The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 16, 2021, 06:58:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Brassgoggles Model Making Club (the second non-SP model making thread).  (Read 25703 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #250 on: November 16, 2019, 06:18:55 pm »

Weekend update time!

The long wheelbase open wagon is finished....

It's actually quite a nice model, my regard for whitemetal notwithstanding.  Unfortunately I don't think it is currently available from the GCRS, otherwise I might have bought one or two more.

And the next project...

This loco has a bit of an interesting history, in that I bought it several years ago via Ebay.  When it arrived it was sporting 4'6" driving wheels and LNER black livery.  I fitted some Hornby M7 driving wheels to it and left it at that (actually, no, that's not right.  I destroyed the frames fore and aft trying to get it to go round 1st radius curves).  Then when I decided to move my modelling date back to pregrouping, it joined a long long list of locos in need of attention (which I do look at, now and again, and occasionally pick one at random and do some work on it). 

So, in this go through the works, I have replaced the LNER flowerpot chimney with a Robinson type and reinstated the frames.  The paintwork is very much a work in progress right now.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #251 on: November 16, 2019, 11:09:47 pm »

Nice little tank.

I did not get too much done this week.

Parts for the TCE arrived and were fitted. Another O-gauge flat wagon with a tank on it arrived.
Detailing on Armored railcar and Taigatrommel will be continued next.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #252 on: November 17, 2019, 02:57:54 pm »

Well, there's been something of a shift for me, as I've obtained an MTK kit for a BR 06 shunter.

Now, I've never had anything to do with diesel locos before (usually I find them a little bit 'meh' and lacking in personality/a bit too same-y for me), but this one drew me in for some reason. So watch this space....

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #253 on: November 18, 2019, 08:03:06 am »

I am also havon Diseasel troubles.
My 0-6-0 shunter (loosely based on a 08) is still waiting for some parts to be delivered.
The head gasket of the old Villiers F.07 engine seems to blow by when the engine is hot.
Parts should have been delivered last week......
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #254 on: November 23, 2019, 02:47:34 pm »

Things might very well slow down to a complete stop (or close to) with Hednesford #1 Shop over the coming months.  Fingers crossed a house is happening....
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #255 on: November 23, 2019, 08:46:28 pm »

Things might very well slow down to a complete stop (or close to) with Hednesford #1 Shop over the coming months.  Fingers crossed a house is happening....

That might be a very good reason for interrupted service.

I spent today replacing the head gasket of the green monster.
The old gasket was broken in two places.
I gave the new one a thin layer of non-hardening high-temperature sealing compound.
Hope that will do the trick.

Can´t wait for the test run.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #256 on: December 02, 2019, 08:18:25 am »

finally,

found a Märklin gauge 1 EE64 type loco.
These were operated almost directly from the mains with just two light bulbs as resistor to control the speed.
This kind of operation was forbidden to be produced in 1922 (i think).
Then the usual maximum of 24 Volts was introduced.
Will use an isolation transformer as basic protection to run it.
Can´t wait for the parcel to arrive.
Let´s see how much work she will need....
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #257 on: December 02, 2019, 07:55:56 pm »

Nice catch! 
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #258 on: December 04, 2019, 08:12:41 am »

for those not familliar with "ancient" gauge 1:

She looks like this:

Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #259 on: December 04, 2019, 11:06:36 am »

for those not familliar with "ancient" gauge 1:

She looks like this:

Is it just me, or is that particular example missing a trailing axle/bogie?
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #260 on: December 04, 2019, 11:52:16 am »

No, that´s the way they were made.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #261 on: December 04, 2019, 08:55:06 pm »

So how does it get around corners without the rear overhang throwing the tender and train off the track?  Just struggling to see how it works at the moment.  Unless the tender footplate has a pin that engages with a big slot in the underside of the cab. 
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #262 on: December 05, 2019, 07:47:38 am »

That´s easy.

The loco from below:

shows the coupling pin fixes on a lever at the front of the cab.

The tender:

has a long circular slot and a moveable coupling bar.

That´s the trick.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #263 on: December 05, 2019, 09:55:01 pm »

Ahh; the reverse of what I thought then.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #264 on: December 06, 2019, 04:41:37 pm »

Well my 06 shunter has reached the point where I'm happy to show it off (this will probably my last offering for a while as I'm due to relocate this weekend and am not sure what space/opportunities I'll have for perusing the hobby)

Obviously it still needs some work, such as the cab roof, however, such a large interior space is CRYING out for a driver and or cab interior (to my mind at least) so, for the sake of convenience that's going to wait until I've found a suitable donor chassis and carried out any and all fiddling that needs to be done, and I have an idea of what space I then have to play with.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #265 on: December 06, 2019, 07:54:14 pm »

EE64 arrived today.

Better than expected.
Dummy whistle and missing screws have been found and are in the mail.

Wiring is *beeeeeeep*-ed up. Some people should not touch a soldering iron.
(as expected)
Coil that operates the reversing mechanism has a broken wire (of course the inner connection) so I wound all the wire off today.
Hope to re-wind it tomorrow.
Motor has received a cleaning and oiling session. It runs far better than expected.
Lamps to be connected again, wiring to be re-done from zero.

Quite good shape for a model made between 1919 and 1925......
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #266 on: December 06, 2019, 10:03:21 pm »

Things are moving forward with the house but I'm anticipating it will be a few months at least before I move in, if all goes well.  Then there's the small matter of wanting to take it back internally to something approaching original appearance, which no doubt will be a long term project.  RLS will probably become the long term project that gets looked at between bouts of work on the other long term project... to be expected when you buy an Edwardian house really, it goes with the territory.

Meanwhile though I've started serious design work and bought a paper download kit for a stable block to pair up with the goods yard offices I built a year or so back.  The plan for that, much like the station buildings for Cremorne & Pittance, is to use it as a template for practically a scratchbuild in plastic.

Serious design work I hear you cry- when I have a track plan already?  Well, you see, the station plan I have is pretty much just Phase One.  Also, I'm not particularly happy with the goods yard arrangement and- a lot of planning thus far has been of the 'if I had some space' sort.  Now that (fingers crossed) I have the space, and I know how much of it I have (13' by 9', or thereabouts), I can start seeing what will fit.  I'm reading a lot of Iain Rice books at the moment, specifically how to avoid a rectangular room leading to a rectangular layout.  Initial thoughts are to create almost a triangle with a curved 'bottom'.  One straight (actually a long gentle curve) will conclude with Red Lion Square station.  That will lead into approximately a 4'-radius curve across the 9' wall on the inside of which will be built a small running shed. The main lines at this point might actually be hidden behind a backscene, so splitting the layout into a couple of vignettes.  Once past that and on the other 13' wall the main lines would be back in the open and run through open country side and C&P station before entering a fiddle yard of some description, but not before passing an interchange siding with a narrow gauge network serving a waterworks.  You might see here that I've basically taken elements from several layout plans I like the look of and am trying to hammer them into one design.  We'll see how that turns out. Four walls, four vignettes then- a busy town terminus, a small mpd, a bit of a run through open countryside and a neat relatively bucolic bit of industry. 
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #267 on: December 07, 2019, 10:35:14 am »

Hi James,

I recommend an "around the room" layout.

Disadvantage: you have to crawl on your hands and knees to get into the middle.

Advantages:
you only see the inside of the curves, so no huge gaps between the wagon buffers/concertinas
you can have more gentle curves in general
you can be close to any shunting movement with a walk-around controller withour having to run "rund the block" again and again
"almost" everything is within reach.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #268 on: December 07, 2019, 01:53:43 pm »

That's broadly what I have in mind, but I don't want an obvious 'roundy-roundy', I don't want something that completely fills the room to the detriment of everything else (bearing in mind I've also got it earmarked as my workshop and somewhere to keep my model warships), and I don't want something that ultimately becomes too unwieldy to complete, maintain or operate.  It's a bit of a tall order but I think if I can avoid the Railway Modeller 'we filled a room with shop-bought stuff' result I'll be on the right lines.   
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #269 on: December 07, 2019, 05:38:38 pm »

It seems to me your best bet might be an "L shaped" or "U shaped" layout along 2 or 3 walls of the room. That way you can utilise the maximum amount of space, and incorporate everything you seem to want to achieve, but still be able to use the room as something other than a home for your layout (say, put a work bench along the unused(s) wall so as you have somewhere to carry out maintenance/work on other projects, and a shelf/shelves above and or below the layout for storage and or display).

The downside is you probably wouldn't be able to create a true roundy-round layout, but you could incorporate a turning loop into each end of the layout if that's what you want (by connecting the down line to the up-line behind a scenic break); or given your previously shared work/plans I'd suggest a fiddle yard at one end, and a loop at the other, which might work better.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #270 on: December 07, 2019, 05:52:45 pm »

IT´s aliiiiive!

A friend "volunteered" to help me wind the new coil.
Took two hours using a rotating fixture powered by me using a hand crank.

After installing the coil there were some minor issues that were quickly found and dealt with.
Now she runs and reverses like she should.

Dummy whistle due to arrive next week.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #271 on: December 07, 2019, 09:38:51 pm »

Here´s the short video:

https://youtu.be/MSH2PmV7FIg
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #272 on: December 08, 2019, 01:16:32 pm »

Ohhh!  Very nice indeed. 
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #273 on: December 15, 2019, 10:10:02 pm »

*dusts off the workbench*

Where is everybody?

Did some small repairs to O-geuge locos.
Some received new pickups as the old ones were worn, damaged or otherwise unuseable.
I found that my Märklin R12890 (rare maroon version) kept slipping, even with no load.
I checked the pickups and found that they were touching the rails with their full length.
Investigation showed that the wheels were worn.
There was a real groove about 1mm deep on each wheel near the flange.
Before I bought it, that loco must have covered endless miles, maybe in a shop window.
A set of new (old stock) replacement wheels will do the trick.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #274 on: December 16, 2019, 07:47:14 pm »

In between trying to sort out mortgages, getting ready for Christmas, work and what-not my spare time has almost dried up and my get up and go has... got up and gone.  It might come back late this week when I finish for Christmas break.  Which reminds me I need to sort out a Christmas Week Project. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: