The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 11, 2020, 11:23:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Brassgoggles Model Making Club (the second non-SP model making thread).  (Read 18560 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #400 on: July 25, 2020, 06:40:50 pm »

It still needs transfers, there are some areas that still need another coat or two of paint, and the jury is out whether or not it should be lined out in straw, but aside from those issues I think this one is fairly close to completion.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #401 on: July 26, 2020, 08:18:47 am »

I´d opt for the lining.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #402 on: July 26, 2020, 09:28:13 am »

I´d opt for the lining.

I think you're right, it will pick out the moulding nicely. 
Deimos
Snr. Officer
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #403 on: July 26, 2020, 11:10:04 am »

It still needs transfers, there are some areas that still need another coat or two of paint, and the jury is out whether or not it should be lined out in straw, but aside from those issues I think this one is fairly close to completion.

When you say "transfers" do you mean [what US calls] "Decals"?.
If so (meaning, if we are talking about the same thing) do you seal them either before applying them (so they don't "run" in the water) or after application to protect them?

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #404 on: July 26, 2020, 02:43:48 pm »

Yes, decals.  Specifically I'm got my eye on a set that will give me the coat of arms of the railway company, and 'Guard' and 'Luggage' lettering.  I usually use the pressfix type, which are sticky-backed, but I prefer to soak them in water first to get rid of that (otherwise if they don't go right first time you've got the awful job of trying to get them off again for another go).  Generally what I do is soak them, lay them down, pat them dry (which also puts on a bit of pressure to get them to adhere) and then coat the whole lot with dilute PVA glue (which dries satin and is a lot cheaper than varnish....)
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #405 on: July 27, 2020, 06:16:39 pm »

Decals, yes.
You can have custom made ones (like your home village as home station for a goods wagon) at a good price.
Quality is very good. After applying and waiting a night for them to dry I apply a thin layer of clear paint to keep them waterproof.
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #406 on: August 10, 2020, 08:17:49 am »

Pulpy tool robots/maintenance droids. Who have a better union than technicians. (I'll fix the eyes later...)

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: