The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 05, 2020, 02:45:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Brassgoggles Model Making Club (the second non-SP model making thread).  (Read 18400 times)
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #200 on: October 04, 2019, 09:52:51 am »

Just went to see a friend who maked the handrails for the Taigatrommel.
He has built many locos and even more boilers.
We wanted to chome-plate the handrails but this did not work properly.
They looked patchy.
his solution: he silver-plated them.
Looks good.
Can´t wait to mount them to the loco.

Silver-plated handrails!! Wow, how flash is that!
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #201 on: October 05, 2019, 04:39:53 pm »

Lamp housings mounted:

3d printed parts.

4 big and 4 small ones for 1 bit more than 11 Euros.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #202 on: October 05, 2019, 05:04:07 pm »

Very nice!

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #203 on: October 05, 2019, 06:37:46 pm »

Pardon me if you've already answered this, Bullet, but what scale is that? It's obviously not HO. Tongue

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #204 on: October 05, 2019, 07:44:31 pm »

No problem.

This is 5" gauge. Scale 1 to 11.3
The monster is 1.65 metres buffer to buffer ans weighs waaaay more than 100 kg.

Humbrol can for scale in these pics:
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,33399.msg995866.html#msg995866

Six axle-hung motors, 300 Amp motor controller.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #205 on: October 05, 2019, 11:45:47 pm »

This has been interesting, I clicked on the link for a quick reminder and spent 45mins digging through my contributions to the old thread (in the process reminding me of the various projects I've done/started). It's been a somewhat daunting experience to realise how far I've come in the past 4 years, but fun.

It's also reminded me of the stuff I need to sort out (which mostly involve running/testing models which I've been unable to do). But, given another (unplanned) relocation (again down to problems IRL) is on the cards some of those will be soon addressed (hopefully).

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2019, 11:57:35 pm »

Lamp housings mounted:
3d printed parts.
4 big and 4 small ones for 1 bit more than 11 Euros.

Looking very smart, indeed - proper job!
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #207 on: October 08, 2019, 12:41:14 pm »

Picked up the handrails today.

I think this will change the whole look of the loco.

Need to order decals and other small stuff now.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #208 on: October 13, 2019, 11:47:11 am »

As of yesterday lunchtime....

It's getting pretty close completion now.  I've gone for the bare minimum of photoetch, just the very few bits that are necessary for the structure of the model (so, a few pieces of plate, a grille and the ratlines to the masts- which have yet to be fitted).  I hate photoetch, largely because 1. the kit designer rarely considers how it will actually be fitted to the model, 2. you usually find you have to do some weird and wonderful origami-type thing with it which unless you have a specific tool that will cost a fortune and be used exactly twice is a hiding to nothing, 3. it always seems to be used for components that would perhaps better have been done in plastic (such as gunshields). 

So, work still to do runs to the aforementioned ratlines and the ships' boats.  I ignored the photoetched railings in favour of canvas shrouding cut from watercolour paper and coated with PVA to stiffen it up.  The boats, whilst the davits of course do need to be built and fitted, themselves might be left off.  As I think there's an element of 'support this heavy component via two tiny pieces of photoetch which we've not considered how they are positively fixed to the davits' about them- or so the instructions suggest.

Overall though, this is really building up into a most attractive little model, and I think wins the award for 'most steampunk ship in the fleet'.  Unless at some point I buy the other Beiyang Fleet model, which is a truly bonkers 12"-gunned battleship...

Yes, those guns are placed one ahead of the other, almost side by side....
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #209 on: October 13, 2019, 12:51:54 pm »

Well, following my unwelcome and enforced relocation things have settled down enough for me to reopen Walesmoor works after being mothballed for the last 4 and a bit years (the last project I did here was my first Dapol/kitmaster pug). And here's the result so far...

This is the GWR 4 Wheeled coach I bought a few weeks ago for use as a stores/tool van for the PW train I suddenly decided to model.

And, as proof of how far my skills have improved/developed, I'm doing something new, which is modeling an interior from plastic strip.

I'm hoping (once suitably painted) that these simple boxes will give a decent impression of a workbench, seat and tool box. I'm tempted to add a few more similar things further along (maybe blocking up the windows on the other side of the door) in what would have been the guards/luggage compartment.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #210 on: October 13, 2019, 02:56:12 pm »

That looks good, I did/ do something similar with my coaching stock that requires an interior.  The windows tend to be so small, and the interiors so dark, that all that's required are some appropriately shaped lumps of material to get the effect. 
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #211 on: October 13, 2019, 03:17:39 pm »

That workshop look sgood.
I would cover the windows next to one workbench as flying sparks (grinding, etc.) would damage them anyway.
Much effort goes into interiors that are usually hardly seen.
Sometimes one can see more than expected.

I have started building an 0-gauge fire-station from scratch. When putting it in place to see if it fits I noticed that one inside wall is almost completely visible in spite of the car being in its place.
So I too had to make some workbenches.
As this is just a raw model no photos yet.

I have spent some time cutting the 20 by 20 mm square tube to size so welding can begin tomorrow.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #212 on: October 13, 2019, 04:14:07 pm »

Because the Chih Yuen has now reached the point where you spend ten minutes on it, then have to leave it for a day for bits to set or dry out, I've taken one of my carriage onto the bench for a rebuild. 

It's a Graham Farish carriage dating from the 1970s and I'd previously done some work on it by painting my own teak finish, drawing a matchboarding effect on it and painting the interior.  Since first building it I've refined my teaking finish and discovered that the black ends aren't right... so back into the works for a new teak effect and to have the matchboarding scratched into it. 

It should be a nice, fairly quick and easy, little project.  Or, rather, quick and easy to do one, 25 more to do...

Once those two projects are off the bench I'll be trying out my new soldering set-up.  Temperature controlled iron, a small hold and fold, liquid flux and both low-melt and 'normal' solder.  I'm undecided at the moment whether I'll try my hand at a whitemetal kit or a brass one (in total I have five to build, two of the former and three of the latter), but hopefully 'soon' I'll have one of them built. 
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #213 on: October 13, 2019, 05:28:17 pm »

It should be a nice, fairly quick and easy, little project. 

Forget it.....I tried lots of those.
There is always the "I could add this" or "while I am at it...."
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #214 on: October 14, 2019, 01:35:32 pm »

Well some more work on the tools van has seen a couple of windows being blocked up, (along with a few bits of plastic conduit to suggest shelves/pigeon holes)

All it needs now is to be painted, and have the glazing fitted.
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #215 on: October 15, 2019, 10:21:40 am »

Test-fitted the handrails (silver-plated....)

A few minor adjustments are needed before they can be fitted permanently.

Work on the locos has been stopped in order to weld up the storage shelf for my wagons.
First of three frames welded up yesterday.
This will give space for 20 units.
Due to an ancient floor drain the floor is not level so the vertical posts are of different length.
The right front beam is 4.7cm longer than left front beam, while being only 1.8 m apart.
I will fit the rails 5mm higher at the front than at the back so all wagons will stay in the shelf, forced by gravity.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #216 on: October 17, 2019, 03:52:53 pm »

(Update 1)

Chih Yuen is finished.  Absolute minimum of the photo etch used and yet it still looks very presentable; make of that what you will...

I then started looking at another of my carriages; broadly this was a simple task of scratching a matchboard effect onto the sides and then repainting it in a better teak finish.  That's now done but the paint being what it is, even though I worked it up yesterday afternoon it's still 'tacky'... so not yet ready for final transfers and varnishing. 

Leading onto my next update....
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #217 on: October 17, 2019, 04:02:14 pm »

(Update 2)

I've decided that my stash of whitemetal and brass kits really need to be sorted out.  Some of them I've had for several years.

So, to that end, over the last few months I've started stockpiling tools and materials to really have a proper go at soldering.  Low melt solder, a temperature-variable iron, an etch-folding tool, liquid flux, etching primer....

The first kit I came to in my stash was a pair of GCR bolster wagons in whitemetal.  Some of these kits, the instructions basically consist of a page or two of closely-typed tersely-written notes, and this was one of them. 

Looking at the components you have the wagon ends and sides, buffers, brakegear and a piece of plastic for the wagon floor.  I decided that really there was too little material there to be able to solder it so I used UHU glue instead.  The problem with gluing whitemetal is that the stuffis quite shiny so the glue struggles to take.  The problem with soldering whitemetal is that it has a low melting point.... make your choice and struggle on.   

Anyhow, I finally got it all built up and square and it is now setting. I'm toying with the idea of flooding the corner joints with low-melt solder at some point to really get a strong model. 

The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #218 on: October 18, 2019, 07:16:36 am »

First eight of twenty bays are welded.
The wagon looks a bit lost:

And the enamel tin for scale James.

Still have to weld the rails for the remaining 12 bays in, fit a rear buffer beam and paint the whole thing.

chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #219 on: October 18, 2019, 09:53:23 am »

Recently I made these two items:

And entered them into this event:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10162246218245521&type=3

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #220 on: October 18, 2019, 09:53:21 pm »

Finally:

Now I need to weld the buffer stops (bars) for the left column in. The remaining ones will be fastened to the wall.

Then a bit of paint and this one is finished. Then I can build the loading ramp and put the wagons in.
That will give me some space (bets are being taken how long it will last).
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #221 on: October 19, 2019, 09:31:46 am »

I had a go at whitemetal soldering.  Admittedly the circumstances around my go at it (parts had glue and paint on them, might not be using the right flux and so on and so forth) meant that it was an inevitable sorry failure so I'm still not keen on the technique, but I might give it another try on a new kit. 

Otherwise soldering will be one of those things I reserve for brass and nickel silver...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #222 on: October 20, 2019, 09:31:17 am »

Recently I made these two items:

And entered them into this event:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10162246218245521&type=3

I say!  Those are nice.  Are they kits or scratchbuild or? 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #223 on: October 20, 2019, 09:37:10 am »

The half-built bolster wagons collapsed, again.  The problem is that the whitemetal castings are quite heavy, the floor is basically cosmetic and the wheels rely on the axleboxes (and by extension the sides they are cast as part of) staying vertical to hold the axles in place.  The problem was that no matter how much material went into the joints, the sides would always splay (or rotate about the connection with the floor, spreading the axle boxes.  At which point the axles dropped out, or the wagon collapsed onto the wheeltreads. 

So I went back to first principles and turned the construction about face.  The floor is now structural, the axles are supported by basically some inside bearings fixed directly to the underside of the floor, and the sides are cosmetic and hung off the floor.  I've lost a lot of the free rolling aspect but I'm not too concerned about that as I'm only intending to run 8 or 9 goods vehicles to a train. 

Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #224 on: October 21, 2019, 04:38:18 pm »

Well I've been working away, and the tools/mess van has finally been painted.

It still needs some finishing touches, particularly weathering the roof, but that can wait.

I've also been working on one or two other items on which progress had stalled due to lack of bits (or rather access to the relevant bits), with the result I now have what could easily be used as a full GWR goods train.

Now, all that's needed is a loco to pull it. Hmm, where did I put that Collett Goods kit?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: