The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 23, 2019, 11:48:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone seen the "Bearcats" American TV series from 1971?  (Read 333 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: March 23, 2019, 06:25:00 pm »

I found this:
"Bearcats!" TV Intro

Opening credits for a 1971 TV series. It is basically a western set prior to the United States' entry into the first World War, about two private eyes taking cases like Paladin, and traveling in a Bearcat automobile; a more plausible version of "The Wild, Wild West".

It looks like it has a lot of car chases, airplane stunts and explosions. The Wikipedia page says that the heroes fight German saboteurs. It sounds like there might have had a matinee serial influence.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 06:35:50 pm »

A little before my time; I was far too young to see that, and I was living in another country. The series was never exported to Mexico, so I wouln't have even seen re-runs of it, like so many other shows I did see. But it looks interesting.

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 08:48:04 pm »

The show was made by Filmways Productions. It is what you get when the producers of The Munsters, The Beverly Hillbillies, and Petticoat Junction make an action show. I found it on DVD on Amazon, and I will definitely have to buy it.

I think I might retitle this topic "Forgotten Steampunk TV Shows", so I have someplace to link to similar obscure shows.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 11:06:02 pm »

The show was made by Filmways Productions. It is what you get when the producers of The Munsters, The Beverly Hillbillies, and Petticoat Junction make an action show. I found it on DVD on Amazon, and I will definitely have to buy it.

I think I might retitle this topic "Forgotten Steampunk TV Shows", so I have someplace to link to similar obscure shows.

Ah My Good Bowman -

a minor correction - they did "The Adams Family" rather than "The Munsters".
It is like the difference between "Star Trek" and "Lost in Space".

I actually remember it, since Rod Taylor had some say in it, it was pretty good for the time, and died an untimely death.

from Rod Taylors website:
"Typically they worked for railroads, landowners or the government. As private citizens they were able to cross the Mexican
 border where normal lawmen or the military could not go."

"Off-screen, Taylor often was less than charming in his fights with CBS. He was adamant about making the show different,
 as he told a 1971 TV Guide article:

The one thing we've got going for us is the era. It was an interesting and funny era, with old-fashioned melodrama and
hissing the villain. ... Let's play this partly for laughs, with the broad gesture and even maybe the girl tied to the railroad tracks. ...
 The show should have the feeling of looking at daguerreotypes.

He also fought to take the characters away from the Southwest occasionally and capitalize upon the onset of World War I.
 And there were fights over censorship, too, with Taylor roaring, "What do you mean I can't look euphoric after that night
with the beautiful Mexican broad?"

Taylor won most of the battles, but the show lost the ratings war."

I completely agree with the IMDB comment:
"This exciting made-for-television movie/series pilot is way ahead of it's time, anticipating shows and movies like
"The A Team", The Delta Force, and even Speed. Why the resulting series "The Bearcats" failed and was forgotten,
remains a mystery."

I believe the concept was inspired by the movie  "The Professionals"  (1966) in which Burt Lancaster and Lee Marvin are
ex-military mercenaries for hire:
"An arrogant Texas millionaire hires four adventurers to rescue his kidnapped wife from a notorious Mexican bandit."

which in turn was based on the novel "A Mule for the Marquesa" (1964)  by Frank O'Rourke.

which in turn was based on the actual events (still looking for the doco) of a texas ranger and his partner hired to rescue a
ranchers wife from a mexican bandit around 1915.

yhs
prof marvel

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Deimos
Gunner

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 09:22:02 am »

I vaguely remember the series.....and I remember my eldest brother watching it, but that's about it.

People will almost always forgive you when you are wrong.
They will never forgive you for being right.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 11:47:30 pm »

Someone had this for sale on eBay. Probably from a press kit. Very steampunk.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: