The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 22, 2020, 06:06:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freddy Mamani Building in El Alto , Bolivia  (Read 1746 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: March 26, 2019, 12:18:20 am »

( Post here because there no South American section)

Marvelously Whimsical:
https://www.reddit.com/r/architecture/comments/b58jaq/freddy_mamani_building_in_el_alto_bolivia_building/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 03:30:56 am »

( Post here because there no South American section)
No, I think this is the place for architecture. I'd like to keep North America primarily for event announcements and reports.

I do need to do some housecleaning, though.

In any case, wonderful building.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 04:17:52 am »

Some commenter in that thread wrote Art Déco.

chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 03:19:04 pm »

Eeeeh... i see it now.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 03:21:40 am »

A fabulous edifice
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 05:46:55 pm »

Very deco-like, but lacking the grace of the best deco. I don't like that the theme ends at the top of the first floor; it's like something was stacked on top of something else.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 08:48:46 pm »

Very deco-like, but lacking the grace of the best deco. I don't like that the theme ends at the top of the first floor; it's like something was stacked on top of something else.

It does look more like a facade to me. Built over an existing structure. The underlying building looks more to me like traditional small-town architecture in Latin America.

One has to consider the location. People may be misinterpreting the architect's intent when calling it Art Deco. El Alto may be Bolivia's second largest city, but at just short of a million people it is hardly the largest city in Latin America. Its roots are more Native than European, and the economic level of the country and the city is radically different from, say, Buenos Aires, Argentina. The creator calls his buildings "Cholets" a pormanteau of the words Chalet and Cholo, a once derogatory South American term for indigenous people. Here's an interesting article on El Alto, Bolivia:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/oct/17/el-alto-bolivia-architecture-culture-la-paz

A "Cholet" in El Alto, Bolivia

~~~
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 09:06:35 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 10:44:02 pm »

I rather like both buildings!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 01:51:36 am »

I rather like both buildings!

Reading the article I posted above, it does look that the intent was to be 100% Aymara Native, rather than a copy of Art Deco. But all things being equal I can't see anyone in this planet isolated enough to not have been influenced by Art Deco in some way.

Mamani is in fact an Aymara Native himself. He's borrowed the aethetics from his cultural background, and it does look like an alternate Art Deco. It's a very interesting exercise when one postulates what an alternate reality culture or a civilisation far away on another planet would develop in lieu of Victorian and Art Deco aesthetics.  It reminds me of the aesthetics of a Japanese Anime called "Wings of Honneamise," a Space Age Cold War tale that takes place in another planet dominated by two large countries hostile to one another. The flavor of the aesthetics were clearly Asian, but they re-imagined a Diesel/Space Age society similar to that during our Cold War Era.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: