bus plan is to have some "universal" lamps that fit any wagon (well, most of them). and only have one set of "special" lamps for those wagons where a "universal" cannot be used.
So I will send another order to the 3d printers.

216 axles and wheels should arrive next week.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: