The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 26, 2019, 01:03:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Describing Steampunk attire  (Read 268 times)
John G.
Swab

United States United States

« on: April 12, 2019, 01:16:24 am »

Greetings one and all. As always I hope some kind soul can help an unproduced screenwriter/author.  I am (been told) to rewrite my teleplay into a novel. The story entails Steam, cyber, goth, deco, diesel punks as well as Transhumanism and mad max type of Outlanders. I'm in need of help in describing Steampunk attire, as well as conveyances and props.  I hope someone can render assistance, to a thesaurus or other such descriptive sources.
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 02:47:52 am »

Steampunk attire is a very broad topic. It means different things to different people; anything from Wild West to Victorian British, including Military, Paramilitary, Upper Class, Working Tradesman, Mad Scientist, Colonial Officers, and much more. with variations on them all! But for a quick reference, you could do worse than  checking out the Historical Emporium online shop (www.historicalemporium.com) and looking at the Steampunk collection. Remember to check out the Accessories pages. You won't see every kind of Steampunk, but what you do see will be  correct.

Also listen to Sir Reginald Predefined Esq.'s "Just Glue Some Gears On It and Call It Steampunk" on Youtube to learn what to avoid!

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 03:39:53 am »

You might also want to check out some of the outfits people have put on flicker.  Scroll through for a while and pick out some looks/items/accessories that would work for your characters.  How you describe them is up to you.

Check out the Tactile threads for accessories, conveyances etc.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 10:12:14 pm »

Greetings one and all. As always I hope some kind soul can help an unproduced screenwriter/author.  I am (been told) to rewrite my teleplay into a novel. The story entails Steam, cyber, goth, deco, diesel punks as well as Transhumanism and mad max type of Outlanders. I'm in need of help in describing Steampunk attire, as well as conveyances and props.  I hope someone can render assistance, to a thesaurus or other such descriptive sources.

Can you give us some global description of said novel? The Steam, Diesel, Cyber, and Post-apocalyptic mix you detail encompasses quite a large breath of subjects and styles of clothing.

John G.
Swab

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 01:46:08 am »

Thank you one and all.  I am definitely going to be watching that YouTube channel.  Unlike a screenplay or teleplay, where I can just describer the wardrobe and props as Steampunk conveyance or wardrobe and let the costuming director handle the actual, in novels alas I am finding out the is not permissible.  Roll Eyes 

MR. Wilhelm, the world of HOSTAGES is set in an alternative earth fantasy realm. After decades of warfare, this world has come to peace, but under the ideology Respectful co-existence.  Seeing their uniqness, the people set into different style lives and realms.  The Sovereignty of Atlar Steam Punk, Victorian, Edwardian HG Wells Jules Verne technology. The Great Lakes Confederation, A transhumanistic, cyber punk corporatocracy. The Easter Republic, Diesel, Deco punk nation set between 1945 to 1955 Earth American earth era. Timaria, the land of magic, where vampires, shapeshifters, mages, and such live in peace and total neutrality. And then there's the OUtlands, once the Dominion of Lithuria, a matriarchal dominion that was once the keystone of the ancient world, destroyed three thousand years ago by the first emperor of the Oligarian nation, now a desolate desert land ruled by mad max type outlanders.

I have the whole treatment of the series completed, but it's seven pages, and I don't think it'll fit here. 

OK now I know you're thinking how this is working out. It's working great, I received several quarter finalist standings from teleplay competitions.  And now I hear the purists saying this can't be done. Well, I say it has been done, by me.  Tongue
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 04:43:01 am »

Also listen to Sir Reginald Predefined Esq.'s "Just Glue Some Gears On It and Call It Steampunk" on Youtube to learn what to avoid!

That's Reginald Pikedevant not Predefined! Autocorrect strikes again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: