The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 18, 2019, 03:47:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brass Sword  (Read 575 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: March 19, 2019, 01:24:28 pm »

Here a question associated with steampunk chromaticly inspired by a slip my mind made in a dream.

Do brass is a valid material for a sword blade or do such a weapon would at best only serve in ceremony.

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Deimos
Gunner
United States United States

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 06:09:38 pm »

Too brittle...no "give". Also 'way too heavy to wield when fighting for a long time, not unlike stainless steel.
OK for cons and cosplay and as a wallhanger tho', and definitely has a shiny wow factor. 

People will almost always forgive you when you are wrong.
They will never forgive you for being right.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 08:32:14 pm »

Brass may have been used since antiquity, but it was not understood as being any different from Bronze until the Medieval Era. The reason is that Zinc (vapour) was not recognized as a metal. Instead many brasses from antiquity are actually bronze alloys which may or may not contain zinc, But certainly bronze weapons were made until the 1st C. during the Roman Era.

It is only natural that bronze may have been used for weapons before steel, since steel was developed from iron. And note that bronze precedes iron - steel proper was also not recognised as such until the early medieval period because the presence of carbon to make steel was a byproduct of the forging process, so the process itself was attributed for the properties of steel vs iron.

Bronze swords appear as far back as the 17th C BC in the Aegean and Middle East. All the mythical battles recounted by the Greek, such as the Trojan War (12-13th C. BC) were fought with a mix of bronze and iron based weapons, but Roman swords were iron by their time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze_Age_sword
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Age
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass

So I'd say not brass, but bronze is a close relative, and probably would have been present in Copper+Tin+Zinc alloys during antiquity. But I agree that for modern times like the Victorian Age a brass or bronze weapons would be for decorative purposes only.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 08:48:06 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Anselmofanzero
Gunner
Germany Germany

Custom Builds on Request

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 11:13:53 pm »

As a mock up or prop, yes...but as a real blade, naw. Too soft.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 11:53:22 pm »

Brass is still used for small, decorative blades, such as paperknives, (I've had one for about forty-five years, and have other decorative ones) and can be sharpened - you could use for dinner table knives, but not suitable for fighting blades. I know how heavy the head of my brass-handled walking stick is - good for whacking, but not for sword fighting!
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 12:57:59 am »

Any decent steel (or even iron) blade would hack chunks out of it in no time flat.

Brass washed steel, now, sure. Inlays, sure.

'Invoked or not, the gods will be present.'

-The Oracle of Delphi
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 04:11:18 am »

if you are looking for the golden color there is what I've heard referred to as gunmetal which is an alloy of roughly 88% copper, 8–10% tin, and 2–4% zinc (though that can vary a bit) It's an alloy that is easily machinable and can be cast, is resistant to corrosion from steam and salt water. It's used in making steam pistons and gears, as well as the Victoria Cross medals.

and it looks nicely brassy and golden.

Blades can be made from it and the edge can be work hardened.

so yes you can make a brassy golden metal sword that's well at home in the steamy victorian setting.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: