The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 11, 2020, 10:46:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Brassgoggles Model Making Club (the second non-SP model making thread).  (Read 18559 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #375 on: June 03, 2020, 07:07:43 pm »

A 3D printed kit for a Great Northern Railway milk/ parcels van arrived today.  My parcels train just keeps on growing....

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #376 on: June 07, 2020, 12:15:39 pm »

I´m back.
Using TOr browser is awfully slow.

Green monster: exorcism complete, just a minor heat dissipation problem remaining.
Detailing on the Taigatrommel finished on the outside.
Driving desk still to do.

Will post pics when I have a quicker connection.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #377 on: June 07, 2020, 12:48:46 pm »

Excellent!  Welcome back!  I'm afraid all of my modelling has stopped for the present in favour of a Time Team-esque style excavation of my hallway floor, revealing the original quarry tiles beneath. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #378 on: June 12, 2020, 07:35:57 pm »

A few months ago I found a 1/700 kit for another WWI dreadnought; HMS Agincourt.  Now, I didn't buy it because it was a waterline model and all of mine I insist have to be full hull (ie- complete hull, rudders and screws).  

Erm.  Well.  Somebody's tooled up an aftermarket hull bottom kit.  

Long story short I'll be the owner of a 7-turret 12" dreadnought sometime this summer.

Two months later (I can only assume they steamed her here, around the Cape).... I'm in possession of the Agincourt.  Now just to wait on the aftermarket hull bottom.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #379 on: June 20, 2020, 08:07:14 am »

Not much progress on my side either.
Was given a steel cabinet (3 drawers, almost bulletproof) and decided that it is time to refurbish/replace the workbench with the lathe.
This one was only a reinforced old table.
Top level was about 10cm too low.
Now the whole workshop looks like the aftermath of an explosion.
New bench in place but every horizontal surface covered with bits....
Will take some time to get that back to normal.

I came across the cabinet paradox once more.

1. empty contents of cabinet on any suitable surface
2. sort the stuff
3. throw half of it away
4. no matter how you try, you will have difficulties fitting the remaining bits back into the cabinet they came from...
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #380 on: June 21, 2020, 08:48:46 am »

Here are some new pics:

Main and auxiliary brake valve assembly for the Taigatrommel:

I also built two more goods wagons during the last few weeks.

3D printed fixtures on first wagon:

Brakeman´s cabin on the second wagon

Tail lamps. When not in use they are unplugged and stored within the brakeman´s cabin (that also houses the battery and the switch)

Ready to go:

First wagon can be used as a driving truck:

Still working on the Taigatrommel driver´s desk.
Lots of time, lots of fiddly bits and almost no visible progress.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #381 on: June 28, 2020, 09:43:47 am »

Right, after two weekends of leaking plumbing and having had to spend a sum on emergency plumbers, my patience for the moment apropos my house is thoroughly exhausted.  To which end I'm thinking of sorting out the entrance hallway, which is currently in pieces, and calling a halt to proceedings there, for the present. 

So in a few months I'll get some spare time back and- well, now that I have the space (if not necessarily the money or all the time I would like) I think I'll be able to make a start on the layout. 

I'm hoping to be able to show some progress before the end of the year....
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #382 on: July 04, 2020, 11:34:36 am »

Still working on the Taigatrommel driver desk.
I pieced together all the gauges and buttons now.
Time for assembly.

Next project:
bavarian 5 ton hand-cranked crane.
I have eight spoked wheels on the bench but my lathe is just a tiny bit too small to clamp them.
GAH!
Need someone to do the job for me.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #383 on: July 05, 2020, 01:28:14 pm »

Driving desks finished.
Driver will be delivered next week.
The rubber seal around the cab windows has shrunk in some places.
Will take care of that next week.

Then the big one will be finished and I can get back to the armored railcar which still needs some details on the turret.

The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #384 on: July 11, 2020, 08:33:15 pm »

Where is everyone?

Another one from below the bench.
I got this loco long time ago and it never ran.
So it ended up in a big box under the bench until today.
Bing body (cast iron), Märklin Motor, homebrew front bogie, basically a collection of bits.
The motor did not even turn.

After a while, several replaced parts and the appropriate curses she runs:

Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #385 on: July 11, 2020, 11:10:52 pm »

That's a really nice little engine, Bullet, and it's amazing what a few of the right curses will do!
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #386 on: July 12, 2020, 10:08:09 am »

Technically already done, but took me some time to photograph. S-Model kit.

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #387 on: July 12, 2020, 10:18:20 am »

... it's amazing what a few of the right curses will do!

I just have to be careful when doing this in the workshop as our daughter (almost 3 years old) often sneaks into the workshop and repeats what Daddy says.
SWMBO is not pleased...

I see tanks approaching. Get the armoured railcar out!

Just ordered the 3d printed parts to finish detailing of the turret.
About 45kg, fast, loud and a working (water-)gun with about 6m range.

Last year I had some fun chasing photographers off the tracks.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #388 on: July 12, 2020, 11:18:05 am »

Very nice work all round!

I've not got the enthusiasm to look at my engines at the moment but I've hauled out one of my luggage vans to go on with.  1970s plastic kit, it needs couplings, buffers, painting, glazing and underframe details.  One of those that looks more complete than it actually is.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #389 on: July 12, 2020, 06:38:49 pm »

Where is everyone?

I managed to drag myself from being buried under scraped-off paint/ wallpaper, drowned by leaky radiators or having my wallet bled white by guttering/ plaster/ boiler woes to spend a little while at the modelling bench today. 

Old 1970s plastic kit for a Great Western Victorian-era luggage van.  Lacking buffers, wrong sort of couplings, no underframe detail and unpainted. 

I had some couplings to hand, so I was able to fit those, and then a rummage in one of my Jars of Many Things dragged out four identical buffers that are about the right length and size.  Then an initial coat of crimson lake to the sides and black to the ends. 

The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #390 on: July 12, 2020, 09:18:44 pm »

Taigatrommel loco:
The last decals are in place.
Let them dry until tomorrow, then I will give them a coat of clear paint and:

PROJECT FINISHED!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #391 on: July 13, 2020, 08:21:28 pm »

That deserves cake.  And possibly gin. 
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #392 on: July 13, 2020, 11:04:46 pm »

But not in the same glass! Well done, Bullet - it's been a long haul!
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #393 on: July 15, 2020, 09:03:29 pm »

Well with plague related measures here in the UK being relaxed (for better or worse) and now being able to get to a model shop, progress has been made. I've sprayed my LNWR coal tank.

Hopefully given a bit of time, once I've been able to visit the 'rents. I'll be able to finish it off with the appropriate number/livery transfers (I think LMS unlined black would work nicely alongside my LMS 4MT) and a coal load.

I've also finished my Ivatt tank (annoyingly the fit between the castings is so bad I'm going to have to use a fair bit of filler to close the many gaps, hence why there's no pictures yet). I've also come to a decision about the livery/format.

By a small error (due to a certain lack of clarity in the instructions) I've ended up building it as the BR standard 2MT tank (as opposed to the LMS designed and LMS/BR built version).

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #394 on: July 16, 2020, 05:09:40 am »

What a lovely little engine!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #395 on: July 16, 2020, 05:44:29 pm »

Well with plague related measures here in the UK being relaxed (for better or worse) and now being able to get to a model shop, progress has been made. I've sprayed my LNWR coal tank.

Hopefully given a bit of time, once I've been able to visit the 'rents. I'll be able to finish it off with the appropriate number/livery transfers (I think LMS unlined black would work nicely alongside my LMS 4MT) and a coal load.

I've also finished my Ivatt tank (annoyingly the fit between the castings is so bad I'm going to have to use a fair bit of filler to close the many gaps, hence why there's no pictures yet). I've also come to a decision about the livery/format.

By a small error (due to a certain lack of clarity in the instructions) I've ended up building it as the BR standard 2MT tank (as opposed to the LMS designed and LMS/BR built version).

That's a nice engine.  (I've always thought, were I not so heavily invested in modelling the Great Central, I'd likely be modelling the LNWR, quite possibly somewhere like Lichfield City in the Edwardian era). 

Whilst I'm struggling to get a neat even finish to the crimson lake on the luggage van (three coats and counting so far, I 'ate you 'umbrol), I'm contemplating projects started, stopped, stalled and squirreled away. 

- Immingham class loco:  has been painted in black, needs lining out and numbering. 
- Pair of 2-4-2 tanks: I might just simply this to GCR-ising the pair of LYR tanks I bought, rather than mess about trying to shoehorn chassis under whitemetal bodies and so on and so forth.  One of them I can even get away with retaining the roundtop firebox. 
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #396 on: July 18, 2020, 09:28:58 am »

Many 3d printed parts have arrived any been fitted.
Among this:
83 nuts, 1.5mm diameter.
Barrel recoil damper
Hatches

I am still waiting for two vent covers and the decals.

This is how my steel turtle looks now:

Between 40 and 50 kgs, enough power to pull me.
Heavy, fast, loud.....
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #397 on: July 18, 2020, 10:45:41 am »

.... and sprays water at lineside trespassers. Looks excellent.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #398 on: July 18, 2020, 09:06:07 pm »

Things are slowly progressing here. 

1) The Great Western luggage van has been painted up in crimson lake, with a white roof and black solebars and bogies.  The next anticipated stage is fitting some glazing, building a floor and then starting to look at the trussing and gas/ vacuum cylinders. 

2) I've lined out my 'Immingham' loco.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #399 on: July 19, 2020, 11:45:48 am »

Great weather yesterday so we ran some trains.

Swallow went well. Only one clack valve does not close reliably. Needs looking at.

Taigatrommel finished, so it was time for a proper baptism:

No-one shall get into the way....

Railcar only needs the decals.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: