The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 25, 2021, 12:07:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Brassgoggles Model Making Club (the second non-SP model making thread).  (Read 25852 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #350 on: April 15, 2020, 09:20:11 am »

Lining's finished.  Next stage- number and nameplates. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #351 on: April 15, 2020, 01:24:26 pm »

Well, that took...not as long as I was expecting actually. Of course there's still plenty to do since the chassis and valve gear needs sorting out, and then I've got to sort out the tender (which I have 2 motorised versions which came with the kit, but may not be in working order). On the other hand, I do have a 4-6-0 Hornby 5MT chassis I could use as a donor, but which would require pretty much scratch building the tender body.

On the other hand, I do have a kit for an appropriate high sided tender which came with a kit for a 4-6-0 4MT (which is basically an identical loco) which I have a suitable chassis for, but which would mean cannibalizing a rather nice (but cheap) RTR model.

I'm going to have to think about how I proceed.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #352 on: April 15, 2020, 04:49:15 pm »

It looks good so far (and you're a braver man than I tackling valvegear). 

Aside from a final coat of varnish, that's it for this one. 

Even considering I only did about 1/3 of the lining, that is a remarkably handsome livery. 
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #353 on: April 15, 2020, 06:59:20 pm »

It looks good so far (and you're a braver man than I tackling valvegear). 

Well, the calvegear with the kitcomes in several bits, but given how awkward it's proving, I suspect I'll look to cannibalise a chassis off a cheap model rather sticking to the chasis kit.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #354 on: April 20, 2020, 10:50:05 am »

Well, The Green Knight is mostly done. I'll admit the lining isn't brilliant, but a slight bit of weathering should hide the worst of the problems.

Given how awkward the valve gear was proving I've decided to try and find a suitable donor chassis rather than sorting anything out with the chassis kit it came with. Given my lack of knowledge of electrics and chassis building (I do have a motor and gearbox I'm tempted to try and rig up with another model but I'll see what happens).

Also, with Walesmoor Works in full swing, I've got a GWR King Class in progress nearing completion. And having re-discovered a set of OO9 castings I bought when I was in Porthmadog I'm well on the way to having something akin to a Quarry Hunslet.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #355 on: April 20, 2020, 05:17:52 pm »

Lining out.  Quite easily the job I hate the most.  If you use transfers they usually end up wrapped around themselves, or they lift, or they just don't go on straight.  The way I do it is to make my boiler bands out of normal writing paper (put a black biro line down and then cut a 1mm strip and wrap it around- far more robust) and then use paint pens and a ruler for the cab and tender sheets.  It's not exactly to scale, nor can I get all of the lining on, but if you go for the 3' viewing distance rule it generally comes out OK.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #356 on: April 21, 2020, 01:28:58 pm »

but if you go for the 3' viewing distance rule it generally comes out OK.

Well, if you apply that rule then my lining should pass.

But work continues, and no.s 1 and 2 paint shops here at Walesmoor Works are full swing. In paint shop 2 the GWR King has been primed, ready for painting as has the semi-scratch built Hunslet, while no. 1 shop has seen some military types move in. Meanwhile, the erecting shed has been working on some new(-ish) ballast wagons to go with the shark plough I built last year, meaning I'm that bit closer to having a ballast train.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #357 on: April 22, 2020, 01:32:27 pm »

Well those military types have moved out of no. 1 paint shop to make way for other things, and I'm quite pleased with them.

A Char B1 in French 1940-ish livery, and a (captured) Renault FT17 in (as I like my oddities) a later war German Occupation Forces livery Livery.

Currently still being worked on, are the GWR King (which needs painting, and a little bit more fetteling to the donor chassis, 2 Catfish ballast wagons (which don't need too much more work) and the semi-scratch built hunslet.

Oh, and I also seem to have 'obtained' (I'm currently awaiting delivery of it) a GWR 55XX small prairie kit.

Blimey, I have been busy during this lockdown.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #358 on: April 23, 2020, 05:45:05 pm »

I do like those tanks.  I'm reaching the conclusion I'll need one to get these blasted trees out in my garden- just railroad through them and leave crushed debris behind. 

Not much to report from Stafford No.1 Shop today; the new paint pens have arrived so work can progress on the Fish engine repaint, otherwise I'm waiting on a GWR 40' luggage van (late 1890s so very much pre-grouping and will run as part of a parcels train with my GWR Python van and some other NPCS) and a 1/700 HMS Agincourt which I'm not expecting until next month at the earliest.   
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #359 on: April 23, 2020, 06:33:48 pm »

I do like those tanks.  I'm reaching the conclusion I'll need one to get these blasted trees out in my garden- just railroad through them and leave crushed debris behind. 

Thank you very much. And given that I've built a Sherman, a King Tiger, a Cromwell and have a T34/85 nearing completion, I only need a Japanese and a Italian Tank to have a tanks from every major power in the Second World War (and given that IIRC Airfix are due to be re-releasing a Japanese tank kit under their 'vintage' range I'll only have to see about tracking down an Italian kit).
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #360 on: April 26, 2020, 02:13:08 pm »

Well the 55XX arrived on friday and is now ready for the paint shop

I'm thinking of painting it in BR Green (I know it's not 100% accurate since they were classed as Mixed Traffic locos by BR but I've seen enough in preservation to go with it). All it needs now is an appropriate chassis, which will be interesting as there were several parts included with the kit which are meant for the chassis, but not the chassis itself  Sad

In the back of the picture you can also just about see the Dogfish ballast wagon I've been working on (annoyingly I need to get wheels for it) and given I have that as well as the 2 catfish I've recently finished, I'd say I only need a couple more before I have a complete ballast train.

I'm also planning on confronting my deep seated fear of electrics and trying to motorise a Stannier Black 5 I bought a while ago which came with an etched brass chassis and which I have been able to obtain a motor and gears.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #361 on: April 28, 2020, 06:20:09 pm »

This delightful little thing arrived today.  Great Western non-corridor luggage van of 1897. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #362 on: May 02, 2020, 12:56:37 pm »

Things have been a little quiet of late, what with the house and everything being turned upside down and then before having a chance to return home life to something approaching an even keel damnable plague struck, some combination or other of those factors has resulted in my get up and go, getting up and going away. 

There is some progress however, albeit only of the slight variety...

1) I've completed repainting another locomotive (as soon as my homebrew varnish has dried I'll post a picture or two);
2) I've found a source of Great Central Railway poster and notice boards- these were one of the details lacking on Cremorne & Pittance (the other being the waiting room/ station masters office/ booking office signs). 
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #363 on: May 02, 2020, 01:29:59 pm »

Well, given the progress I've made I might as well share it.

First is my GWR King Class which is a Wills Finecast body kit mounted on a Hornby tender Drive chassis (with the tender painted, along with new transfers and a real coal load.

Obviously it still needs the name/number plates but that's going to have to wait until I've figured out a satisfactory way of painting them/ordered some.

Next is my Hunslett

Which I'm pretty pleased with, given that it's basically made largely from scrap bits, but still needs a chassis

Finally we have my 55XX which again needs number plates and a chassis.

I also managed to do some decent electric work on my Stannier Class 5 (to the point where the motor was connected to the pick ups, and could draw power from the wheels) which has given me a certain degree of confidence with soldering stuff. Unfortunately trying to get the wheels and gears to work led to so many problems and difficulties I'm not sure if I'll even attempt to build a chassis kit in the future.

But since the Body and tender are together I might just see about getting a cheap RTR model to act as a donor.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #364 on: May 02, 2020, 01:44:03 pm »

Excellent work there MAASF. 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #365 on: May 02, 2020, 08:39:57 pm »

As promised, the latest to roll out of Stafford No.1 Shop.  Right, which one is next?
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #366 on: May 07, 2020, 07:14:17 am »

Got some maintenance done:

Swallow:
fixed the leaks in manifold, pressure gauge connection and water sight glass top nut.
Revived the blowdown valve (soaked it in hot vinegar for some time.

Claud:
Dome seal replaced, injectors cleaned, clacks cleaned.
In the evening I asked my wife for a certain kind of canned soup.
She guessed at once: these tins were not corrugated, I needed the tin to make a new petticoat for the Claud as the old one was beyond repair. Got the tin, bashed it to shape, installed new manifold, enjoyed the soup.

Ordered parts for two new wagon frames.
My old B&D angle grinder (700Watts only) has been a nuisance for some time due to lack of power. Yesterday the replacement arrived: a DeWalt angle grinder with 1500 Watts......mooooooooree Power!!!

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #367 on: May 11, 2020, 08:46:46 pm »

Well, my next project is ready to be announced. I'm awaiting delivery of a kit for a LNWR Webb coal tank.

According to the pictures/information available it comes with a motor and chassis (which has been put together). Obviously when it arrives I will check the chassis and make sure it works (hopefully I won't have to do anything to it). I'll keep the rest of you updated.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #368 on: May 12, 2020, 05:30:06 pm »

I think I might have seen that one (half built on Ebay, if it's the same one?)  Nice catch!
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #369 on: May 12, 2020, 07:58:13 pm »

I think I might have seen that one (half built on Ebay, if it's the same one?)  Nice catch!

Could well be as I did obtain it off (fl)E(a)bay. The chassis looks built but the body is still in bits. I'm going to check the quality of the chassis/motor and make sure it works, hopefully worst case scenario is I have to fiddle with the soldered bits.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #370 on: May 16, 2020, 05:00:46 pm »

Well my coal tank is together.

The chassis seems to have been put together reasonable well (at least as good I could have done myself if not better). Obviously it needs priming and painting in order to be properly finished, however the paint and transfers and other things needed to finish it off will have to wait until this damnable plauge is over and done with. I suppose on the bright side, that'll give me plenty of time to decide on a livery.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #371 on: May 16, 2020, 06:11:31 pm »

I love that.  I'll bite- it has to be pre-1923 LNWR lined black.  Come and join us pre-grouping lot... we don't bite  Wink
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #372 on: May 16, 2020, 07:53:40 pm »

I love that.  I'll bite- it has to be pre-1923 LNWR lined black.  Come and join us pre-grouping lot... we don't bite  Wink

Well tbh I was thinking of LMS or BR unlined black (the challenge would be obtaining the appropriate 'British Railways' lettering). But I might consider having it as an oddball loco in LNWR livery.

EDIT: Then again I do seem to recall seeing a kit for a Midland Compound which I could finish as 10000 in honour of the preserved example at (What was my local anoraks haven) Barrow Hill.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 07:58:13 pm by Madasasteamfish » Logged
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #373 on: May 18, 2020, 08:33:22 pm »

Tonight's modelling fun and games is trying to locate a pair of locomotives that I put away for the house move and appear to have been allocated to running shed ∞.  So far I've found one (the better of my pair of Jersey Lilies), but not the one I want to attend to next (the better of my pair of Imminghams).
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #374 on: June 03, 2020, 01:07:31 pm »

Well, I've taken delivery of my latest project. A Keyser's kit for a LMS 2-6-2 Ivatt Tank which has left me with a lot of thinking to do.

I could build it as the LMS built version, finished in either LMS livery (which would work with the rake of LMS coaches I have) or BR livery, which would give me an excuse to get some more coaches. Or, I could go for the later BR version and finish it as a standard 2MT tank, which means I could potentially pair it with the rake of BR WR coaches I have. Decisions, decisions....
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: