The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 01, 2020, 02:19:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Brassgoggles Model Making Club (the second non-SP model making thread).  (Read 15594 times)
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #275 on: December 16, 2019, 08:46:54 pm »

Well I've relocated and at the moment have nothing in the way of a usable workspace.

However, I do have a couple of airfix kits awaiting my attention at my parents (a certain supermarket was selling them a while ago fairly cheaply and I picked up a good selection), and I'm toying with the idea of doing something with my N6.5 loco (which was joined by some wagon kits I picked up at a show about a month ago) but that will depend on the amount of space I decide I can spare.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #276 on: December 16, 2019, 11:39:40 pm »

Having just cleaned up the workshop (and got rid of what feels like a ton of rubbish) there are three 5" gauge projects.

- detailing of the Taigatrommel
- detailing of armored railcar
- drivetrain of the hand "jigger"

time to check the available parts and make a start.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #277 on: December 18, 2019, 04:01:16 pm »

Hand-powered Railcar.

spent some time at the lathe yesterday. Turned an adapter to re-fit the main sprocket (ex bicycle part).
Drivetrain complete.
Wooden bodywork went straight into the bin.
New body being made.
IP67 switches ordered.
Headlight, tail light and underfloor lights will be fitted.
The 12V air horn will be the only part from the old version that will see use in the new setup.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #278 on: December 18, 2019, 08:07:51 pm »

Well, 'the best laid plans' and so on and so forth.

Welcome to the 2018 annual Review of the Year and Announcement of the 2019 Programme.

The priority tasks for the year- HMS Queen Elizabeth was finished even before Christmas, which neatly allowed me to fit the WWI tank into Christmas Week as the annual Betweenmas Little Project. Those cardboard kits- finished, and indeed since scrapped!  Some re-roofed Hornby carriages really put paid to them.  I've done a few of the cattle wagons and I've still got another three or four (or five?) to look at.

Both RMS Mauretania and that last fighter 'plane got looked at, but of course the big news of the year (and which I really wasn't expecting to be doing) is the work on the larger projects.  RLS' goods yard offices, the Cakebox Challenge Diorama and the current magnum opus, the photo plank.  Each of these has taken up masses of time, effort and space, so the other things I was hoping to do have had to make way.

There have still been some triumphs and progress on other fronts; I only got one small loco built this year but at the same time I've been able to buy another.... five or six projects and express interest in another... now that last will be quite a step forward when it arrives.

Passenger rolling stock has been a big thing again this year, I think I've probably got enough carriages now so 2019 will likely see the last of them going through the works.

So; 2019.

The railway side of things we'll deal with first.  Carriages- mentioned above- I'm planning at some point to build a pair of Barnum brakes (for which I have the drawings ready for silhouette cutting) and I've bought up another five carriages ready for converting to GCR matchboard stock.  Goods rolling stock- at least one of the brass kits will be done this year.  Also the cattle and covered vans to attend to, and a few open wagons.... Locomotives, again the same problem as last year is knowing where to start.  Some of the easiest wins are simple repaint jobs, so it is likely at least a couple of freight locos will get done this year, if not at least one passenger engine.

Obviously the photo plank will take precedence!- that is actually progressing rather well at the moment and I think by Christmas there's no real reason why the platforms and the ballasting shouldn't be finished, leaving the landscaping to attend to.

Then moving to other business, I still have the 1/350 HMS Lord Nelson and the 1/700 Dreadnought- Temeraire conversion to look at.  I've decided that if a 1/700 plastic kit for a WWI battlecruiser should be made available that too will be added to the stash.  Readers may remember last year the proviso that always applies- that it has to be a full hull model. 

It's that time again; already I know!

I genuinely didn't expect this time last year to be in a position of looking at starting Rufford Red Lion Square quite so soon, but here we are.  I finished the photo plank this year of course and that suggests I should be able to achieve what I have in mind, which is reassuring.

I've slowly made inroads into my stash of 'stuff' but.... err no hang on that's not right is it?  Things got built but the stash continues to be topped up, and I'm not really holding out much hope of being able to do much about that this year.  Bigger things to think about....

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #279 on: December 20, 2019, 12:01:25 am »

So, my annual report of not enough progress to post anything actually complete or moving! However - I seem to have caught this railway bug thing! I have come from knowing nothing about railways and sought to build a steampunk sci-fi layout purely to get back into modelling, hence my choice of 1/35th scale narrowgauge - referred to in some railway modelling circles as 35n2. The complication I have given myself of buying only enough to kit bash and starting from a zero knowledge position has made this project years long and no progress! However, as intimated it has generated a desire to know more and I have discovered a suitable project to study. My own town. We have three railways stations, Colchester (Main) called Colchester North, Hythe and St.Botolphs. North is on the London Norwich main line and Hythe is on the 'Sunshine Coast' branch. St Botolphs is another branch from the Hythe line. The thing that has interested me (and humour me here - it may be absolutely typical) is that it suggests an interesting layout to model. Given my Martian shelf layout is nowhere operational, this new endeavour is purely a theoretical research and design project for the foreseeable future.

The railway of interest started in the 1840's and the part I want to work on begins (or ends) with a goods and passenger terminal at St Botolphs. This is located close to the army barracks side of town and the station has been used in all campaigns from inception. The double track then runs down to a Wye (is that the correct term? A triangle of track?) The left hand branch of the wye goes to join the London Norwich line, just east of the North Station via a level crossing and a couple of road bridges - good for concealing the exit to a fiddle yard. The other leg of the Wye from St.Botolph's goes to Hythe. The remaining leg of the wye connects the line from North to Hythe. Most maps and GoogleEarth will show this landmark to the east of the town centre. Towards North Station the line crosses a level crossing and there is another one to the east of Hythe, where the track skirts an industrial area running parallel to the river. So, within this scope, there would be:

A passenger terminal with goods yard and large sidings (5+ roads) and a private line to a factory next door - The Britannia Works
2 or 3 signal boxes, depending on era
The wye
2 level crossings
A through station with station buildings (Hythe) with goods yard and some kind of parking siding to allow other trains to pass.
A large coal depot with coal concentration units both sides of the station (Hythe)
More private sidings east of the river to clay works and paper works / printers
An industrial network on the other (west) side of the river to oil cake manufactory and other dockside industry, gas and electricity works.
A river, full of Thames barges - again depending on era.
A bus depot and tram depot depending on era again.

A parallel interest is looking into the social history of the road connecting St.Botolph's with Hythe. It appears to have had a record number of pubs and during the Victorian era it was everything a steampunk nightmare could include! That may become a new thread when I'm a bit further down the trail.

I am beginning to home in on 1957 for the railway design. It seems to be heading into peak coal era, pre-electrification, a goodly supply of steam engines plus the early lightweight DMU's. If anybody shows interest, I guess this could be another thread but I'm not sure how that will sit.

Thoughts?

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #280 on: December 20, 2019, 03:12:01 am »

Having just cleaned up the workshop (and got rid of what feels like a ton of rubbish)

But you'll regret throwing the stuff out at a later though.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #281 on: December 20, 2019, 11:20:41 am »

If anybody shows interest, I guess this could be another thread but I'm not sure how that will sit.

Thoughts?

Interested? OF COURSE.

Show your builds here. No matter what gauge, scale, topic, everyone is welcome. We have had ships, planes, boatd, tanks, cars,.....

Narrowgauge is pretty interesting. You can make anything and it looks plausible.

Railcar body almost finished. The wood is sucking up the paint. I needed four coats for the colour to show properly.
Now I am a bit stuck on how to fit a brake.
The brake block to the front wheels is not a problem.
But where do I put the lever in order not to interfere with arms, knees,....and still be accessible?
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #282 on: December 20, 2019, 08:40:20 pm »

So, my annual report of not enough progress to post anything actually complete or moving! However - I seem to have caught this railway bug thing! I have come from knowing nothing about railways and sought to build a steampunk sci-fi layout purely to get back into modelling, hence my choice of 1/35th scale narrowgauge - referred to in some railway modelling circles as 35n2. The complication I have given myself of buying only enough to kit bash and starting from a zero knowledge position has made this project years long and no progress! However, as intimated it has generated a desire to know more and I have discovered a suitable project to study. My own town. We have three railways stations, Colchester (Main) called Colchester North, Hythe and St.Botolphs. North is on the London Norwich main line and Hythe is on the 'Sunshine Coast' branch. St Botolphs is another branch from the Hythe line. The thing that has interested me (and humour me here - it may be absolutely typical) is that it suggests an interesting layout to model. Given my Martian shelf layout is nowhere operational, this new endeavour is purely a theoretical research and design project for the foreseeable future.

The railway of interest started in the 1840's and the part I want to work on begins (or ends) with a goods and passenger terminal at St Botolphs. This is located close to the army barracks side of town and the station has been used in all campaigns from inception. The double track then runs down to a Wye (is that the correct term? A triangle of track?) The left hand branch of the wye goes to join the London Norwich line, just east of the North Station via a level crossing and a couple of road bridges - good for concealing the exit to a fiddle yard. The other leg of the Wye from St.Botolph's goes to Hythe. The remaining leg of the wye connects the line from North to Hythe. Most maps and GoogleEarth will show this landmark to the east of the town centre. Towards North Station the line crosses a level crossing and there is another one to the east of Hythe, where the track skirts an industrial area running parallel to the river. So, within this scope, there would be:

A passenger terminal with goods yard and large sidings (5+ roads) and a private line to a factory next door - The Britannia Works
2 or 3 signal boxes, depending on era
The wye
2 level crossings
A through station with station buildings (Hythe) with goods yard and some kind of parking siding to allow other trains to pass.
A large coal depot with coal concentration units both sides of the station (Hythe)
More private sidings east of the river to clay works and paper works / printers
An industrial network on the other (west) side of the river to oil cake manufactory and other dockside industry, gas and electricity works.
A river, full of Thames barges - again depending on era.
A bus depot and tram depot depending on era again.

A parallel interest is looking into the social history of the road connecting St.Botolph's with Hythe. It appears to have had a record number of pubs and during the Victorian era it was everything a steampunk nightmare could include! That may become a new thread when I'm a bit further down the trail.

I am beginning to home in on 1957 for the railway design. It seems to be heading into peak coal era, pre-electrification, a goodly supply of steam engines plus the early lightweight DMU's. If anybody shows interest, I guess this could be another thread but I'm not sure how that will sit.

Thoughts?

Please share! Definitely interested. 
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #283 on: December 21, 2019, 12:29:01 pm »

Railcar finished. Test run successful.

One slight problem: the IP67 switches for the headlights and LED strips do not disconnect properly.
Replacements have been ordered.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #284 on: December 24, 2019, 12:18:43 pm »

Christmas Week Project: standardising coupling heights across passenger stock and locos. I use Kadee automatic couplers for these (actually, actually..... this gives an opportunity to experiment with semi-permanently coupled four/ five car rakes with the comparatively expensive working couplings just at each end...), which are great but they all need to be at the same height.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #285 on: December 26, 2019, 07:05:52 pm »

I think this might be one of those tasks that gets started with a bit of enthusiasm, drags on... and on and on.... and finally gets finished in a sort of 'I'll see the back of you if it kills me' mood.  Sorting out the coupling heights across what feels like far too many locomotives and carriages.  I should have bought the gauge first and it would save me the hassle now, but we are where we are and that's all there is to it.  Anyway; one loco and six carriages looked at, leaving.... ugh.... loads to go. 
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #286 on: December 28, 2019, 03:07:15 pm »

Next stage finished.
The transporting cage for the Taigatrommel has been welded.
Not I need to make "buffer stops".
Pieces of angle iron to go infront of and over the loco buffers. These will be bolted onto the cage to suit the loco length and keep the loco stable during transport.
The cage was designed just for the 1.65 Taigatrommel, but turned out to be a 2m long monstrosity so it can keep a steamer and tender, a shorter loco (using different holes to bolt the stops to the cage) or maybe a longer loco that I do not have yet....
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #287 on: December 31, 2019, 01:07:22 pm »

Much noise outside, ideal time to test the green monster.

Went ok for a few minutes, then died.
I checked the screws on the cylinder head and found that some could be turned by about 20 degrees. Tightened them and off we went.
With the new head gasket the monster runs at a terrific pace of 5.2 kph.
Motor works ok. The exhaust manifold is leaking.
Should be easy to fix that.....
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #288 on: January 02, 2020, 02:49:40 pm »

If you have no space for a layout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRszCj3fqJ8

Please ignore the "music"
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #289 on: January 02, 2020, 03:00:17 pm »

Fantastic!  I loved it. 
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #290 on: January 03, 2020, 11:55:46 pm »

Wow, that's just splendid!
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #291 on: January 04, 2020, 04:17:07 pm »

Now we just have to clear enough wall space ...

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #292 on: January 05, 2020, 02:14:40 pm »

Just remember to count your locos and wagons in the display cabinet after the running session is over......
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #293 on: January 09, 2020, 08:29:40 pm »

More projects incoming.  Somehow last night a Triang Nellie happened....
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #294 on: January 09, 2020, 10:22:04 pm »

Taigatrommel in the workshop for detailing.
LEt´ssee if I canstart thedrivingdesks and cab interiors before another project needs thefull workshop capacity.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #295 on: January 12, 2020, 10:40:51 am »

For the first time in a few months I had a serious go at the 2-4-2 tank yesterday.  Lining on the tank and bunker sides got done, and then whilst I was looing at the wheels (I took the connecting rods off to paint the wheel faces) I noticed that the original brass chassis was a bit on the skewiff side; that is, the one axle was ever-so-slightly not square.  Consequently the connecting rods would bind and it wouldn't run smoothy. 

I had a spare 'Smokey Joe' chassis and I thought it would be a fairly simple task to swap the chassis over, and swap the wheels over.  Good joke!  A few hours later I'd hacked enough out of the chassis and the bodywork to get the two to fit together; then it was a case of trying to get the wheels onto the new chassis and that.... was horrible.  The amount of force required to press the wheel on makes me fear that in so doing the chassis will itself become irreparably damaged if something were to slip....

Eventually I threw in the towel and resorted to chequebook modelling.  I bought a pair of Bachmann 2-4-2 tank engines which will either donate their chassis to the pair I'm building, or if that can't be easily managed, I'll convert them into what I'm modelling. 
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #296 on: January 16, 2020, 10:39:34 am »

Quite some time ago I mentioned the legendary test run of class 216 with the new motor controller and the (now) too weak wiring.

I just rediscovered the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbipV7Zuqo&feature=youtu.be

Wiring has since been updated to proper diameter.
The smoke had been caused by my adapter wiring.
The copper was glowing bright orangs (visible only before the smoke had filled the cab) and the insulation just melted and dripped down onto the cab floor.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #297 on: January 19, 2020, 12:46:17 pm »

Some more bits and pieces arrived last week;

- A Triang 'Nellie' 0-4-0, for my planned steampunk diorama (which the more I think about it, takes the form of a combination running shed and erection shop). 

- Two Bachmann Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway 2-4-2 tank engines, which I initially bought for their running gear but the more I look at them the more I think I can do something with their bodywork too and convert the whole model to similar Great Central locomotives.  They would require whole new cabs, lengthened bunkers and new chimneys but much of the remainder of the work is then small details and repainting... I'll have to look up when the last of the type were converted to Belpaire fireboxes otherwise I'm hoping I can get away with retaining the round top type the Bachmann models have. 

Oh, I also found and bought a Hornby refridgerator van which has been repainted into GCR livery (grey with a white star and 'REFRIDGERATOR' in red block capitals).   
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #298 on: January 20, 2020, 03:05:23 am »

These had been waiting for some time. Privateer Press' Lantern Man and Hollowmen.

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #299 on: January 20, 2020, 10:27:04 pm »

Some more bits and pieces arrived last week;

- A Triang 'Nellie' 0-4-0, for my planned steampunk diorama (which the more I think about it, takes the form of a combination running shed and erection shop). 

Any chance of a photo please?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: