The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 26, 2019, 11:03:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Auto Pilot Fail Moments  (Read 352 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: March 23, 2019, 01:15:34 am »

Yesterday, i forgot the bag i carry my gourd at the restaurant and only realised it when i was at the opposite side of town. I blame the fact i mostly acted on auto pilot without thinking.

What inspire me this question, which mystake do you made by automatism ?

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 07:36:42 am »

Once got a work email which was signed "Love Steve"... Since I had never met Steve and he didn't know me or if I was male or female, I assumed it was a mistake because I had nearly done it myself a few times... Sending a quick email to the spouse and/or the daughter then sending a quick work email it is easy to make that error.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 01:47:51 pm »

Probably the most common forwarding an email to myself, forgetting to replace my email address with the forwardee's!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 04:43:36 pm »

In Mexico, as a form of salutation, it is customary to give a kiss (a "peck") on the cheek while holding the hand of someone of the opposite sex that you know well (as in friends or "polite company" and only if in you're in good terms obviously). In the US you will only see this behavior among international people during public functions, academy award ceremonies, White House visits and such, typically among actors or dignitaries, etc. But in Mexico that practice is daily and common to everyone.

The rules are that Men will only greet by shaking the hand of men (no kiss), but women will kiss women or men. If this is your first time meeting someone in the street, or if this is your boss, military superior, business acquaintance or a perfect stranger then you definitely don't kiss, just shake hands. You have to be relatively close the person and in good terms.

The danger with such polite actiion is that if you're a boy/guy in school and you're greeting a row of your friends before school very early in a cold morning and you're half asleep, you might get into the "serial" kiss mode, trying to greet every one of your friends, and might forget that not all your frinds are women, leading to embarrasing situations (and possibly talk behind your back).

After more than 30 yrs of living in the US, and since I have come out as gender fluid myself, I'm now debating whether the practice is sexist, passe or both. Or just plain more polite than in the US (since I see ho harm in it). Maybe no one should be kissing no one, or to be genderless and fair everyone should be kiissing everyone - I don't know... Last I heard, the original custom is still going strong...

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 08:44:05 pm »

After more than 30 yrs of living in the US, and since I have come out as gender fluid myself, I'm now debating whether the practice is sexist, passe or both. Or just plain more polite than in the US (since I see ho harm in it). Maybe no one should be kissing no one, or to be genderless and fair everyone should be kiissing everyone - I don't know... Last I heard, the original custom is still going strong...

It is an old tradition, like opening a door for a lady; a piece of the past that has survived to the modern day. It should just be appreciated, and not destroyed through analysis of how it fits into modern gender roles.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 03:19:27 am »

It is an old tradition, like opening a door for a lady; a piece of the past that has survived to the modern day. It should just be appreciated, and not destroyed through analysis of how it fits into modern gender roles.
I don't believe I was destroying it by analysing it. Also, for the record, I like the custom. I have performed it countless times, and probably will again as soon as I go back (not soon enough)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 03:24:04 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 10:51:11 am »

Ah the greeting kiss.

in this modern day of communicable viri is could well be unhygenic & etc, not to mention gender-thingied and other unspeakables.

how about replacing it with a friendly slap-to-the-back-of-the head greeting?

naw, I think a friendly wave is far nicer. for good friends, a big bear hug. just remember , everybody should lean their head to the left. no head butts allowed.

( hmm I think I have been mentally overwhelmed by watching the annual Sumo Wrestling championships on NHK World. Live on Roku! )

konnichiwa
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: