The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 20, 2019, 11:34:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Brassgoggles Model Making Club (the second non-SP model making thread).  (Read 5208 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #175 on: September 07, 2019, 12:08:45 pm »

Thought it was; I built one a few years ago. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #176 on: September 12, 2019, 02:31:23 pm »

Thought it was; I built one a few years ago. 

I seem to recall, you mentioned planning to use as a War memorial outside the station on RLS IIRC.

In other news, an impulse purchase has seen me making a foray into narrow gauge. But this isn't 009 gauge, oh no, by mistake, I bought an N-6.5 (or Nn3) kit (N gauge or 1:148 scale narrow gauge running on z gauge track).

But having now acquired some suitable track and controller I might build a small layout for it to run on.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering how exactly how small Z gauge is, here's the donor loco I used for the chassis next to a 10p coin for scale.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #177 on: September 12, 2019, 07:03:11 pm »

:O  Slippery slope.  Narrow gauge beet narrow gauge; I'm looking into buying some more 009 stuff to go with the loco and wagons from Porthmadog a few years ago. 
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #178 on: September 14, 2019, 05:42:36 pm »

G10 is finished.

Here after painting.

Speedo in place.
I hid the cable in a brass pipe that I used to imitate the brake rod.

Hinged part of roof closed.

...and open to see speedo.

I must admit I am not really interested in the speed but rather in the distance travelled on one running day.
Let´s see.

Next project:
A big storage system in a spare room in the basement as there is no space to put the two Wagons I just finished......

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #179 on: September 15, 2019, 12:21:26 pm »

This is what I'm working on...

Bit of deja vu here as I had a go at an identical kit a few years ago.  Enthusiasm flagged, progress slowly ground to a halt and, frustratingly, I came to the conclusion it would never be looked at again (and was then discarded) about six months ago. 

So why did work grind to a halt?  Frustration, largely, at the amount of awkward photoetch needing looking at, most of the model was painted white and yellow- two colours notoriously difficult to get a good finish to, as I'm finding again, plus the subject itself doesn't really gel with anything else in my collection. 

So this time much of the photoetch will be ignored, except for the handrails- and for those I'm going to strengthen them up by using watercolour paper to suggest the canvas shrouds they would have supported are in place.  Then I'm using this as a test piece for a largely acrylic paint approach- which dries so much quicker than the enamels I was using on the last attempt- even if I need five or six coats to get a nice even finish I can get that done so much quicker and keep visible progress up; enthusiasm is easier to maintain if you can see a result for a few hours' work...
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #180 on: September 15, 2019, 03:32:19 pm »

First kilometre done:

The part of the roof can be turned to fully closed position.

Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #181 on: September 15, 2019, 08:35:24 pm »

Well, after an impulsive and expensive trip to show yesterday I have kits for another 2 ballast wagons, (bringing me that much closer to a full ballast train) along with a hand crane and match truck, which I may just put in a siding somewhere (when if I get round to building a 00 layout, or I may use as part of a permanent way train (4 and 6 wheeled pre grouping  coaches are eay enough to get hold of cheaply and could serve as mess/tool vans...)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #182 on: September 17, 2019, 07:13:02 pm »

125 years ago today the subject of my latest project blew up and sank in action with the Japanese in the Battle of the Yalu River. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_cruiser_Zhiyuan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Yalu_River_(1894)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: