The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 16, 2019, 05:34:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairy tales re-imagined  (Read 280 times)
Owl of Nevermore
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: April 17, 2019, 10:35:49 pm »

This new look on some of the fairy tales and classic stories actually started last year, when I found a DVD of The Secret Garden retold with a steampunk twist. It was actually a really interesting take on the story. I must admit, it did inspire me in drawing and start my interest in writing within the steampunk genre.

So, while reading some stories in The Brother's Grimm, I wondered if they would be any different or add a new level to the characters and the tale if they were in a steampunk setting. Not just Brother's Grimm stories, but other fairy tales and classic stories also.

For a while I played around with the idea of Beauty and the Beast in that world, managed to come up with possibilities for some of the characters, and how the talking/people turned furniture could work. Alas the titular beast always tripped me up, thinking how he would fit into that world sans magic. I've long scrapped that idea of writing a steampunk retelling because it went nowhere without the beast. My lack of knowledge in the culture might have contributed to that creative block too.

Are there any fairy tales you have thought about re-imagined as steampunk? Even if they didn't work out.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 12:04:42 am »

This new look on some of the fairy tales and classic stories actually started last year, when I found a DVD of The Secret Garden retold with a steampunk twist. It was actually a really interesting take on the story. I must admit, it did inspire me in drawing and start my interest in writing within the steampunk genre.

So, while reading some stories in The Brother's Grimm, I wondered if they would be any different or add a new level to the characters and the tale if they were in a steampunk setting. Not just Brother's Grimm stories, but other fairy tales and classic stories also.

For a while I played around with the idea of Beauty and the Beast in that world, managed to come up with possibilities for some of the characters, and how the talking/people turned furniture could work. Alas the titular beast always tripped me up, thinking how he would fit into that world sans magic. I've long scrapped that idea of writing a steampunk retelling because it went nowhere without the beast. My lack of knowledge in the culture might have contributed to that creative block too.

Are there any fairy tales you have thought about re-imagined as steampunk? Even if they didn't work out.

Could the beast could be a product of Dr. Moreau's mad experiments in the laboratory? Written in 1896 by HG Wells, I think The Island of Dr. Moreau falls squarely in the Victorian Sci-Fi Horror genre

Owl of Nevermore
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 12:21:30 am »

That is an interesting idea.
I'm not familiar with the story, me and horror genre don't mix too well. I'll have to look into it.
I think the main part that tripped me up, was that I was trying to come up with ways on how he could be the beast then be "human" again afterwards. All of them prosaic at best, some completely childish. Then I thought of him being entirely human, just his behaviour be beast like. The more I dug into it, it just put me off.
One draft, he was a steam powered robot.  Roll Eyes Silly, huh?
If ever I pick up that idea again, I will look into the possibility of him being some kind of experiment. Cheesy
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 02:22:12 am »

Here some steampunked fairy tales, stories and myths i daydreamed:

First Of All, Beauty And The Beast:  A scientist get horribly disfigured by a experiment gone wrong.

Pygmalion: A inventor fall in love with his female automaton and try to teach her love.

Pinochio: Pretty much a steampunk version of the movie A.I (who is it itself a cyberpunk version of Pinochio)

Cicada And The Ant: Life of a bum in a communist society.

King Lear: No big change, only a change in setting. I love the mix of paganism and steampunk.

Macbeth: Like King Lear, a nice example of my ''techno shamanic'' brand of steampunk thank to the weird sister.

The Snow Queen: Frozen with more sci-fi elements.

King Arthur: IN SPACE !!!! WITH KNIGHT IN STEAMPOWERED MECHA !!!!!

The Odyssey: EITHER IN SPACE OR IN A AIRSHIP !!!!

Chicken Little: Chicken Little is a scientist who think having predicted a major disaster and the fox is the Tv baron who announce his story knowing full well is baloney. Basicly a reflection on fake news and pseudo science.

A Christmas Carol: They actually already a steampunk version and it is pretty much close of how i would have done it.

The Book Of Rehnart: Think Mal Reynold mixed with Captain Jack Sparrow and you got my steampunk Rehnart.

Turtle And The Hare: The voltaic electricity powered Turtle car vs the diesel powered Hare car.

Little Red Riding Hood: Hunted little girl discover her granny is the bounty hunter pursuing her.

Cinderella: Her augmented godmother reveal to a abused teen her royal destiny and give her the mean to reclaim it.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf: His lack of serious cost the life of a boy charged to protect his town-fortress against  werewolves. In this version, the wolf take first the form of a girl ( because i’m voraphilliac) encouraging the boy in his antics.

Peter And The Wolf:  With his totemic friends, a young boy go warg hunting outside the security of his town-fortress. As you can see, it is setted in a world similar to the precedent.

The Gingerbread Man: The Abe’s Odyssey- like peril of a food slave named Gingy fleeing his fate with the help of a red haired seawomen named Foxy ( because i’m voraphilliac) with a secret agenda of a gastronomic nature.

Bluebeard: A woman discover with horror the experiments her husband Dr Bluebeard ( who look like his Fable comic version ) have been doing on his ex wifes.

Puss In Boots: The Game Of Thronesq rise to absolute power of half-cat Carabas.

Sleeping Beauty: Inoculated of a lethal sickness by vengeful mad doctoress Carabosse ( Maleficent’s actual name) , a young girl is put in cryogenic sleep until a cure is found a century later by the girl’s self-longevity enhanced childhood lover ( because consensuality).

Snow White And The Seven Knights ( the russian version of the seven dwarves): Power struggle in a eugenic society where power is determined by genetic perfection and the mirror like supercomputer making the analysis. Snow White while be aided in her war against her stepmother by her sister Red Rose and seven steam mecha knights.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 03:26:23 am by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: